Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my first ever gun, the XDS .45 ACP 3.3". This is going to be my everyday CC (my CPL class is in less than a week). I've done a mind numbing amount of research on different ammo and I'm personally pretty well set on using Liberty Civil Defense .45 +P 78grain - provided it shoots well in the 3.3" XDS .45 ACP.

Here's the question that I haven't yet found a clear answer for: Has anyone had any first hand experience shooting this exact ammo in the 3.3" XDS .45 ACP? I'm not looking to start some heated debate on whether or not this is gimmic ammo, or take suggestions on other types to carry instead. I just simply want to know if anyone out there has shot it. And if so, did it cycle properly in this model of gun? Feed and eject properly? Also, how many rounds have you shot?

Sorry to have to ask this... If I was a little more wealthy, I would just drop a small fortune on 300 rounds of this stuff and answer my own question. I just don't have that luxury. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
The hard part about ammo reliability is my gun may like it and yours may not. There's slight differences in the same model guns depending on when and whom assembled it. While it's not the answer you're looking for you'd be best served running a few magazines of whatever ammo you plan on carrying through the gun using whichever magazines you plan on carrying.

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
You won't know unless you verify for yourself. Personally, if I were going to use an exotic, unproven, wunder load in my pistol, I'd figure my life was worth the cost of a few hundred rounds.

As for the round...I suggest you do some more reading.

This is a good start: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've never shot it but all of the ballistics tests I have seen show extremely high velocity and minimal penetration. Somewhere around 3" - 5" deep. Might be okay for summer but these is no way it will be a good defense ammo with heavier clothing. But if you like it - then go for it.

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
I've never shot it but all of the ballistics tests I have seen show extremely high velocity and minimal penetration. Somewhere around 3" - 5" deep. Might be okay for summer but these is no way it will be a good defense ammo with heavier clothing. But if you like it - then go for it.
I wouldn't use it ever.

3-5" is nowhere near enough penetration to be reliable in achieving a rapid stop in anything besides absolutely PERFECT conditions.

Real life is not a silhouette target. Your assailant may not be so polite as to oblige you with the perfect, chest squared, arms to the side, unobstructed shot to the center chest.

Their arms may be raised in front of their chest--particularly if they are threatening you with a weapon.

They may have shifted to a bladed stance, leading with their right shoulder.

Or both.

Measure from the outside of your right bicep to your left nipple. A bullet will have to traverse that entire distance, encountering very heavy bone (humerus), lighter bones (ribs) thick muscle (bicep/tricep), more muscle (pectorals), as well as exiting the skin between the arm and chest...which is really good at stopping bullets, because it stretches...

And all that before it even enters the chest cavity; there's several more inches--more than that Liberty round is capable of BEFORE any previous obstructions--before it gets to the REALLY good stuff that makes people quickly stop fighting whether they want to or not.

Nope...I'd sooner carry FMJ before I carried Liberty or anything like it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Instead of using gimmeck ammo that looks cool, why not use a proven self defense round?

Also, running a 78 grain in a 45 is sacrilegious.

But seriously, don't get duped into the marketing schemes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is direction that I was afraid this thread would turn. I was just looking for firsthand experiential data on how it functioned in firing, not opinions on if I should carry it vs something else. On a side note, I already had every intention of switchingto Gold Dot SB during the winter. Liberty SD would be my summer load.

Again, has anyone personally shot this in the XDS .45 ACP 3.3"?

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
This is direction that I was afraid this thread would turn. I was just looking for firsthand experiential data on how it functioned in firing, not opinions on if I should carry it vs something else. On a side note, I already had every intention of switchingto Gold Dot SB during the winter. Liberty SD would be my summer load.

When people start talking about carrying crap ammo...

Yes, that's how the thread will turn.

If you search, there's a few folks that did buy it, and run it. The consensus was they wasted their money.

If you don't want to hear other people's opinions, don't ask the question.

I'll add: it makes absolutely zero sense to have "seasonal loads"...all that means is that you want to carry a poorly performing round for part of the year...

Carry the GD's year round.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
And again the reliability of any brand of ammo in someone else's gun means nothing. You need to test whatever it is you plan on carrying. You'll also need to test each magazine you may have to call upon to save your life or that of a loved one.

Reactions: Jeedia

·
Registered
687 Posts
Also different ammo will run differently in your gun. Do you really plan on practicing with both all year? Why not just get one type/brand and stick with that. It's not worth your time and money. Use that extra money and go train!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Congratulations on your acquisition. I really like the XDS; as a .45ACP, it's a nice shooter. May I direct your attention to Xds +p? It's about running +P in .45.

Reactions: AR180B

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Unlikely, since most of us recognize that those Gold Dots will perform just as well in the Summer as they do in the Winter, expanding well and penetrating deeply into the vitals instead of producing a nasty surface wound with little penetration...

But, if you insist on using exotic, unproven, boutique ammo, you need to be prepared to spend the money to run at least a couple hundred rounds through your gun to make sure it is dead reliable (no pun intended).

·
Registered
4,383 Posts

Yes I did shortly after I bought my XDs 45.

Fed and extracted all 100 rounds that I bought. Noticed unburnt grains of powder when I cleaned the pistol. It's a waste of good money. Buy a real defense round instead of this gimmick.
You asked,now you've been told.

Reactions: Cuda66 and AR180B

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
duplicate post self-deleted.

·
Registered
351 Posts

interesting, some change carry guns between Summer and Winter, but ammo ? I thinking this is BS

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
interesting, some change carry guns between Summer and Winter, but ammo ? I thinking this is BS
Actually, it's fairly common; I've seen it said numerous times in multiple fora.

It's ridiculous, if one puts just a little thought into it...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have shot my XDS-45 with both Gold Dot, Fed HST, and Remington. I prefer HST because I seem to be better accurate with the Federal load.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts