Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the XDS ammo rating? 115 gm is probably the normal grain..Will it do a + grade without damage. I looked at the manual and it doesnt say specifically..Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What is the XDS ammo rating? 115 gm is probably the normal grain..Will it do a + grade without damage. I looked at the manual and it doesnt say specifically..Thanks
Im a first time gun owner..Im sure this has been answered a million times before, so please be polite..lol..
Thanks

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
XDS-9mm should shoot any 9mm Luger ammo just fine. The 115gr FMJ is what many use for practice/range ammo(there are other FMJ gr you could chose to practice with too). I use 124 gr and 147 gr hollow-point offerings for self-defense. The +P ammo refers to having a higher pressure or over pressure than a normal round, you really don't need this type of ammo (but you can chose to use if you want the XDS will handle it just fine). The Quality of the top standard pressure ammo will do the job. Speer Gold dots and Federal HST are a couple (i have these in the 124gr and 147 gr). There are tons of information out there on ammo, just google it, lots of videos showing testing of ammo.
If your a new gun owner may i suggest you find a good trainer in your area and take a class, great way to get started and be safe . Training and safety.

Enjoy your research and stay safe.
PS
The +P ammo will cause more recoil most likely which could affect your shooting , follow up shots could be slower or less accurate. I use to carry +P in my XDM 4.5" but not anymore, never used it in my smaller 9mm pistols due to extra recoil.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im a first time gun owner..Im sure this has been answered a million times before, so please be polite..lol..
Thanks
Hi Bertram!

I agree with Stuz that you don't really need +p. ammo - especially if your pistol has a 4" barrel. I have a XDE 9mm with a 3.8" barrel and use 124 grain HST. I waited for awhile to finally locate one and the reason was the extra barrel length which gives some more velocity (over the 3.3") The HST performs great in every test I've seen, even in the shorter barrel, but I wanted to be sure so I got the 3.8".

Rest assured the HST in either 124 grain or 147 grain will "make him change his mind".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts