Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into adding mag extensions and I noticed the magazine with the plastic factory base pad marked Xdm 9mm is notched. A factory magazine pad marked XD 9mm is not notched. Aside from that, both look identical and either mag works in my XDm9. Why is one mag notched and the other is not?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I was looking into adding mag extensions and I noticed the magazine with the plastic factory base pad marked Xdm 9mm is notched. A factory magazine pad marked XD 9mm is not notched. Aside from that, both look identical and either mag works in my XDm9. Why is one mag notched and the other is not?
The only mags that are useable in both the xd/xdm are the .45 acp, how are you making the 9mm mags interchangeable?

don

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They all work fine. I just used them in a IDPA match. I've taken them apart and the Xdm 9mm stamped base pad has a square spring (at the bottom). The XD 9mm stamped base pad has the square spring (at the bottom) with a tiny "v" that snaps into place on the small hole in the base plate. Both magazines are identical, in that, they have the stamped groove the length of the magazine. So, basically the stainless mag bodies are the same design, except for the notch in the Xdm 9mm mags. There is no notch in the XD 9mm The base pads are marked different, and the springs are different in design.

Update email response from Springfield. I have my answer.

We have updated our magazines as you have noticed. It was a change in production for the magazine structure. So the magazines that you have with the notch are newer than the other magazines. But yes they will still function just fine in the pistol.

Thank You and Have a Great Day!

Angie

Springfield Armory

Customer Service Rep

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
They all work fine. I just used them in a IDPA match. I've taken them apart and the Xdm 9mm stamped base pad has a square spring (at the bottom). The XD 9mm stamped base pad has the square spring (at the bottom) with a tiny "v" that snaps into place on the small hole in the base plate. Both magazines are identical, in that, they have the stamped groove the length of the magazine. So, basically the stainless mag bodies are the same design, except for the notch in the Xdm 9mm mags. There is no notch in the XD 9mm The base pads are marked different, and the springs are different in design.

Update email response from Springfield. I have my answer.

We have updated our magazines as you have noticed. It was a change in production for the magazine structure. So the magazines that you have with the notch are newer than the other magazines. But yes they will still function just fine in the pistol.

Thank You and Have a Great Day!

Angie

Springfield Armory

Customer Service Rep

No they are not the same! I have both xd and xdm pistols and the mags are not interchangeable except in 45 acp.

don

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I posted Springfield's email reply to my question in my previous post. One is the older version, the other is newer. End of story.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I posted Springfield's email reply to my question in my previous post. One is the older version, the other is newer. End of story.

What is stamped on the base pad does not mean its a xd or xdm mag, what SA is referring to is the base pads not the mags.

Do you have both an xd and a xdm pistol,other then the 45 acp? If so you will see the mags are not interchangeable.

don

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
9mm XD mags and 9mm XDM mags are NOT interchangeable like Don said......

The XDM mags are significantly larger and will NOT fit into a regular XD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts