Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning my xds 45 for about 3 months,I finally had time to go shooting![work sure interferes with my hobbies!]
After reading all the horror stories in here,I was a little concerned with what I might encounter. Stories of ftf, not going into battery, shooting erratically,and all the discomforts associated with shooting this little beast seemed to be the norm.
Here is what i discovered.
1st thing i did after buying this pistol was to clean and oil it. The 2nd thing I did was to oil it again.I typically shoot my pistols wet, especially new ones.
Ammo was a mixture of Remington 230 gr, Remington target/range 230 gr, and Federal 230 fmj 230 gr, all bought at walmart. Basically, the cheapest stuff I could find! I even threw in some reloads from my partners stash.
After about 100 rounds,I had experienced no ftf, no battery issues, no blisters on my trigger finger,no sore hands,I didn't even think it kicked much ..... no problems at all. The gun shot where I aimed it. All guns shoot where they are aimed. The more I shot it, the better my groups were. I do shoot some of my other pistols more accurately, but for a 3.3 barrel, I thought it was great.
If I have a complaint, it is the trigger. Way too much free play.I am not very familiar with the trigger kit discussed here, but it sounds like a good idea to me.
All in all, I was very pleased, The gun will be carried daily. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Congrats, glad you are enjoying your gun, I was a bit afraid too, but that didn't stopped me, my 3.3 has been flawless also my 4.0. The trigger mechanism was spongy and heavy, but it got better with the PRP spring kit

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nice range trip! I have not had any problems with my xds .45 either but I do get a blister while shooting. Wish I knew why!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I've never had the first issue with my XDS 45 3.3 either. Mine was made post recall, and the trigger has never been bad, and is at 6 pounds now, with a good reset. Still, I hear everyone praising the trigger jobs and start thinking how mine might be better with one. Then I think about how that if it ain't broke, I shouldn't fix it. If the temptation gets too strong, I go get my wife's LC9, dry fire it, and then dry fire the XDS, and I appreciate it all the more. No trigger job for me.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Haha buddy has an LC9. First time he fired it he hit about 3 feet in front if the target. That would be hard to master but nothing is impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my brand new XDs to the range 1st time and had FTF galore. Took it home, oiled it and everything settled down. I think it was a combo of being dry and limp-wristing. I just finished a combat pistol course yesterday. 200 rounds, one FTF, but that was shooting weak hand single handed and I'm sure that was me. I did do the PRP spring job and it was worth the money, much smoother so I have no excuse but me for the crappy shooting!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Congrats...I bought mine used and recall fixed 7 months ago. It's been flawless and a great carry pistol so far!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Haha buddy has an LC9. First time he fired it he hit about 3 feet in front if the target. That would be hard to master but nothing is impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a kit on ebay by Saints Arms that I may get for the LC9. Shortens the pull and only $38 with shipping. I have never got a trigger kit for a gun, but the LC9 might be worth a try.

·
Registered
942 Posts
After owning my xds 45 for about 3 months,I finally had time to go shooting![work sure interferes with my hobbies!]
After reading all the horror stories in here,I was a little concerned with what I might encounter. Stories of ftf, not going into battery, shooting erratically,and all the discomforts associated with shooting this little beast seemed to be the norm.
Here is what i discovered.
1st thing i did after buying this pistol was to clean and oil it. The 2nd thing I did was to oil it again.I typically shoot my pistols wet, especially new ones.
Ammo was a mixture of Remington 230 gr, Remington target/range 230 gr, and Federal 230 fmj 230 gr, all bought at walmart. Basically, the cheapest stuff I could find! I even threw in some reloads from my partners stash.

After about 100 rounds,I had experienced no ftf, no battery issues, no blisters on my trigger finger,no sore hands,I didn't even think it kicked much ..... no problems at all. The gun shot where I aimed it. All guns shoot where they are aimed. The more I shot it, the better my groups were. I do shoot some of my other pistols more accurately, but for a 3.3 barrel, I thought it was great.
If I have a complaint, it is the trigger. Way too much free play.I am not very familiar with the trigger kit discussed here, but it sounds like a good idea to me.
All in all, I was very pleased, The gun will be carried daily. Just my 2 cents worth.
not a bad 2 cents worth... your experience mirrors mine... except i like the trigger just the way it is... that bit of take up isnt going to mean a thing in a situation... have fun with it....

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
not a bad 2 cents worth... your experience mirrors mine... except i like the trigger just the way it is... that bit of take up isnt going to mean a thing in a situation... have fun with it....
Excellent point. Exactly why I don't need a trigger job. My XDS has been flawless as well, but I can't shoot rapid fire at my range, so in the back of my mind I always wonder what would happen. Yesterday I found out at a new range. Let me just say that my XDS 45 is still operating flawless. I tried it several times with different techniques and the little bull dog will not mess up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats, hopefully I will get to the range this week to shoot my new XDs 45, 3.3. Work does get in the way. Hook'Em!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm glad youre having good results with your XDS.

I bought one over the hoildays in 9mm and was so busy I haven't shot it yey.

8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts