Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read so many useful things here I figured I'd offer a bit of a review of the StealthGear IWB my wife got me for Christmas for my XDs of the 3.3 variety. I have been carrying it in either a pocket holster made of kydex (in summer months) or in a MiniTuck from Crossbreed. The reason why she got the StealthGear (SG) was because living here in NY it's IWB more than not because it's a cold, miserable, hateful, hide your gun kind of place... Anyhow - she really picked the SG version because she is sick and tired of the all the creaking the leather Crossbreed makes. And it is a noisy little guy for sure. Very comfortable but the metal clips on horsehide creak and groan with every movement and, depending on how I'm sitting and the leather belt I'm wearing, sometimes with every breath (saddle soap does not fix it for more than 15 minutes).
I'm a 5'11" guy weighing in at 148. My waist takes a 32" pair of jeans... I share that because...
The SG's construction is impressive to behold. I'm like everyone else where I have a basket full of holsters some are nice some are mass produced and a few hand made leather ones are works of art. The SG is, for all the various components and materials - really a high tech work of art. Right down to the piping they cover the edges with - they even melted the ends where it joined and filed them smooth so it would never fray. Every bit of extra kydex is removed from the mold and every attachment screw has a rubber grommet under it to keep it tight and allow you to change the tension. Very VERY impressive workmanship.
It's big tho - from end to end (clip to clip). I have a Crossbreed for a Sig p229 and the clip to clip measurement on the SG is still longer than THAT Crossbreed... the size comparison between the SG and the MiniTuck is laughable, the MiniTuck "fits the XDs" the SG is just massive for the small gun. But I figured that was ok given how much more comfortable it was supposed to be. So above I mentioned my smaller frame... I carry from 2:30 to 3:30... "it just works for me" so the next part of this review may not "work for you".
The SG is just too darn big. Too long clip to clip. I moved them up, down, offset, everything I could do to try and reposition the clips to fit and NOTHING worked for me without the clips hitting either the pants belt loops or bunching up, or an impossible grip angle or something that just made it not work. I tried differnt pants, differnt belts, various approaches and in the end... I gave up. The material against your skin is nice and I can see how this holster would not pool heat behind it like the Crossbreed does in the summer. But - it just felt like a diaper crammed along my right side it was so big and cushy and not fitting my curves correctly so back to the squeaky but very well fitting and very comfortable Crossbreed MiniTuck.
BUT - all is not lost. I called SG's customer support and lamented about the fit and raved about the finish. They told me that's not uncommon for wee waisted folk such as myself and offered up a replacement - the AIWB model can be outfitted with a second clip making it very stable for applications like mine and offering all the benefits of the SG technology in a smaller package. I was SO impressed with their friendliness and willingness to help me find a solution that I can't say enough good things about them! So - the standard IWB model is enroute back to Utah and I'm eagerly awaiting another Christmas morning when the AIWB model arrives with the 2 clips so I can wear it in the 2:30 - 3:30 zone I like.
Fingers crossed - and I'll update when the 2 clip AIWB version arrives.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
How long have you had the Crossbreed MiniTuck and how much have you worn it? Just curious because my Crossbreed settled down after a while, but it did take a couple of months of daily wear as I recall. By comparison, my Hidden Hybrid hasn't creaked at all since I got it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long have you had the Crossbreed MiniTuck and how much have you worn it? Just curious because my Crossbreed settled down after a while, but it did take a couple of months of daily wear as I recall.
I have had the MiniTuck for over 9 months or so with darn near daily wear... And definitely some really sweaty, dirty wear over the summer while farming. It's gotten louder in the last few months for sure. I have other SuperTuck Deluxe ones for other guns as I mentioned - and none of them have gotten louder over time. I dunno if it's the size, the frequency of wear, the thinner waist but it's not gotten better and the tricks to silence it haven't worked either (this is by far the most worn one now except maybe my G26 SuperTuck - and that's "pretty quiet"). That's why Santa Wife got the Stealth Gear for me :)

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
my crossbreeds creak too. i put a strip of the soft side of velcro btwn the clip and leather and it helps. it doesnt take it away 100% but its much less.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the exact same experience with Stealthgear Onyx. It was just too big. Like you, I returned it and then got the AIWB with the second clip. Now that really works well for me. I currently use it with an M&P9c. I still wish Stealthgear made a good single clip holster that has adjustable cant. The AIWB with a single clip does not have adjustable cant when in the 3:00 position.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I am 6'1" and wear a 32" waist on my pants. I am carrying my XDs 3.3 in a dual clip Stealth Gear about 3-3:30. I agree with your assessment of the size but find mine to be very comfortable. I had a leather backed Alien Gear that I could not wear in this position. My problem with the AG is the fact that the shell is much larger than it needs to be for the size of the XDs. I know they make the shell to fit the mounting points for multiple guns, but this makes a very large shell for a smaller gun.

The Stealth Gear is custom fit to each gun model. The backing is much better and there is a lot more handfitting on the SG. Hence the big price difference.

I am glad you found something that works for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with your assessment of the size but find mine to be very comfortable. I had a leather backed Alien Gear that I could not wear in this position. My problem with the AG is the fact that the shell is much larger than it needs to be for the size of the XDs.
Sounds like we are about the same size. The SG was "comfortable" but it wasn't "fitting right" if that makes sense. It never felt like a bad holster - maybe said better, it was like a pillow jammed in the side of my jeans :) I just couldn't get the clips, the grip, my pant belt loops and everything to work as a system. Really hope the AIWB with 2 clips works for me!
And couldn't agree more with you about AG - they are cheap plastic uni-shells attached to a backer. I like their concept of one holster many guns - but that's just not reality!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the exact same experience with Stealthgear Onyx. It was just too big. Like you, I returned it and then got the AIWB with the second clip. Now that really works well for me. I currently use it with an M&P9c. I still wish Stealthgear made a good single clip holster that has adjustable cant. The AIWB with a single clip does not have adjustable cant when in the 3:00 position.
Well - I'm excited the config I'm waiting for is what you have and it works!
This may sound weird from a stranger - but care to take a pic of your waist with the gun mounted in the holster at the 2:30-3:00 position? (You can ignore the request of too creepy) :shock:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well - I'm excited the config I'm waiting for is what you have and it works!
This may sound weird from a stranger - but care to take a pic of your waist with the gun mounted in the holster at the 2:30-3:00 position? (You can ignore the request of too creepy) :shock:
IMG_0454.JPG IMG_0461.JPG

I keep mine deep in my pants but you can adjust the ride height some. I also purchased the bent clips as they are a little easier to tuck a shirt behind. It works perfect for me as I had tried several other holsters before trying this one and this one feels the best. I will say with the dual clips you are somewhat limited on ride height and cant adjustment, so it might not be for everyone.

·
Premium Member
126,938 Posts
My CrossBreed is amazingly quiet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@slugger6 all mine are pretty quiet except this MiniTuck for the XDS... No clue why it matures to have such a voice to it but by way of example: I can be sitting in a chair in the family room, my wife on the sofa maybe 12' away. With the tv on in the evening. With surround sound. And my wife can hear the holster squeaking. I can too - obviously... And truth be told... Sometimes I make it squeak, just to get a rise out of her :razz:
It is loud even when not tormenting her!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts