Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. so I'm sitting on the fence right now. I currently have an XDM45 and I love it to death. so much so that I've been seriously considering buying an XDM 5.25(9mm, I guess I have to start specifying now) and joining a few local shood-um-ups. however I already have a PRP trigger lying around that I've never had the chance to install.

here's my dilemma, I can buy a springer precision threaded barrel and compensator for my 45 for around $375 then drop the PRP trigger into it or I can pay $650 for a new XDM5.25 9mm and drop the PRP trigger in it.

it's a big dilemma, if it was you, which would you rather go with?

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Is that all you intend to do ?
What type of competition might you use it for ?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If it was me, and i had the dough, i'd buy the 9mm. I own both 9 mm and 45 acp handguns(also.380, tell no one). Having the 9 is nice, cheaper ammo(shoot alot more for the money), plus having the 2 claibers are nice when shooting with others.

In my family my wife and 13 yr old also enjoy the 9mm more, but the wife has started shooting my 1911.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the local pistol club is USPSA and hosts both local and regional competitions, I was thinking of starting out in the locals just to get comfortable with competing and then try my hand at regional USPSA shooting

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
You could also put a tungsten guide rod in either, and get an effect close to, or perhaps exceeding what the ported barrel will give you (I don't really know, and don't know if that would be legal for USPSA), and do the PRP trigger job.

Can you shoot better than the factory barrel ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right now I'm not better than the factory barrel. I'm not really interested in the springer barrel because it's match grade, it's more because it's threaded to allow for the compensator. tamer muzzle flip is the main thing I'm looking for

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
A tungsten guide rod might be all you need.

If no one weights in to comment on this aspect ... Perhaps you should start another thread that specifically asks how a guide rod compares to a compensator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts