Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this forum and I have been wondering if anyone has had any experience using match grade ammunition with their XDM? I have a .45 ACP and I shoot spectacular groups with just regular target ammo but have been thinking of toying around with Match Grade ammo while I sport shoot.

P.S. With low end target ammo I put 8 rapid fire shots within a 2.5 inch group at 25 feet..

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
If you want to spend the extra $ on match grade ammo, I say go for it. The XDm .45 ACP is an accurate weapon. My match ammo is handloaded and I recommend that you consider getting into handloading your own match grade ammo. My handloads are extremely accurate in my XDm .45!;)

Welcome to the forum!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
When you consider that the XD/XDm are considered combat accurate firearms ... It seems like wasted money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys.. I was not aware that you could handload match ammo. I also heard that reloads were shunned apon in the Xd/m's. . @57K how do you like the match trigger kit compared to the stock XDM trigger?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know about match grade commercial ammo, but careful handloads seem to make a difference.

Yesterday at the range, I ran some of my usual handload - Berry's 200 gr HP / 4.2 gr of Clays / Federal primers / Winchester cases - through my XD45 ay 20 yds and got this group.

That was shot two-hand standing, so I'm sure the gun would do better from a rest. Also note that I've installed a trigger stop. That makes a big difference, at least the way I shoot.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
@57K how do you like the match trigger kit compared to the stock XDM trigger?
I love it. Pull weight is reduced to around 4# and the trigger stop does it's job with no overtravel. To tell the truth, I never fired my XDm .45 stock. I put the trigger kit in before my first trip to the range as I knew I wanted to be able to at least eliminate as much overtravel as possible. My XDm is a very accurate pistol.;)

Nice shooting Japle!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the welcome to the forum greeting fellas. I have been considering putting a new trigger kit in my .45 just have not really had the time recently. I did buy the base pad kit for the .45 which turns this bad boy into a 18+1 Winchester Ranger-T +P load carrying monster hahahahah but I will do some more homework about handloading match ammo.. @ Japle.... Nice shooting indeed thats impressive.... Thats out of the regular XD?

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Well, I would guarantee those kinds of groups from my XDm .45 ACP off a rest at 50'. It too has had some trigger work. PRP Match Easy Fit trigger kit I installed. BUT for handheld shooting that is an impressive group, JAPLE.;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
While I am sure that all of the match grade ammo is very good. If you start to hand load you can always work up a load that any given pistol is partial to.

I also found that the trigger was my week point for accuracy with the XDm, after trigger job so much better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know about match grade commercial ammo, but careful handloads seem to make a difference.

Yesterday at the range, I ran some of my usual handload - Berry's 200 gr HP / 4.2 gr of Clays / Federal primers / Winchester cases - through my XD45 ay 20 yds and got this group.

That was shot two-hand standing, so I'm sure the gun would do better from a rest. Also note that I've installed a trigger stop. That makes a big difference, at least the way I shoot.
Japle, have you tried any others such 230 or does the XDM like the 200 best. I already been loading 230 for another and just wondering.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have only shot three types of ammo out of my XDM45, winchester whitebox, federal FMJs and WWII spamcan ball ammo, I normally shoot at 7, 15 and 25 yard incriments and at 7 yards I can hit pop cans every shot, at 15 yards I can shoot soup cans weak hand/single hand and at 25 I shoot 8" groups...

I say "why waste money on match grade when you have this accuracy with cheapos?"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts