Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have experience with PRP's new kit ? My post-recall manufactured XDS 45 3.3 has a whopping 9.75 lb pull, so I'm investing my 65 bucks...hopefully will get it down to 5 lbs or so.

·
Registered
112 Posts
if it is at 9.75lbs it is outside Springfield specs and you could send it back to them. I put in a PRP kit with sear a couple of weeks ago and it seemed the same as when the sear kit first came out. If it is new somehow, I would like to know. And while the kit usually reduces trigger pull maybe 1.5-2.5 lbs, if you are starting from nearly 10 lbs, that is not going to get you to 5lbs, so best advice is to send it to Springfield and get it in specs before trying to mod it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You need to adjust the grip safety spring. Mine was almosy 7.5 lbs post recall and by adjusting spring I was able to get it to 5 lbs. Search for threads here from last yr in this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
The kit is a great improvement on the trigger pull weight but does nothing for the long creep. My Glock and Shield have much better trigger break than the XDs but for some reason, I still prefer the XDs as my edc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The kit is a great improvement on the trigger pull weight but does nothing for the long creep. My Glock and Shield have much better trigger break than the XDs but for some reason, I still prefer the XDs as my edc.
I couldn't agree more. I seriously don't think there is more than a 1-1.5 lb pull weight reduction, but nothing for the long creep. I polished internals and was really hoping for something better. To be honest, I think the trigger is mushier than it was before. Lighter, but mushier. I am regretting this install. Would rather have a heavier trigger with more crisp break than the mushy trigger I have now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Anyone out there have experience with PRP's new kit ? My post-recall manufactured XDS 45 3.3 has a whopping 9.75 lb pull, so I'm investing my 65 bucks...hopefully will get it down to 5 lbs or so.
What is the condition of your gun?
How new is it? How clean is it? Makes a big difference.
I agree with UGADawgs about sending it back if it's new and clean. Something maybe gouged or twisted from the factory.
Mine started at almost 8lbs. new. It's down to an even 4lbs. after cleaning it and checking just this morning. I have the PRP spring kit w/ sear. I did not do anything to the grip safety spring. Just a whole lot of polishing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I seriously don't think there is more than a 1-1.5 lb pull weight reduction, but nothing for the long creep. I polished internals and was really hoping for something better. To be honest, I think the trigger is mushier than it was before. Lighter, but mushier. I am regretting this install. Would rather have a heavier trigger with more crisp break than the mushy trigger I have now.
That's the thing about striker fired. The smoother and lighter the action gets, the perception is that it feels mushier. What people feel on the break is actually contact and friction as the trigger bar touches the disconnector and starts pulling down the sear. A light pull and a imperceptible break make it feel mushy. My G17C is down to 2.75 lbs. and that one is very hard to feel the break. You think your still on the take-up and it breaks!
That's why I feel light triggers have no place in carry guns. At least not striker fired pistols.

·
Registered
432 Posts
That's the thing about striker fired. The smoother and lighter the action gets, the perception is that it feels mushier. What people feel on the break is actually contact and friction as the trigger bar touches the disconnector and starts pulling down the sear. A light pull and a imperceptible break make it feel mushy. My G17C is down to 2.75 lbs. and that one is very hard to feel the break. You think your still on the take-up and it breaks!
That's why I feel light triggers have no place in carry guns. At least not striker fired pistols.
I have to disagree with this statement.

The PRP kit in a XDm vs a XDs are two very different things. Yet they are both striker fired.

The XDm kit is ridiculously light, crisp, and there's nothing "mushy" about it. However, the XDs is another beast. With or without the trigger kit, the trigger pull is less than desirable.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have to disagree with this statement.

The PRP kit in a XDm vs a XDs are two very different things. Yet they are both striker fired.

The XDm kit is ridiculously light, crisp, and there's nothing "mushy" about it. However, the XDs is another beast. With or without the trigger kit, the trigger pull is less than desirable.
Ha, ha. You definitely got me on that one.
OK I digress,
I was only referring to what is called a double action striker fired pistol. You XDM is what is referred to as a single action striker fired pistol.
On Glocks and XDS (double action) the take-up on the trigger involve pulling the striker back before the sear is disengaged. This is where it is perceived as mushy since there is resistance but t is way less than stock, and feels different.
On your XDM (single action) the firing pin spring is compressed as the slide goes forward and the trigger is set. There is no puling back of the firing pin by the trigger. It's like cocking a revolver. All that is left for you to do is to take up the tiny trigger spring before disengaging the sear.

Let me guess; you already knew that and were testing me. Correct?
BTW I think a single action on striker fired is superior to double action.
On a revolver, I would want double action for convenience. Just personal preference.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So you're saying that the XDs pulls the striker back when depressing the trigger?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes, it does. The trigger bar (or connector) which is directly connected to the sear pushes the sear, which is in contact with the striker, straight back until it hits the disconnector. At that point, as you pull the trigger, the connector rides the angled part of the disconnector downwards and forces the sear off the firing pin and the gun fires.
Your XDM is a different operation entirely. The trigger's only job (relatively speaking) is to break the sear off the firing pin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed the PRP kit last night, I was dry firing all day yesterday but after work last night I was showing my buddy I was going to the range with today the difference and now my trigger isn't always "dropping"... so I can pull the trigger all the way back and it doesn't do anything sometimes. Other times you can hold it to the rear and it will eventually click.

EDIT: After further review, and a cup of coffee, I remembered that I bought a back plate cover off of Amazon and put it on late last night, and that turned out to be the issue, threw the factory base plate cover on and it is operating fine.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Very strange. Is the new back plate thicker? I can't understand that being the problem unless it was interfering with the sear moving back all the way through the disconnector function.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not sure honestly, after looking at them side by side there is a difference. I'll post a picture when I take it off again so you can see it, I'm not sure why it does it. I just got back from the range, besides a few light strikes there was no issue with the trigger/ sear operating correctly, I'll put the the factory spring back in to help with the light strike, I just figured I'd try it all out to see if any adjustments were needed.

·
Registered
226 Posts
PRP has an intermediate striker spring available that falls between the factory weight and the lighter weight version in their kit. I've been using it with a variety of ammo including re-manufactured stuff. No light strikes issues. I'm very pleased with my trigger.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts