Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got an xdm 9mm for my first handgun. i'll be 21 in a few months and will get my concealed license. i was wondering if anyone plans on or does conceal their xdm? i live in colorado where i wear jackets and stuff like half the year that could hide a larger gun but i'm pretty set on gettin an xd sc 9mm soon for atleast the warmer months. i'd love to hear some feed back

·
Registered
43 Posts
No problem. Carry mine in a Crossbreed Supertuck in Houston. Our "winter" lasts six weeks. Don't have the luxury of wearing a jacket very often. No problem with the length or weight but I pay a little more attention to insure the grip isn't printing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too plan to carry my XDM 9mm for CC.

I originally planned on strictly OC with this weapon just to show it off a bit ;) but the laws here in MO are finicky. There are too many municipality - municipality issues to deal with.

I think the XDM should be a fine pistol to CC.

I believe it is pretty much how it works for the individual.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So one of the reasons that I was hesitant about picking up the XDM is that a lot of people were commenting that it would be too large for CCW, I compared them in store to several guns that I carry on a routine basis and in some cases it was smaller, but in the few cases where it was larger, it wasn't much larger.

Here's some pics I took this evening, you can get a general idea of dimensions from the mat.

Note that I align guns by the trigger guards, when you think about it, it's basically the one aspect of most guns that are similar and gives a better visual of actual size difference.

Here's most of my demo guns, not pictured is the 3" 1911 and J-Frame.

Now up until recently, my main carry gun had often been a 5" 1911, while the XDM has over twice the capacity of a 1911, size wise it's actually smaller than my Les Baer as shown.

:)redface:Sorry about the finger, but due to the slide profile of the "M" slide, it liked to tilt grip up when laying down)

Side by side, standard thickness grips on the 1911.

The "M" is not as thick as I thought...

Here is the "M" along with my Hi Power, the HP is actually a bit longer than the XDM.

And side by side, the XDM and the HP.

And as we all know, it's the grip that's hardest to conceal, right?

Well here's the XDM along with my HK P7.

Now while the P7 is considerably smaller, most of that is due to the low bore axis allowed by the gas system and recoil spring being around the barrel.

Again, side by side to show thickness.

Without doing an actual measurement, it appears that the P7 is a little more narrow, but remember that the P7 is a single stack 9mm with a capacity of 8+1.

Next up is the Sig 229 and the "M"

Forgive me, but while I do have a pretty good collection, the best I could do for this comparison is a "Blue Gun" from Ring's.

OK, so now what about some smaller guns?

Here are the "M", a 3" Kimber and a S&W J-Frame 360.

I didn't do a side by side as the Kimber should be darn close to the thickness of the other 1911 pictured, the only difference might be in the grips, but not much. I also didn't think to get a side by side of the J-Frame before packing it back into the safe.

Now while many still won't carry something of that size, you can see that it's not that big, over all it's in the same size class as the Hi Power(13-15 rds.), the Sig 228/229 (13rds), full frame 1911s (8rds), I'd like to get a G19/23 for size comparison, but that will have to wait.

Overall I don't think concealment will be an issue, I can hide the XDM-9 with the included paddle holster under a vest, so once I get my IWB I think it will hide the same as my current carry guns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One nice thing about Colorado is that it is an open carry state (except Denver County). Not that I am a fan of open carry, but it does provide options.

The wait for your CHP in Colorado is somewhat lengthy right now (6+ weeks), so you will have some time to check different holsters.

Good luck and welcome to XDTalk.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
The best thing you can do is get urself a Crossbreed Supertuck!! Best thign ever invented. For carry anyway. I love it. I carry my HK usp .40 daily. My next one is going to be the XDm 9. HOw can someone not want 19 + 1? :) Good luck :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
The best thing you can do is get urself a Crossbreed Supertuck!! Best thign ever invented. For carry anyway. I love it. I carry my HK usp .40 daily. My next one is going to be the XDm 9. HOw can someone not want 19 + 1? :) Good luck :)
I carry my 9mm xdm in the holster it came with....only because my supertuck hasn't arrived yet...lol
Can't wait to try it out....everyone i've talked to loves theirs.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
So one of the reasons that I was hesitant about picking up the XDM is that a lot of people were commenting that it would be too large for CCW, I compared them in store to several guns that I carry on a routine basis and in some cases it was smaller, but in the few cases where it was larger, it wasn't much larger.

[Truncation]

.....once I get my IWB I think it will hide the same as my current carry guns.
Great Job on the comparisons. I find the XDs to be a bit thicker and tougher to conceal than my LB Stinger, but as you point out, the M carries a bit more onboard. (But I still carry the LB and a Sig 232).

I am considering a Dakota Defender for my M. I think it looks close to my MS, and think it'll carry just as well, but less pricey and without the six month wait.

Again, thanks for the effort on the post! :p

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I carry a service XD 9 everyday. The XDM is barely bigger. No issues over the XD service.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am 5' 7" 180 lbs and I carry an Xdm 40 in a Bullard Dual Carry . It conceals real nice and is very comfortable.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I carry the XDm 9mm in a Cross Breed Supertuck with no issues. The thing I like about the super tuck is you can actually tuck your shirt in which is nice since I work in an office. As several have said these holsters are really top notch. I love mine and another plus is they will hold any XD or XDm.

·
Registered
187 Posts
OUTSTANDING comparison there jdlv4_0! Great job!

Let's just hope that this puts to rest the "it's to big to carry" mantra. I carry a full size Kimber Custom CDP II1911 and see no reason why the XDm would be any more difficult to carry.

The best thing you can do is get urself [sic] a Crossbreed Supertuck!! Best thign [sic] ever invented. For carry anyway. I love it.
Curious, in your opinion what makes the Crossbreed Supertuck better than, say, a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2.

Thanks.
/tg

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The wait for your CHP in Colorado is somewhat lengthy right now (6+ weeks), so you will have some time to check different holsters.

Good luck and welcome to XDTalk.
While I realize that 6 weeks may be longer than some states, in TN the gov't has 90 days to issue, and they typically take every minute of it to get the permit to you.

I realize the comment's off topic, but I'd love to have had to wait only 6 weeks. My wife just applied for hers, and she's not going to receive it until Mar-April.

·
Registered
187 Posts
While I realize that 6 weeks may be longer than some states, in TN the gov't has 90 days to issue, and they typically take every minute of it to get the permit to you.

I realize the comment's off topic, but I'd love to have had to wait only 6 weeks. My wife just applied for hers, and she's not going to receive it until Mar-April.
Not arguing, just some info. I'm a TN state certified carry instructor. Our range has trained 27k people over it's life. Don't know how many people that is in the last five years that I have been there, but I can tell you that every single class is booked with people on standby. Our range is a School first, range second, when a class is not in progress.

The wait time seems to be all over the place. We have noticed that if you submit it around any of the holidays it will get delayed. Of course Christmas seems to be the worst. About seven years ago a friend and I went through the whole processes together and it took the full 90 days (We submitted our stuff in late October).

But now the norm seems to be about four to six weeks. I know some people have received theirs in under eighteen days. Another friend got theirs about 18-months go and he got his in just over a month.

In TN, you never know ;)

/tg

·
Registered
16 Posts

I hear that here in Texas it is taking as long as six months from paperwork submission to receiving the license. I haven't started the process, but knowing I won't have it until sometime in the summer sure takes away some of the excitement.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Taking my CCW class tomorrow. They tell me, the process is about 3 to 3 1/2 mths. here in NC. :(

·
Registered
282 Posts
Taking my CCW tomorrow too and I have a friend that has his now and says it took him over 90 days. :sad:! I am hoping not that long out here in TX.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts