Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea why my xdm wont lockback on empty 8 outa ten times? before you bombard with "limp wrist this and thumbs in the way that" i am not a rookie shooter and have alot of professional exp shooting, yes it does happen when my thumbs get in the way. but without using my shooting grip, ie: shooting left handed strong arming the gun it still sometimes wont lock back on 3 brand new mags. its not the mags or human error, any other ideas? its driving me nuts thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Are you firing very light loads that may not be opening the slide enough to allow the slide stop lever to engage the slide? Try is dry. Just pull back the slide with an empty mag inserted. If the follower lifts the slide stop lever reliably when functioned manually, then the slide is probably not fully opening during shooting. Since you are sure it is not operator, then is may be the ammo. Look in the rail area for anything that could prevent the slide from fully opening (dirt/lint debris). Clean and light lube on rails.
If it still does not engage well during manual test look elsewhere. Since it is the follower that lifts the slide stop lever, I would start there. Make sure the follower is not binding and the spring pressure is adequate to lift the slide lock. Disassemble and clean mags (even new). Polish any burrs or flash off the follower. Spray with a drying film silicone lube (NO oil) or automotive wax. Check the feed lips are not bent and blocking the follower. If you have not had any problem with the last rounds not loading correctly, the mag and follower are probably OK.
Then check the amount of force it takes to lift the slide stop lever. Could be debris buildup at the spring area blocking movement. Remove slide and disassembly lever, slide stop lever, locking block, etc. and clean. Very light lube (if any) needed. Check for burrs, dirt, and signs of excessive rubbing. Look at slide stop and slide engagement areas. Any rounding, wear or any thing that might block engagement. If OK, reinstall. Check for smooth non-binding movement of the slide stop. Inspect the guide rod and recoil spring for and binding that could limit slide movement. Look at barrel lug and locking block for any unusual marks, wear, debris.
Really just a decent inspection and cleaning a bit beyond field stripping. Not much else. Any problems within the slide/striker itself or in the mag release or grip safety areas would usually show by other functional problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rails are lubed with grease, GR and spring are well lubed, i keep this gun almost to clean. sometimes it wont lock with empty mag but more times it does lock back, i noticed it does it when gun is tilted upside down or to the sides (aka gangsta mode). no im not a "Gangsta" i just noticed while practicing shooting from my side under a car at the shoot house. the slide stop lever is still nice and springy and everything is fairly new...its baffling me, i did everything u suggested before posting this so im completely stumped as to why this is happening to my baby. its not a huge problem, wont hurt me at all but it just should work properly ya know?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
rails are lubed with grease, GR and spring are well lubed, i keep this gun almost to clean. sometimes it wont lock with empty mag but more times it does lock back, i noticed it does it when gun is tilted upside down or to the sides (aka gangsta mode). no im not a "Gangsta" i just noticed while practicing shooting from my side under a car at the shoot house. the slide stop lever is still nice and springy and everything is fairly new...its baffling me, i did everything u suggested before posting this so im completely stumped as to why this is happening to my baby. its not a huge problem, wont hurt me at all but it just should work properly ya know?
How many rounds through the gun? You say you keep it clean and well oiled. XD's can be oiled too much very easily.

Clean off all the oil from the gun and shoot 4 or 5 mags on a dry gun and see how that works.

Pure silicon or dry lube on the follower?

Just a few ideas

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Maybe the feedlips on the "bad" magazines are squeezed closer together than the not "bad" mags. This could lower the follower just enough to not push the slide stop up reliably. Pull out all of your magazines and look at them empty. line them up and see if the follower is physically lower on some of them. Pay attention to the slot cut in the top left side of the body where the follower engages the slide stop does the shelf sit lower on some of them while empty.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I would get rid of any visible lube on the guide rod/springs, barrel lug. Just whatever residual is left after normal solvent cleaning and wipedown.
Mark mags to check if it occurs only with some. You should always get a lock back with a manual slide cycle and an empty mag installed unless something is binding. Any mod to the mags or catch area?
Does it still happen if you remove the disassembly bar? (Just take it out and reassemble pistol without the bar). Remember you will need to pull the trigger now to remove the slide (like an XD model). May double sure unloaded. Someone had a problem (don't remember what) about a year ago that occurred only when the pistol was sideways or upside down. I think it involved the disassembly lever which is mostly only held down by gravity.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help guys, still cant figure it out tho. why should i not lube the guide rod and spring? or the barrel lug? i like to keep mostly everything lightly coated inside the gun, and once a week i also wipe down entire exterior with rem oil wipes or hoppes silicone gray cloth thing that is lubed already. they smell like cinnamon almost, i been using them for 7 years i love them. i like to keep insides and the entire barrel and breech "wet" looking with light coat of rem oil or mainly hoppes, i like hoppes more cuz its thicker. i dunno im just awestruck dont know how to fix this? tried it all :oops:

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
thanks for the help guys, still cant figure it out tho. why should i not lube the guide rod and spring? or the barrel lug? i like to keep mostly everything lightly coated inside the gun, and once a week i also wipe down entire exterior with rem oil wipes or hoppes silicone gray cloth thing that is lubed already. they smell like cinnamon almost, i been using them for 7 years i love them. i like to keep insides and the entire barrel and breech "wet" looking with light coat of rem oil or mainly hoppes, i like hoppes more cuz its thicker. i dunno im just awestruck dont know how to fix this? tried it all :oops:
XD's have a tendency to gum up when over oiled (and it doesn't take much oil), it was just a theory. I run a little oil on the barrel hood, the rails (like 2 drops on a qtip and rub the rails, and one drop down the side of the sear where all the springs are. That's really all the XD needs IMHO.

Have you ever oile the striker or striker channel? If you have, you shouldn't.

Sounds like you may have an overlubed gun, but again, just a theory

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If you can see the oil or grease as a visible presence, it is too much. Try this> Normal cleaning with something like Hoppes or Breakfree and wipe down with mostly dry cloth. Go shoot. Later if all works well, maybe add one small drop (like from a needle oiler, not from a spoon) at the striker safety area. One or two drops on a Q-tip for the rails and everywhere else. This is not an AR type of design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts