Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that own/have owned either a worked Tactical ( canyon creek, springer, etc...) or the XDM, which do you prefer?
I am in the market for a Tactical length XD or XDM, and I am in the indecision phase of what to get. I shoot some IDPA/IPSC type games weekly, when I can and this is the reason for my purchase. I think for the same money( +/-$50-100) I can buy a used worked up tactical or a new XDM, sights, and some extra mags.
Also, if you have/had the XDTactical in 9/40/45.....which do you like the most?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've owned an XD40, an XD45, and currently own an XD45 Tactical. I've fondled an XDM at the gun shop, but haven't shot it. I can tell you that the sights and the grip texture on the XDM look/feel awesome, and would most likely be a better starting point for your competition gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd say XD Tactical; it will save you a few bucks and build something for competition. I really like the XDM but this is the route I went.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
When it comes to competition shooting and the release of the XD(M)40 there is really only one choice.

The 9mm is out of the picture completely because you will not be able to meet major PF requirements which really puts you at a disadvantage when it comes to scoring. That leaves you with the 40S&W, the 45ACP and the XD(M)40. With both the XD40 and 45ACP you would again be at a disadvantage in capacity because the XD(M) holds more rounds in a standard magazine than either with mag extensions. In addition the XD(M) come with a better mag release and a better customizable grip. As a gun for competition the XD(M)40 is a far better choice but these same features make it a less desirable choice as a carry gun.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Shooting IDPA, you are limited to 10 rounds anyway.

I got into the XDs before they had the compact grip version or I would have gotten that. I like the option of short, easy to hide grip and then extending it with the mag sleeve. I do this with my XD SC 9mm but the rest are full sized guns.

Probably I'd get the XDM now instead of the XD .45 Tactical but I've had it for years.

"Why in my day, young man, we were allowed to own firearms".
--- you, 20 years from now, post Obama

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I own a XD Tactical in 9mm, and have shot my brothers .45 Tactical. I prefer the 9mm because it's a little lighter when fully loaded and ammo is easier on the pocket book.

Haven't shot the XDM but want to! I think I'll wait and see if they come out with one in 9mm before I consider buying one though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The XDM trigger is no match for a Canyon Creek trigger. The grip of the "m" is fatter, which is either good or bad, depending. The Springer Precision trigger's I've tried on XD's are way better than the stock XDM trigger.
So, it seems to me that for competition, the XDM trigger will require some improvement, you would still probably desire a change in sights, you still only load 10 rounds - I don't see the advantage.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
This is good cuz I dont do any competion shooting just a guy that like's gun's and I was debating on a XD40sc, XD40 tac or a XDm 40 to carry. I dont have to worry about CC cuz Washington state is OC. So I'm still undecided. But keep going and I might decide.

ETA I just went and bought the XDm 40. Will get it next week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the XDM 40 my step dad has the xd 40. I went with the XDM because the grip fit my hand better. IMHO the trigger was better than the stock XD. I don't have plans for a trigger mod on the XDM yet. I would recommend you handle both and see what feels better for you. I'm sure you will be pleased either way.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
^
That's what I was thinking. I bought my first XD9 SC and even before I shot it I loved it. When I went and shot it, I feel more in love with it. I'm a true believer in the XD's and I know this XDm 40 will and is better then my Taurus Millenium Pro 40. SC so I cant complain. O and I just sold my Taurus so I could buy my XDm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just spent yesterday shooting bot my XDm40 and my Bro-in-laws XD40 tactical. Both him and I agree that the XD is worth the extra 75-100$ in price out off the box. With in 50 round he was shooting tighter patterns with my XDm then he was with his XD40 and the to him the XDm has slightly less recoil but I didn't really notice but then again I AM a rookie pistol owner. Some say the XDm is picky on ammo and have issues with cheap stuff but I now have 750 rounds of ammo through mine including a 250 round box of Remington UMC 180g and 100 round WWB and haven't had ONE issue with it, justs eats ammo like a mofo. :mrgreen: With modifications the XDm might not be worth it but its a noticable improvement out of the box compared to the XD. I'm sure there is alot more "goodies" out for the XD but give the aftermarket another year or so with the XDm.
P.S. my Bro-in-law is going to see how much it costs to trade up to a XDm monday morning.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I owned a tactical set up for competition and then bought the XDm and had the same work done on it. Sold the tactical a month later.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I wonder what the OP actually did, seeing how it has been over a year.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I wonder what the OP actually did, seeing how it has been over a year.
he got a xdm 9mm with a powder river target trigger kit,TFO sights,polished the barrel.............lol.........i don't know but sounds good:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess I may be missing something but if the question is "what are the differences?" and the list of guns being compared includes XD Tactical and XDm, why hasn't anyone mentioned the .5 inch barrel length difference?

XD Tac uses a 5" barrel versus the 4.5" max length on the XDm's. I haven't shot the XD Tactical's 5", but I would assume better accuracy given the extra bit of rifling. Yes or No?

Can anyone comment on accuracy or performance of the two weapons in the perspective of that factor?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I guess I may be missing something but if the question is "what are the differences?" and the list of guns being compared includes XD Tactical and XDm, why hasn't anyone mentioned the .5 inch barrel length difference?

XD Tac uses a 5" barrel versus the 4.5" max length on the XDm's. I haven't shot the XD Tactical's 5", but I would assume better accuracy given the extra bit of rifling. Yes or No?
The XDM is a match grade barrel where the XD tactical is not. That may or may not offset the extra .5 length of rifling...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts