Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to pick up my first polymer framed pistol. In the past I have always liked the XD, however upon visiting springfields site I was introduced to the XDm. However as far as the differences, they really dont outline them. I know the backstrap si removeable, and obviously its a new design, higher capacity. What else amkes the X different from the traditional XD?

I have looked into other polymer pistols but I dnot like how glocks point and even though I own and love many SIGs I do not like the 250. I enjoy the HK USP as well, however this seems like mroe abng for the buck. This will be a home defence gun so concealment is not a priority.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The xdm has a match barrel and a trigger job, in addition to the obvious cosmetic differences and mag capacity. The barrel on the xdm is 4 1/2 inches instead of either 4 for the xd service or 5 for the tactical.

You gotta be careful though, lots of gun stores are putting some ridiculous price tags on the xdm's cause they're the cool new thing. You should be able to find one for less than $600. One place around here is asking $700 for a xdm in 40! I like the idea of 16 rounds of 40 as much as anyone, but its not worth that much.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The xdm has a match barrel and a trigger job, in addition to the obvious cosmetic differences and mag capacity. The barrel on the xdm is 4 1/2 inches instead of either 4 for the xd service or 5 for the tactical.

You gotta be careful though, lots of gun stores are putting some ridiculous price tags on the xdm's cause they're the cool new thing. You should be able to find one for less than $600. One place around here is asking $700 for a xdm in 40! I like the idea of 16 rounds of 40 as much as anyone, but its not worth that much.
He's right about the prices. Academy Sports is asking $675 for the Xdm .40, a local pistol range here in Birmingham are selling them $550 + a free one day range pass

·
Registered
463 Posts
He's right about the prices. Academy Sports is asking $675 for the Xdm .40, a local pistol range here in Birmingham are selling them $550 + a free one day range pass
Academy Sports here is also over priced. I paid $549 for the XDm .40 at a local dealer. I also entertained Bud's online. They had it for $595 with free shipping. Gun sales here in South Louisiana are booming as I expect everywhere.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Picked up my XDm @ the gun show for 569. I have seen some crazy pricing on the 9mm though. I don't think we will se any prices on guns dropping in the future even if it's an XD or XDm. Purchases of ammo & guns is skyrocketing right now !!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Yeah... about that ammo pricing lately! The Chinese have been trying to "corner the market" on making car batteries and so the price of lead has really skyrocketed since they are buying it all. Brass too since the Chinese also seem inordinately interested in copper and tin. I suspect that things will smooth out eventually and ammo prices will come down a bit. It's getting to the point where buying components is almost equal to the cost of fully loaded "economy" ammo again, but at a much higher price. For a few years there, it was almost silly to reload because factory ammo was fairly inexpensive. Then factory stuff went up but component were still reasonable and so a lot of reloading equipment got dusted off or purchased and started to be used again. Now its getting to be that no matter what you do ammo is getting very expensive. Either we have a breaktrough in new ammo technologies and plastic cases are perfected, caseless ammo becomes perfected, or the Chinese get unions and their pay goes up and domestic industry once more has access to reasonably priced metals, or we are going to have a let less competent shooters out there because they are not putting enough rounds through their guns.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would love to get one of the new XD(M) pistols, but I already have an XD 45, and I love the big bore XD. Would anyone happen to know if SA is coming out with one in 45ACP? I can't believe they wouldn't, what with the phenomenal success they had with the XD45.

·
Premium Member
127,099 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I'm going to find out in 2 weeks when i get an XDM9 to compare to my XD45.
Oh and I agree with you, I rented a Sig P250 a few months ago at the range and I really didn't like it.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
a MASSIVE amount of advertising, a couple more bucks, and lower prices on the original.

·
Registered
902 Posts
They are the same functionally except you do not have to pull the trigger to remove the slide on the (M) as you do on the regular XD. The trigger reset does feel a bit shorter on the M than on a regular XD. I would opt for a good action job with 4.5 to 5 lb pull on either if used for carry, maybe 3.5 for competition use only.

I felt like the M 'pointed' better/got on target slightly faster. They are both pretty darned reliable. They both can use the same sights and most of the same holsters. The M comes with a 'match' barrel but a stock XD is plenty accurate for many folks.

Around here the regular is about $100 less than the M.

YMMV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
People at cabela's told me that the reps had just visited them, and that the XDM would be offered in .45 within the next few months, what ever that means!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Try $725 at Sportsman's Warehouse in Phoenix. Another reason for the soaring costs of ammo and firearms is the election of Barack Obummer. Demand for handguns, ammo and ccw permits have skyrocketed.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I'm going to find out in 2 weeks when i get an XDM9 to compare to my XD45.
Oh and I agree with you, I rented a Sig P250 a few months ago at the range and I really didn't like it.
Sig put out the P250 to replace the Sig Pro just because all the pompous Sig elitists couldn't stand the idea of a "plastic" Sig. Personally I think they made a stupid decision since most people liked the Pro. I love my P229 but I was going to get a Pro until they decided to discontinue it in favor of the 250.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts