Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my friends looking for an XDM asked me this question
With the current prices, an XDM costs about the same as an XD with a springer/canyoncreek trigger job.
Which is better for carry/home defense?

It's for home defense and carry. I know trigger jobs are not recommended for carry due to legal implications,
But if the trigger pull is down to 5 lbs but with OAL reduced, is it "acceptable" to defect ang legal lawsuits in a shooting?

·
Registered
35 Posts
What's the question? I am guess that your friend wonders if an XDM trigger is as good as an XD with a trigger job. It not imo but with a trigger job the trigger is awesome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
he is asking which one is better for self defense and home defense
He's not using it for competition or long distance, so the xdm match barrel doesnt matter much, but the grips of the xdm are nice.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
A trigger job is a must with all variants of XDs in my opinion. The biggest reason for buyin an M model is the way that it balances.

ranburr

·
Registered
97 Posts
the XDM is way too huge for cc. the XD is a little large but allot more concealable. As far as which one is more leagal to carry it shouldnt make a difrence.

If your friend is ever involved in a shooting how his guns triger is set up is going to be the least of his concerns in a civil law suit.

heres is my XDM40 compaired to my Kahr Arms CW40 concealed carry piece.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
the XDM is way too huge for cc. the XD is a little large but allot more concealable.
I don't know how you figure that. If you can conceal one you can conceal the other. I have no problems concealing the M. It is all in how you dress. I am transitioning from a 1911 so it is not a big deal. If you are used to carrying a P3AT, you will have to adjust.

ranburr

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know how you figure that. If you can conceal one you can conceal the other. I have no problems concealing the M. It is all in how you dress. I am transitioning from a 1911 so it is not a big deal. If you are used to carrying a P3AT, you will have to adjust.

ranburr

It also depends on your ideah of concealed carry. I know a couple of people who like others being able to profile their weapon. Their theory is that no one wil mess with them if they know their packing.

My ideah of concealed carry is that no body knows you are packing. I am a scrawny guy and their is no way that I can conceal a full sized hand gun unless I wear my Carhart over a shoulder holster. thats ok for winter time but a little misreble in the summer.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It also depends on your ideah of concealed carry. I know a couple of people who like others being able to profile their weapon. Their theory is that no one wil mess with them if they know their packing.

My ideah of concealed carry is that no body knows you are packing. I am a scrawny guy and their is no way that I can conceal a full sized hand gun unless I wear my Carhart over a shoulder holster. thats ok for winter time but a little misreble in the summer.
Get a good belt, a good holster and a shirt one size larger than normal and no one will ever know that you are carrying. I don't follow the logic in letting people know that you are carrying. That just means that you will be the one shot first! At any rate, printing to that degree is illegal in most jusrisdictions.

ranburr

·
Registered
97 Posts
Get a good belt, a good holster and a shirt one size larger than normal and no one will ever know that you are carrying. I don't follow the logic in letting people know that you are carrying. That just means that you will be the one shot first! At any rate, printing to that degree is illegal in most jusrisdictions.

ranburr

what holster do you use to CC your xdm ?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Right now I'm using either a Joab from Dale Fricke or a 2 )'Clock from Comp-Tac. I have a couple of leather IWB models on order.

ranburr

·
Registered
233 Posts
Its a pointless situation. If he gets the XD , he will eventually want the XDM anyway. It would be more dollar wise to get the M factor and add a trigger from the money he saved not buying the XD.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
For CC I'd prefer the regular XD with a trigger job. I've been very happy with the way my XD has been, and don't see a personal need for an XDM... as alway, ymmv

·
Registered
233 Posts
He would have to make a personal choice on which is the best weapon in his opinion , and what he wants personally. It is a matter of what a person likes best, and of course price. The mags on the XDM are nice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Once you go (M) you never go back. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am new to all this. I just got a Springfield XD 9mm (after the election) and am trying to learn as much as possible about firearms in general. I have always believed in the 2nd amendment and have not felt a strong desire to own a firearm until recently!

What is a trigger job?

What else do I need to know being a newbie?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Also, just a thought. I'd post this in the General Discussion for XDs. See what kind of responses you get there since this forum might be a little biased seeing how as everyone here probably has a XDm. :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts