Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read and read about xds battery issue. Read limp wristing, grip, light striker, and others. Haven't really had a concrete answer. I think this guys video is correct. But he doesn't have a solution.

Before calling SA, should I run about 500 rounds through it? I've only shot 28rds and 4 times I've had battery problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Clean the crap out of it. Lube the rails. White knuckle grip it and shoot it. See if you still have problems. If not, I'd suspect limp wristing is the problem. If so, let another experienced shooter shoot it and see if the problem persists. If it still happens then call SA.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Firm up your wrist and shoot the snot out of it after a good clean and lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cleaned it and lubed rails. Went and shot it again before work and it did it once. Not saying I'm not limp wristing it but I have 5 other pistols and never a problem.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
This one isn't one of those 5. If you don't like it or don't feel like dealing with the hassle of sending it back. You can send it to me. I'll pay the postage :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol I've wanted this baby for a while so I'll be keeping it. I understand the white knuckles and shoot the hell out of it. I'll try it but I don't have to do that with my xd9sc or lcp. I have a friend who is experienced shooter and I'll have him shoot it after I shoot it some more.

·
Registered
132 Posts
500 rounds through mine, had it a couple months now, same 3.3" 9mm with one failure, bad round, other than that perfect. If you were in Cali we could meet at a range and see how each other's handled. Maybe find someone near you with the same gun and do that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have you tried using higher grain bullets? I've heard the springs sometimes need to break in a bit and going up a level (i.e., to 124gr from 115gr for 9mm) can help. More rounds could help, but I'd definitely let someone you trust not to limp-wrist shoot it to be certain.

Otherwise, just squeeze the crap out of that grip and see if that helps any. From what I've seen, the XDS doesn't like any kind of light hold until it's truly broken in (whatever number of bullets that may be).

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've only used WWB. I just dropped it off with a guy who is an excellent shooter who also owns exact gun. I'll know soon if its me or the gun.

I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some guns don't require a break-in period. Some do. The tighter the tolerances, the more inclined a machine is to requiring a bit of wear to settle down. At the same time, I know of two XD-S pistols that were perfect from the box. Mine and my son-in-law's.

The XD-S is a tightly constructed pistol. Don't expect perfection from it until you've broken it in. Plan of shooting at least 2 to 3 hundred rounds through it before you start to get worried about reliability. We seem to have discovered the millenial generation doesn't have the necessary time or the willingness to adhere to the principals of the previous generation of shooters, that understood this rule.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Smoov, how do you hold it. It isn't all about white knuckling the grip. I assume sine you have others that don't have the problem that you have good mechanics but are you two handing, thumbs going in the right direction.

I like the XDS because I have small hands, if you have big hands it might be too small to get he grip in the right places.

Are you using the pinky rest add on or an extended mag?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both thumbs forward. I do have bigger hands being 6'3" and 210lbs. Lcp and xdsc are just fine when shooting. No grip extensions.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Friend racked the slide 1,150 times and thoroughly cleaned my XDs. Then went out back of his house to the range. He said it ran flawlessly. He said he'll help me tomorrow.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Friend racked the slide 1,150 times and thoroughly cleaned my XDs...
IMHO, racking the slide 1,000 plus times on a polymer pistol does not contribute to breaking in the slide. The stress/wear areas on a slide while hand racking it are not the same as when the gun is fired. Notice the horizontal and vertical forces on the slide during this slow motion video:
9mm Luger Glock 19 firing slow motion - YouTube

I liked the video in your original post. I can't understand why SA can't get their act together on this pistol to make it more reliable. This issue has been known by them since the gun was first introduced.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Showed up and shot my XDs 100 rounds and it ran flawlessly with me shooting it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Showed up and shot my XDs 100 rounds and it ran flawlessly with me shooting it.
This gun just needs to be broken in. It doesn't need a white-knuckle grip. White knuckle grips are counter-productive to good accuracy. It needs to be broken in.

Hand racking does indeed help parts to settle in, it helps springs to settle in and it helps to smooth out contact points. This has been known by custom gun smiths for nearly 100 years now. The XD may be a polymer pistol, but the slide and frame contact points are metal.

The gun is tight. It needs to be smoothed out. If more people would do this from the get-go, we wouldn't have all these threads about poor initial performance out of the box.

Dan

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agreed! I never knew this until now. He told me whenever he buys a new gun he will rack it 1,000 times before hitting the range.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The gun is tight. It needs to be smoothed out. If more people would do this from the get-go, we wouldn't have all these threads about poor initial performance out of the box.

Dan
While I'm not disagreeing with you theory, I do believe there are a good number of XDs' that have issues out-of-the-box. I've yet to own an auto pistol that didn't run right when new (after cleaning and lubing)... except for my XDs 45. Mine had the "fail to go into battery/light primer strikes" issue that we see so much of here and elsewhere.

If racking it 1000 times would have fixed it, I would think Springfield would have mentioned it when I called them - they didn't. It was apparent to me from the rim of the fired brass that the extractor was digging in too much. If I remember correctly, they did say to "clean it and lube it well", which I did - still had problems. After sending it springfield it runs perfectly. The return ticket just says "adjusted extractor". It was well lubed when it returned, but not dripping in oil like I've seen some people comment.

So I don't buy the "it's tight when new" and "it requires break in" or "your limp wristing it" arguments. When you see this many similar complaints about a product, there is usually an underlying truth to the issue. Guessing here, but most people buying an XDs aren't first time gun buyers, so they probably know a little about guns and how to shoot them.

And fwiw, I do like this gun, a lot - was very disappointed when my new one had issues. Glad it was quick and easy to resolve (kudos to Springfield for that).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts