Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, this has been hashed here and there before but...

I'm in love with my XD as the next guy, and I am a loyal fan of Springfield arms. My XD is a superb firearm, one I would risk my life with. I want an XD hat, knife, and all the XD gear I can lay my hands on.

I hate glocks! they looks stupid and feel awkward. Their sights suck and being a (future) LEO, I hope I'm never issued one. but....

I've read too many FTF etc with XD40s. The finish on the XD does suck. It's something I can live with, or even have re-done. I've considered a service 40, but won't now with all the horrible range reports. I'm considering a .45gap, but won't until I see some range reports.

Basically I'm concerned. Like I said, I hate glocks. But with the FTFs, the poor finish, and the increasing price... I'm afraid Springfield is getting a big head.

I'm losing my faith in XD.

Let's hear it,

-kasch

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You either love your XD or you don't there is no "Hey convince me the XD is better than the Glock" . What ever you like is what you like.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Have an xd 40 service and I went straight from store to range, not even a cleaning and oiling, shot over 1000 rounds and not 1 problem.

As for the finish, get armadillo from xd-gear.com and treat it like you would any other blued gun. If you treat it properly, you will not have a problem. I have carried various brands of guns with similar finishes and as long as you take care of them, it's a fine finish.

As for a duty weapon, it's my primary choice now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The more I shoot my XD 40, whether with the 40 barrel or the aftermarket 9 mm barrel, the more I like it.

It has performed flawlessly, handles beautifully (for me), and is the most comfortable gun I have owned. It may sound llike an exaggeration, but I shoot the XD 40 better than I shoot my Kimber Custom 45.

This is the first handgun I have ever owned that I haven't ever thought about trading in for another. It's a keeper!

Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know, I love my XD.

I'm saying... convince me XD can continue to compete. It seems the newer caliber models are having more problems than the originals. And instead of fixing problems/complaints, Springfield is raising prices!!

And don't give me the Croats make em SA sells em. SA can levy some weight.

I love my XD9SC but I want a service in a larger caliber with reliability. Will the XD continue to provide that? and if so with prices increasing am I going to have to continue to invest an additional $100 on a refinish?

There are issues here which us XD lovers might overlook. I want XD to remain at the top and this requires "constructive criticism"

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have to look hard for constructive criticisms because I am so infatuated with this gun, but it could use a better finish on the slide. Maybe some nice, hard chroming or Robarding.

Ron

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Sorry I thought you were one of those "beg me to buy an XD instead of a Glock people"
I have noticed the prices going up too and you would think that SA get on the ball and get a better finish.
I've had an XD-40 for about six months and the only time I had FTF problems was with reloads. I've shot about 1100 to 1300 rounds and after the first 400 haven't had any FTE or FTF. No rust problems but do have some holster wear but he you can get SA to refinish it for free if rust becomes a problem.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Have you had any problems with yours? The reason I ask is, I have heard of Glocks going KAAABOOMMM! :lol:

I am saying that I love both of my XD's and soon I will also love my SC, I had a glock 22, that was a mess right from the start....They all have some hang-ups....

Just go with what you want and be happy! :p

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I think what the big problem is, is that Springfield is getting a big head and is asking the Croatian factory to produce more and more, and unfortunetely may not have the staffing and equipment to produce more at the same quality as earlier. Instead of both increasing production and quality by purchasing more equipment they are just trying to sell as many as possible. That is just my opinion and is something all businesses like to do, increase cost of the gun to the consumer, increase production without raising production costs (IE Better materials, more staffing, better finish, and more equipment.)

As for the finish take good care of as everyone else says and for the most part it'll be ok. I still haven't gotten a chance to shoot mine, I may have only had it for 3 days but hell I was out the next day with most of my other guns at the range breaking em in. Damn long distance weekend trips... Wasting precious range time...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
More people have no problems with the XD, than do.

When something goes wrong, people are more likely to post about it vs. when everything is working the way it is supposed to.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I got 2800rds through my XD40 service. I had about 4 or so slide
lock backs using the 165gr 250rd bulk from ammoman.com
at around 1200rds.Other than that it has been reliable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah but my goal is LEO use, and when something goes wrong there nobody posts cause the user is DEAD.

Again... I love my XD. But there are flaws, we know that, be honest with yourself. I want SA to fix those flaws.

So far they haven't. Now they are increasing the price.

Somebody here has to have SA's ear. Why no answers?

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Sounds like you're having a war with yourself!...Let me know who wins... :wink:

FYI...I've carried mine as a duty piece for well over 4 years...have faith and go forth, Grasshopper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
400 rounds now with my XD 40. NO failures.
Glock cust serv sucks ! Called them once on a upgrade (recall) issue
and they said to use the gun until it fails. No kidding. I thought i had
dailed the wrong number or somrthing !
Will use the glocks for Trade in case for an xd 45 .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had ZERO problems with my XD40Tac. I just traded a little free work for a Glock 40 and I doubt I'll even bother to shoot it before I sell it and get the XD45GAP

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i think everyone is gonna have to reallize that the XD is gonna have some flaws somewhere, somehow. Just because they were built by man.
Everything that's built is gonna have a mistake sometimes just because us humans make mistakes.
Hell just look at the recent Ford truck recall....someone screwed up almost 800,000 times!
See what I mean?

·
Registered
388 Posts
kaschykb said:
Yeah but my goal is LEO use, and when something goes wrong there nobody posts cause the user is DEAD.

Again... I love my XD. But there are flaws, we know that, be honest with yourself. I want SA to fix those flaws.
EVERY gun has its flaws. Older Glocks were fraught with them, yet people, even LEOs, looked past them, focusing instead on what they considered an excellent design. I need not even point out that Glocks are now everywhere.

If you can find me a gun that drives tacks at 30m, never has an FTF or FTE, and need not be purchased from a red guy with horns (one soul, please), I'll buy two. Since I don't think such a gun exists, I'll gladly "settle" for any of the numerous alternatives that have been proven reliable by military and LE personnel the world over. If you're not convinced that the XD fits the mould, I'm sure Sig Sauer, Beretta, and any number of 1911 manufacturers will be glad to provide you with a different weapon.

I apologize in advance if the above seems rude. As someone else said, you seem to be having a war with yourself, and it seems to have set me off. Cooler heads shall prevail from now on. 8)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts