Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested if those have you that have shot both, have seen a noticeable difference in the two?

I am looking for feed back from those of you that either own or have shot both the 3.3 and 4.0, preferably the same caliber. Apples to apples.

It is easier for me to shoot a larger gun more accurately/faster than a smaller gun. There is effetivley no difference from 0- 10 feet, but 10 to 25+ feet the difference very noticeable. My experience has been the 3 inch guns are sub compact single stacks and the 4 inch have been larger double stacks. So there is more than just a 1 inch difference in barrel length/sight radius. Not really a fair comparison.

My closest comparison has been between the XDS 9 and 45 and the Glock 26/27, and as far a accuracy and speed there is really not a big difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I shot both the 3.3 and 4" XDs

The 3.3" is ideal for CC but snappier than the 4". It really depends on what primarily you are going to use it for. My XDs is more for home defense so I chose the 4".

Hope this helps

·
Registered
340 Posts
^^ hello fellow NJ guy :D

As for the original post, I shot the 3.3 (mine) and 4 (coworkers) side by side last month (both 45). I didn't feel any improvement in the 4. In fact, I actually shot better with my 3.3; perhaps because I've broken it in with hundreds of rounds through it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
For carry, the length of the barrel doesn't impact concealability as much as grip length. Since the grip/frame is identical, concealing the 4.0 is just as easy as the 3.3. For me, the 4.0 feels better to shoot than the original. My follow-up shots were quicker with the 4.0 and my grouping was a bit tighter.

The main thing for me though, is that I Front Pocket Carry and with Relaxed Fit jeans, the XD-S is a bit heavy, but I can accomplish this with the 3.3, where I can't with the 4.0. If I were to carry IWB, I'd go with the XD-S 4.0 over the 3.3.

Find someone in your area that owns a 4.0 and ask how they like it. The owner will probably end up asking you if you want to try it. ;) If you have a range that has one of each to rent, definitely try them both.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have only shot the 4.0 but, my Dad has a Shield 9mm and it does kick a little more than the 4.0 XDS.

My take is if your main mode of carry is IWB go with the 4.0 hands down, if you're going to consider it for a pocket carry gun or OWB the 3.3 is probably worth seriously considering. It's better to have a smaller gun with you all the time than a larger one some of the time. Personally I prefer IWB carry with occasional OWB carry but 99.5 % of the time I'm going IWB so I get a gun with a longer barrel. My EDC is Kimber with a fullsize frame and a 4" barrel, the extra 1" makes the 1911's a lot more reliable and a lot more shoot-able in 45acp especially. I feel the same is true for the small polymer guns.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I've shot both a bunch. I can't tell any difference in recoil. Accuracy is about the same with the 3.3 getting the nod. The 4.0 feels more balanced with the extended mag to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts