Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I picked up a new in box XDM9 4.5 and now I'm trying to learn about the critter. I've only had half a box of ammo down the pipe but that went well. It was late and getting dark.

I've dry fired it a few times, well, less than 100 times and meant to pick up some snap caps on the way home.

So I did a bit of reading to see how well this firearm holds up with dry firing and and ran into a monster retaining pin thread that after 6 pages, I gave up on since it looked like a p*ss*ng contest.

I'm going to get some snap caps tomorrow or set it on the shelf until I have them. The concern now is did I do damage to that roll pin already.

Is there a better roll pin?

Did the factory fix the problem with a stronger roll pin?

How do you replace the pin?

Is a spiral pin better?

If the pin breaks will the gun still shoot?

Thanks,

Szumi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No luck buying snap caps locally or getting any of my questions answered.

Oh well, I ordered some snap caps from opticsplanet, those will be in Tuesday.

Szumi

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
It WILL still shoot but this problem is a hit and miss thing. I have several XDs ( no XDms ) and many many dry fires through them and the only one that broke a pin is my newest one, an XD-40 Service. Go figure < shrugg >.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
True enough it is a hit and miss problem ... I've got +12,000 rounds through a XD9 and have no clue how many dry fires it has dealt with.

I'm still on the original pin, and it has never been removed ... I also strongly suspect that at least a few of the complaints are due to removal and re-insertion of the original pin.

It's an expendable item, and should be replaced, if removed.

OP
I'd not really worry about it ... Kaboom is correct, the gun will still function with a broken pin, and I seriously doubt you did any damage.

But if you don't feel comfortable with it, the replacement can be purchased at most of the better hardware stores ... There's nothing special about a roll-pin, except it's size, and while I might be wrong, I believe it is a 3mm x 16mm pin.

And from what I've read, you can buy 10 of them for less than a dollar.

If you search a few of the pin threads, the size can be confirmed, or if you wait a while, someone will either confirm, or correct my memory.

Welcome to the forum !!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
wow didn't realize they would be just a normal roll pin from ACE. i might have to pick up a pack just to have on hand.

True enough it is a hit and miss problem ... I've got +12,000 rounds through a XD9 and have no clue how many dry fires it has dealt with.

I'm still on the original pin, and it has never been removed ... I also strongly suspect that at least a few of the complaints are due to removal and re-insertion of the original pin.

It's an expendable item, and should be replaced, if removed.

OP,
I'd not really worry about it ... Kaboom is correct, the gun will still function with a broken pin, and I seriously doubt you did any damage.

But if you don't feel comfortable with it, the replacement can be purchased at most of the better hardware stores ... There's nothing special about a roll-pin, except it's size, and while I might be wrong, I believe it is a 3mm x 16mm pin.

And from what I've read, you can buy 10 of them for less than a dollar.

If you search a few of the pin threads, the size can be confirmed, or if you wait a while, someone will either confirm, or correct my memory.

Welcome to the forum !!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. The important thing to me is that is goes bang when I pull the trigger.

Searching this site, I found a link to a youtube on field stripping the slide. Nothing very difficult.

McMaster has the split pin, I haven't found a source for the spirol pin yet. I push a tool box for a living repairing all sorts of automation so I'm well acquainted with spring pins and spirol pins. Spirol pins are fantastic.

McMaster doesn't carry a M3x16 spirol but they carry the M3x18. I can cut that down using an abrasive cut off wheel. McMaster pn 91612A226. Currently $6.35 per 25, no way I'm paying Powder Rivers prices.

Thanks,

Szumi

·
Registered
353 Posts
Part of my training has me dry firing often. I would be embarrassed if mine broke. We do at least 50 dry fires per session pmis at home dry fire practice in the hundreds weekly.. I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts