·
Registered
5,000 Posts
It won't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn...was really hoping it would fit. Thanks for the info though.
I will check out the Viridian product though...thanks

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Remember, unless you can fit a CR123 battery in it, the might output isn't gonna be spectacular.

I'd get a good off hand EDC light to keep in your weakhand pocket or holstered on your weak side.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a tlr 6 with light and laser it fits my mod 2 sc and my xds. Light output is good enough for target identification at self defense range. I'm an leo that patrols very rural areas. 99% of arrests occur outdoors and far from any ambient other than moonlight. Our policy prohibits searching with a weapon mounted light. Barring any exigent circumstance. Prior knowledge of threat etc. the tlr 6 doesn't add much in the way of bulk during carry of my sub. I do however carry a handheld light for other reasons.

I've done low light shooting and training. personally I'm not fond of any of the techniques I've been shown regarding support hand flashlight use along with a pistol. Frankly I think they suck. A ccw may have a completely different set of needs though. (city street and other lights provide enough etc.) any way loong story short. the 6 fits my pistol and situation. It cost me roughly 100 and a aiwb with mag pouch from dara holsters was about 130. hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait, you're saying that the TLR Dash six will fit the XDS 3.3 9 mm Shown here

Everyone else says it will not can you attach a photo

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
My tlr-6 fits my xds 3.3 9mm. It's on my mod2 3in .40 at the moment. the packaging states it will fit xd, xdm and mod 2 but doesn't mention xds. I have test fit it though. I bought the light for the mod 2 as its a carry/hd bedside gun with the light and full-size mag. The listing you posted is probably 10 dollars less than I paid at least before shipping.

the light is proprietary to the xd's it fits the rail and clamps around trigger guard.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I looked at my initial reply and allow me to clarify. My agency's policy does not allow searching with a weapon light absent exigent circumstance. the mod 2 and tlr 6 are privately owned and carried used on my time.
the mod 2 is a "bump in the night gun" meaning If I'm alerted to something dog barking unexplained noise etc. I would activate the light and investigate. I would have the gun pointed at whatever I'm observing. Downside to this is your pointing weapons at the unknown. This is a training issue. It requires a strong grasp of the fundamentals ex. "finger off trigger until ready" . Are we tracking. I pocket my handheld and activate the tlr with support side thumb and do my search.

My feeling is this I have on multiple occasions identified a threat covered subject until he was cuffed. This is trained. If I were to search my house with a handheld and then attempt to transition to weapon light upon discovery of a threat. My support hand would either hang on to handheld which negates the need and advantage of the wml. Or b stow the handheld while I was attempting to transition to the wml. Which would happen using the trigger finger to activate. I feel there is a high probability of "sympathetic clench" trigger with this method.

so imo. either use the wml with the support hand or b disregard its use. either way it's necessary to train firing in low light. handheld or wml.

Hopefully this is clear. I'm trying to type it on a phone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well this is for home defense so if I hear something in my house I'm going to have a light on whoever pointed that way with my finger off the trigger unless necessary.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
I'm a HUGE believer in having a light on the gun.

With that in-mind, Roondog248, please allow me to take your statement above, and give it a good-natured challenge. :)

Well this is for home defense so if I hear something in my house I'm going to have a light on whoever pointed that way with my finger off the trigger unless necessary.
What's your longest anticipated engagement distance in your home?

My question is whether or not the TLR6 will be powerful enough.

My both my tre-EDC as well as its training copy wear the Surefire XC-1. 200 lumens, 750 candela spec'ed by Surefire. It's what we flashlight collectors (yes, I am a nerd :D) call a "white-waller." It - thanks to Surefire's noted MaxVision optics on this item - projects a "wall of light" that does really well at covering a large area for a short distance: it's all corona/spill, with no hot-spot.

The TLR6 is spec'ed by Streamlight at 100 lumens, 2,000 candela. Even with less absolute light, it will throw that light noticeably farther than the XC-1, and this bears out in the times in training classes that I've shot with classmates/instructors with the TLR6, "side-by-side" with my XC-1.

The thing is, just as you can't magic more light where there's none to begin with, you also cannot magic more throw. In-reality, you'll want to have a light that has as much throw as you may possibly need. With the TLR6, despite it being spec'ed at over twice the candela as the XC-1, that still won't get you very far. Indoor, with reflective surfaces typical of North American build and home styling, this likely won't matter, but if the longest potential engagement distance in your home exceeds 25 yards or if you favor darker decor (or if your home-defense also includes defense of exterior property or a detached guest-house/inlaw-suite, etc.), you'll want to think about a more powerful light...and that may also lead you to the need to reconsider your gun choice.

As this is for home-defense, you should not have the limitation of form-factor be your deciding factor, here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's fine. I was just trying to say adding a wml adds it own set of training needs. And your welcome for the picture btw.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
mp74 -

Have you ever tried any of the light retention devices, like the Thyrm SwitchBack, Surefire/Graham Combat Ring, or even the RCS clip/o-ring combo?

What about a retention lanyard (breakaway, of-course).

If-so, what are your thoughts on what you have tried, out of those?

Thoughts on just dumping the handheld, instead of stowing (provided that you have a tertiary/backup handheld on your duty kit) - I know a lot of guys who favor this method (particularly now that the LEDs and potted electronics are so durable :lol:), while using momentary-only switching to prevent unwanted lighting should the light be dropped.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
When I need a light in the house, I flip the wall switch! I have several 3 way light switches and can turn a light on while I am still out of the line of fire, should it come to that. Works for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
mp74 -

Have you ever tried any of the light retention devices, like the Thyrm SwitchBack, Surefire/Graham Combat Ring, or even the RCS clip/o-ring combo?
The combat ring I'm familiar with. I've used it in training.

What about a retention lanyard (breakaway, of-course).

If-so, what are your thoughts on what you have tried, out of those?

Thoughts on just dumping the handheld, instead of stowing (provided that you have a tertiary/backup handheld on your duty kit) - I know a lot of guys who favor this method (particularly now that the LEDs and potted electronics are so durable :lol:), while using momentary-only switching to prevent unwanted lighting should the light be dropped.

I've trained with a combat ring. Its,better than most handheld techniques. Is that the ayoob method? I can't keep them straight.

I carry 2 cheap LA police gear handhelds for searching with 18650 rechargeables from Amazon. Both have taken a ton of abuse. I've had them since 2013 I think. and were under 50 bucks each. I 've used 3 and 4d maglights. Costco flashlights etc for tracking where you don't want high lumens. I also carry a headlamp I'm on my second in no gear from Amazon. (i lose stuff)This is rechargeable
lasts decently long and is super bright. Both hands are on my rifle (tlr1 hl) and like I said I don't cry much if it takes a dump.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
I've trained with a combat ring. Its,better than most handheld techniques. Is that the ayoob method? I can't keep them straight.
Too many methods for me to keep track of, to tell you the truth. :)

I know that Graham has his own named method. IIRC, the Ayoob is the sword-grip, with thumbs touching (support hand would thus be rotated inboard, palm facing out).

From what I can remember, the Graham method differs somewhat from what most folks execute with the Thyrm SwitchBack in that the light pokes through the index and middle fingers and uses inward pressure of the tailcap onto the knuckle/fingers of the dominant hand that turns on the switch, whereas with the Thyrm, it's outward pressure from the middle finger that actuates the switch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts