Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To provide some history, I have an xds .45 after recall version, which I installed the PRP spring kit just a few days ago. Trigger went from over 8 lb. to 6 lb and is very nice. On my 2nd outing, I had to failures to fire rounds because of light primer strikes. This happened with my hand loads, but the gun did fire well over 200 of the same hand load batch prior to this. No problems with factory ammo firing.

So today I decided to take the striker out and polish it, as was suggested on a sticky thread (I believe) on trigger spring work. As I pulled out the striker and removed the spring etc. I noticed a significant burr up front where the striker's safety plunger contacts the striker inside the frame. I also notice that when I place the bare striker in the slide and press in the striker plunger block that this striker is sliding forward with some resistance.

Here are images of the burr, it is on the top corner of the ramped area of the striker.

I do not know now, if I should stone this burr off, or put all the factory springs back in the pistol and contact Springfield Armory for a warranty? I doubt they would sell me a striker direct. What was done during spring change out should not have caused this burr.
sparx

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is that actually a burr that sticks out? It almost looks like something was hitting on it and pressed it inward but the picture may be deceiving. I wouldn't think that the new springs would cause it since they are lighter than the originals I would believe.

If it is rubbing or catching then I guess it could cause light strikes. How about maybe just smoothing the edges off until it doesn't catch anymore?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is dented in and then of course the metal being pressed in creates high edges on two surfaces. Hard to take an image of.
No way the spring did it, I did not notice this when I changed the springs,but I was not looking in this area concentration was elsewhere.

Do you think SA would sell me a striker?
jim

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
that is normal wear for the XDs. the striker is hitting the striker safety pin. once it wears to a certain point (fit) it stops.

order a new striker from springfield and it will start the same process over again on the new striker.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, well I am going to put back the original springs and see what trigger pull is like then.
I had another failure to fire today, with a different batch of reloads, .45's reloaded on once fired brass for the first time. I hit this one a 2nd time after ejecting it and loading it again and it will not fire. Of course all factory ammo does fire.
sparx

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, I guess you could always put the original stuff back in and take those same reloads and see if they fire, if so then it is the spring kit, if not then it's a problem with the reloads. Look at it this way, by the time you switch back and forth a couple times, you'll be an expert in installing the spring kit!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I guess you could always put the original stuff back in and take those same reloads and see if they fire, if so then it is the spring kit, if not then it's a problem with the reloads. Look at it this way, by the time you switch back and forth a couple times, you'll be an expert in installing the spring kit!:rolleyes:
Yeah, well I had a 5.5lb trigger pull check today, with the kit.
I put back the factory original striker spring this afternoon, now trigger is about 6.5 lbs.

Tomorrow I will see how it works on my hand loads again and post here.
I will also try the (3) that would not fire with the PRP spring kit.

The one hand load that did not fire today fit the Wilson gauge with ease, all 3 cartridges fit right into the barrel of the xds with ease.

These hand loads all shoot fine in my Les Baer and the Sig 1911 too.

Sparx

·
Registered
96 Posts
that is normal wear for the XDs. the striker is hitting the striker safety pin. once it wears to a certain point (fit) it stops.

order a new striker from springfield and it will start the same process over again on the new striker.
If this is True this is a huge design flaw. Darn it I really liked my XDS 45.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If this is True this is a huge design flaw. Darn it I really liked my XDS 45.
I would have to agree, I cannot see why the striker would be allowed to take on peening.

I wish I could get a better image of the peened area, but you can see relatively well in the images posted.
sparx

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Perfectly normal. James has talked extensively about it last year. Happens when you dry fire to break down or just dry fire. It goes so far then stops. No biggy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A little off topic, but I saw an image in a thread a while back, on how the original grip safety/sear spring is bent to reduce pull.
I read the sticky on the subject, but cannot locate the image that shows this spring as it looks after being bent.
Anyone know where this thread is?
sparx

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
This is all normal and happened with most striker fired pistols like Glock and M&P, although the M&P is at the back of the striker.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If I recall correctly, there was a thread in here a while back that basically said it only happens when pulling the trigger during disassembly and that you could prevent it by pushing the slide back slightly before pulling the trigger. Don't know if I'm remembering right, or if it is correct, but either way I don't know that I'd be all that worked up about it.

ETA - that'll teach me not to read the 2nd page before replying.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
If I recall correctly, there was a thread in here a while back that basically said it only happens when pulling the trigger during disassembly and that you could prevent it by pushing the slide back slightly before pulling the trigger. Don't know if I'm remembering right, or if it is correct, but either way I don't know that I'd be all that worked up about it.

ETA - that'll teach me not to read the 2nd page before replying.
No that was debunked by me on a video showing that as soon as you touch the trigger moving back the safety is being disengaged.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My conclusion.
With the original factory striker spring installed I fired 50 hand load rounds, and all 3 of the hand loads that failed to fire with the PRP striker spring in the gun. Zero failures with the factory striker spring in the gun, accuracy suffers because of trigger weight and creep.

So I will have to try going back to original springs and bend the grip safety spring as shown in the sticky. Altering the sear is NOT something I will do.
sparx

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to know sparx,
Thanks for the follow up.
Yeah no problem. :)

Normally, from my experience, factory primers are harder than the primers we get to reload with, except in the case of military grade primers. Reloads usually work and factory does not.

I could shoot the crap out of the center of the target set at about 38' with the 6LB trigger pull, shame it misfires.

Now if I could find that thread with the bend images on the safety/sear spring.

sparx

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have good news to report!

I decided it would not hurt anything to polish the striker on my XDS, as was posted by RICO here:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-d...gger-reducing-pull-weight-16.html#post4386405

I polished the striker with Flitz using a Dremel and a flannel wheel. And with a jewelers file I very carefully cleaned up the burr that was on the striker from contact with the striker block.

I also polished the outside edge of the part that retains the spring on the striker.

I went a little further and polished the large section of the striker channel with a .38 caliber bore mop, again with Flitz Metal polish. I did not try to polish the front section of the striker channel which is a smaller diameter.

I made sure the channel and all the striker parts were clean and dry, and put the gun back together.

I successfully fired 75 rounds of my reloads with the complete PRP spring kit in the pistol, would have fired more but that was all the .45 ammo I had. :D

I reloaded more .45 this afternoon, will go to range tomorrow and fire another 100 rounds to be sure I have this issue solved.

Thanks to RICO for posting this info on polishing the striker. I refrained from polishing the very front area of the striker to prevent issues.
Sparx

1 - 20 of 56 Posts