Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
its really personal preference both guns are exactly the same size.. caliber wars are all over the internet to which is better its all opinion. I have the 45 because i like .45. but i am a good shot an can in a self defense situation take care of my self with any caliber with 1 or 2 shots.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Go with the 45. You can make a 9mm the size of a 45 but you can never make the 45 the size of a 9mm

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its really personal preference both guns are exactly the same size.. caliber wars are all over the internet to which is better its all opinion. I have the 45 because i like .45. but i am a good shot an can in a self defense situation take care of my self with any caliber with 1 or 2 shots.
Thanks for advice

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the 45 and love it. 9mm and 45 are both very good for self defense. If I were you I would look at things like ammo cost, magazine capacity, and then caliber and put that in context with your budget and level of training with handguns. 9mm ammo cost are 30% to 40% less expensive than 45acp. This translates into more rounds at the practice range. Also you have to decide if having two more rounds (as in the 9mm) makes you more comfortable with your carry gun.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Block,

There IS no one correct answer. I love 45's, but my every day carry for a while has been my XDM 9mm compact. Why? Just because. It's comfy to carry. It has a high capacity magazine. Any one of my 45's "might" be better, but the XDM 9mm is comfy enough to carry ALL OF THE TIME. Think about it. "Any" handgun on your side is worth more than 100 that are left at home in the safe.

I'm not going to get into the 9 vs 45 argument. I like them both, and alternately carry both. Yet I seem to carry the 9 more often.

Duane

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have the 3.3 9mm and carry it most of the time. I looked at ammo cost and capicity before going with the 9mm. Besides with high quality SD ammo either caliber will make a BG have a very bad day if you do your part and place your shots where they need to go.

Reactions: TeflonDon

·
Registered
350 Posts
In my opinion, the XDs is all about the 45. There are 9mm handguns to choose from that are smaller (close in width) and lighter than the XDs (and hold more rounds). There are a couple of small 45's, but nothing as sleek and nice as the XDs (again, my opinion, and yes, I like 1911's, but I'm not a fan of compact ones). So for me, it was no question, .45acp.

Also, you might want to have a look at the Mod.2 coming out in .45 soon as well: XD MOD.2 3.3 Sub-Compact Model .45ACP Springfield Armory

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Block,

There IS no one correct answer. I love 45's, but my every day carry for a while has been my XDM 9mm compact. Why? Just because. It's comfy to carry. It has a high capacity magazine. Any one of my 45's "might" be better, but the XDM 9mm is comfy enough to carry ALL OF THE TIME. Think about it.

More than 99.99% of most people's live's,

I'm not going to get into the 9 vs 45 argument. I like them both, and carry both. Yet I seem to carry the 9 more often.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went with the 45 for stopping power also I am use to shooting the 45acp. Also purchased the Shield in 9mm as though its affordable for range and training evolutions. Pretty much all comes down to user preferences. One well placed round has nothing to do with caliper size..

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I went with 9mm. Two more rounds plus I can put them on target quicker and more accurately. That's more important to me. Plus stopping power is a very overused term. Your jhp in 9mm has evolved greatly. No one has ever said after a shooting that they wished they had less bullets. 45 May be a better round but it's not so much better that 5 of them is better than 7 9mm

·
Registered
49 Posts
My opinion 2 magazines is either 10 or 14 rounds and if i need any more than that a couple things are happening. 1. Its no longer self defense its a shoot out. 2 Bad shooting or Im way over my head to be trying to defend. Regroup and preserve..

·
Registered
48 Posts
9 CC Alien Gear at 4:30 with flush mag + 1 in the pipe carry spare mag either flush or extended in a magholder llc at 1 or so o'clock.

Edit: Which ever caliber you go with invest in Talon Grips....true back saver!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had the .45 and replaced it with the 9mm. I read an article a while back where they tested .45acp in a 1911 with a 3", 4" and 5" barrel to test the effects of barrel length on the performance of the .45acp round. The 3" barrel killed the performance by making the round to slow. Even the writer stated that he was a fan of sub compact 1911's till he did this test. He recommended a barrel no shorter than 4" for .45acp. I replaced my XDs45 with a SP101 .357mag, same capacity but a much more potent round.

I also picked up a XDs9 since I liked the concept of the gun and the shorter barrel doesn't have that much of an effect on the 9mm performance. Having a few more rounds doesn't hurt either.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts