Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a which one is best thread.
I already have and carry a Shield 9mm 90% of the time. I carry it either IWB or OWB depending on what I'm wearing that particular day. It is a great gun and has been 100% reliable since day one. After replacing the sear and striker block with Apex parts the trigger is now perfect. Accuracy has also been great with just about everything I've put through it.

With that being said I was in the LGS last week picking up a spare magazine when the shop owner showed me a XDs 45. I was very impressed with the look, size and feel of this gun. The trigger was pretty heavy but felt smooth. A 45 in such a small package looks like a winner to me.

I'm keeping the Shield but I would like to hear what you guys think about the side by side comparison of the two.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Regardless of what we think, you'd be best serviced going to a range and test firing both the 45 and 9 XDS. Only you will know then if you'd want one. Just as you are happier with the upgraded trigger in your shield, many here are happier with the upgraded trigger in their XDSs. So keep that in mind when you shoot a stock XDS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
UGA is right, test fire them because only you will know which you like and which is the right gun for you. I had the XDs in 45 but did not care for the recoil so its gone. As for a size comparison with the shield both guns are virtually identical in dimensions, I think the shield is a bit lighter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Yea I'd like to be able to shoot one but the nearest indoor range is about an hour away. I've only shot there once and that was when I took their CCW class 15 + years ago.
There is a guy near me that has a XDs 45 and might let me fire it a few times to get a feel for it. I'm lucky that I live out in the country and have my own range.
Recoil has never been a problem with any of my handguns so I really don't expect any surprises in that regard. Knowing how it handles and carries is the main thing I guess.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I have a Shield and had an XDs. I prefer the XDs at .45 it was honestly a better shooter and the overall quality of the XDs is higher then the Shield. The Shield is a great pistol though and you can't go wrong with either choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would drive the hour to test the gun, its better to try the gun before you buy, rather than buy it and find out you made a mistake. If recoil is a non issue you will probably like the 45. Recoil never bothered me either but I found as I have gotten older I have become more sensitive to it. Let us know how you make out and what you decide on . J L

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have the xds in 9 and 45 and recently got the shield 40 cal. Love that gun much better then the xds's. Not sure if I will hang on to them or not. May sell them both and get a shield in 9mm

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked to the guy today that lives near by and I'm going to shoot his XDs 45 on Wednesday. I've known him for a few years and the XDs that he has was previously owned my by hunting buddy. It was bought a couple years ago and has been sent back to SA on the recall.

Minkman- I already have a Shield 9. I really like it and it's not leaving. I'm interested in the XDs 45 and how it compares to the Shield.

·
Registered
7 Posts
James,
I had the Shield and Walther PPS in 40 cal, I found the recoil pretty stout from both guns, in fact they were almost identical. I guess I don't like to be punished anymore so I sold both guns. I also had a Kahr PM45 as well as the XDs 45, again as a comparison, they both shot about the same with the recoil being almost identical. One of the big problems I have / had with the XDs was that I was never able to shoot the gun well, even in 9mm and I don't know why, possibly the ergonomics of the gun. I have short fingers which on some guns affects my grip and how I reach the trigger, it was not that the gun was not accurate more something physical or that I was not doing correctly. With the Shield I was dead on right out of the box, I found that gun comfortable in my hand with a better grip and it was so easy to shoot and shoot well. I loved my Xds but it just did fit me as well as the shield so I sold them and kept the shield. J L

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have fired the Shield in 9mm. It's a ok gun, but we are comparing apples/oranges here to some degree. The XD's in .45 is a much more potent handgun in a size basically equal to the shield. Also think SA build quality is superior to S&W.

Reactions: Joao01

·
Registered
7 Posts
mrjoed2,
I think the OP started talking about the XDs in 45 then somehow we or I brought the 9mm and 40 into this and confused everything. Long and short I agree the 45 is pretty hot in the XDs. The Shield is a really nice gun but like you, I'd give the nod to the XDs for build quality. J L

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've researched the XDs 45 some more today and I'm looking forward to shooting his 45 on Wednesday. From what I've read today, even if the trigger is not to my liking the PRP spring kit really helps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've researched the XDs 45 some more today and I'm looking forward to shooting his 45 on Wednesday. From what I've read today, even if the trigger is not to my liking the PRP spring kit really helps.
I've running the stock trigger on my XDs and am very happy with it after approx 500 dry firings/with snap caps.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I've running the stock trigger on my XDs and am very happy with it after approx 500 dry firings/with snap caps.
Blasphemy ! Heretic !

Yeah , me too !:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My friend brought his XDs over this afternoon and I had 50 rounds of Federal 230 grain ball to shoot. His gun has already been sent back on the recall and has been upgraded. The roll pin was visible on the grip safety. The gun looked really good with the black frame and stainless slide.

The first thing I noticed when I gripped it was how aggressive the checkering was and that the grip was shorter than my Shield but it still felt good. The magazines also loaded easier than my Shield.

The trigger was heavier than my Shield but I was expecting that and I didnt check the pull weight on my gage. The take up was kinda long but still felt okay.

Recoil was stout but not as bad as expected and I sure could tell I was shooting something more powerful than my 9mm. After shooting it 50 times the aggressive checkering didn't seen to bother the skin on my hands.

I tried to make it malfunction by firing it strong/ weak hand only, limp wristed, gangsta and it worked every time. The only malfunction I had was when I inserted a mag and racked the slide. That caused a round to hang up and not chamber. After clearing it I never experienced any other problems.

When firing at 7 yards it was pretty easy to keep shots in the center of an IDPA target but when shooting faster the groups opened up quite a bit. Slow firing at 10,15 and 25 yards took more concentration to get good hits but it's not a target gun anyway. With practice it will get easier to make more accurate hits at longer distances.

Shooting steel targets was really fun and they slam that steel with authority.

I was impressed with this little gun to say the least.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Good deal. Personal trigger time is the best measure. I need to get more rounds through my own new XDS45. With the holidays and also purchasing a new G19, my own break-in time has lengthened. In 45 especially, the XDS is almost unique in size to power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts