Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to work on my trigger control & am not sure if I need snap caps to prevent damage.... I hear so many conflicting opinions ?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I need to work on my trigger control & am not sure if I need snap caps to prevent damage.... I hear so many conflicting opinions ?

You are probably going to hear some more. ;)

I don't bother with snap caps in any of my striker fired pistols.

I have built 60 dry fires into my thrice weekly exercise program. In the summer I dry fire my Glocks because the XDs is usually loaded and waiting for me in the carry safe. In the winter I dry fire the XDs because the Glocks are in the carry safe.

I've dry fired my Glock 19s and Glock 30 more times than I can even estimate though I can say for sure it's close to 60,000 between the three of them with no harm evident. Aside from some discoloration from being fired so much over the last 10 years, the strikers on all three are indistinguishable from a new one. Inspection of the back side of the breech face with a bore scope reveals no damage either. The trigger, however, is MUCH better than a new one.

I've dry fired my XDs 180 times a week when it was in the big safe in the exercise room - near as I can estimate that's for 9 months spread out over the last 18 months or ~6,400 times. The striker looks new other than a tiny bit of carbon discoloration. The back side of the breech face looked pretty rough when it was new and still looks pretty rough. I took pictures of it, using the bore scope March, 2013. I also took pictures of the striker March 2013. That was after dry firing it for 3 months. The striker looks pristine. The striker channel looks like it always did.

This is the part of the striker that would impact if anything hits:

This is the Striker channel. It steps down in diameter. Deep in the hole you can see a shiny ring around the pin hole in the breech face.

I moved the bore scope farther in and took this picture of the immediate back side of the breech face:

I see no reason not to continue doing what I'm doing. This fall I'll be detail stripping the slide to clean it and I'll take some more pictures.

Fitch

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
That's something you will have to decide for yourself. Personally, I use snap caps for dry fire in all my pistols. I don't cycle the slide completely, just enough to cock the striker. That way, the snap cap stays in the chamber and doesn't get worn out by the extractor. A pack of five A-Zoom costs around $12 and can last through thousands of dry fires with that method. They will wear much quicker if you load the mag with them and cycle through them all.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I broke down and bought some for my XDS (and XDm). The trigger pull was a little stiffer than I liked. After probably 500 dry fires, I can feel it smoothing out some. At least that many more and I may not have to get a spring kit.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you want to (safely) accelerate the process: Take the gun apart and polish any piece of metal that rubs something else inside the gun. It shouldn't take much to make a huge difference.

Afterwards you can still dry-fire some to work in the springs, but otherwise you'll save yourself a lot of trouble. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the ZOOM caps but only used them a few times. Didn't think it was necessary to have them. So I just went back to dry firing my Glocks and XDs with no issues.

My advice is to do what you feel is right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So many of your experiences prove that is fine....but the manual stating its no good has me torn.... I guess it cant hurt to be on the safe side

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have snap caps for dry firing all of my center-fire handguns. Do I really need them? Maybe not. But hey, they're cheap insurance in my mind.

They are also good to have for malfunction drills, etc.

Duane

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dry firing isn't going to hurt anything. Ask any serious competitive shooter, and they'll tell you how many thousands of times they've dry fired without any problems.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Springfield says use snap caps cause they "can" prevent damage and wear.

Preventing wear = less warranty work for them , imo

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
NOTE: Extensive dry firing can accelerate component
wear/stress. use snap caps if dry firing on a regular basis.
The key words are extensive and accelerate wear.
IIRC from older threads, the part of the various XD models that could be effected was the Roll Pin... not the striker itself. I'm guessing that the serious competitive shooters Bigdeesul is referring to have replaced those roll pins with other retaining pins long ago.

So if one is just doing a hundred or so per session, a Snap-Cap is probably not necessary, but if the session is going to last all evening/every evening...
I use Snap-Caps, but that's basically out of habit.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The key word is extensive.
IIRC from older threads, the part of the various XD models that could be effected was the Roll Pin... not the striker itself.
The XDs does not have a retaining pin like the other XD models. I'm not clear what the wear point would be with the XDs (but I do use snap caps as recommended in the manual when I'm doing dry fire practice.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems like the opinions are split down the middle as I suspected. ....

·
Registered
85 Posts
The manual also says to always carry with an empty chamber....
Even so, that's a method of carry and irrelevant. Some people may choose to do that, and feel just as justified as you do carrying with one in the chamber.

The manual says it can cause accelerated wear. They designed it, I think they would know better than us.

Hey, Subaru designed my car...I'm sticking with the recommended oil. Others seem to know better and use oil not meeting the requirements for the vehicle. But do whatever you want. If someone was to damage their pistol or cause premature wear due to dry fire, even though unlikely....Oh well, they knew better. Lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts