Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that this has been a design challenge for the XD - they seem to break often.

Does anyone know if they addressed this in the XDm?

As a new XDm owner, should I get some of these as spares? Is it even the same part?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I have read that this has been a design challenge for the XD - they seem to break often.

As a new XDm owner, should I get some of these as spares? Is it even the same part?
And who made that statement? Do a search and you will find that there are very few cases of broken roll pins. That said it is a part that can get a lot of abuse and is easy to change so many competitive shooters carry extras. In addition like any roll pin frequent removal with the wrong tool will create wear and loosen the pin's press fit. So if you plan on tearing your down a lot it would be a good idea to have a spare. I have had 6 or 7 XDs at one time or another and probably 20,000 rounds between them and I have never replaced a roll pin, I pretty sure I don't even have a spare right now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not a competitive shooter - I won't put anywhere near that many rounds through this one. I have just read more than a few posts (here and elsewhere) that people have experienced failure of this part and that it is a perceived weakness in the design. All references I've read are to the XD not the XDm so I'm wondering if, in fact it is an issue, Springfield changed anything in the "m".

It is thought by some that it may be related to repeated dry-firing without snap-caps or equivalent media to catch the striker. Without anything else to stop it, the striker bangs against the pin. I have been dry-firing for practice but I have about 6 snap-caps that I use.

I understand that everything you read on a forum (or anywhere else for that matter) is not necessarily truth... I'm just learning everything I can and trying to sort out the truth from fiction.

I do not intend to break the gun down further than a basic field strip for regular maintenance/cleaning. I do have the proper tools and some very basic 'smithing knowledge but would only go further if it was absolutely necessary to repair something.

I'm just new to this gun and am wondering if I should pick up some spares just in case. They are pretty cheap ($1.25 for 3) and I am planning on placing an order for a stainless guide rod and recoil spring anyway...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Some time if you are going to be ordering other parts throw in a package but I wouldn't pay the shipping charges for just the pins.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
That $2 part is about the only real wear part and it will last a long time -- almost indefinitely if the gun is not dry fired. I've dry fired mine a couple thousand times and inspected the pin - it had some marking from the contact but looked like it would go 10x the amount of strikes.

(real hard or even impossible to tell from a visual -- but you get the idea, it didn't look like it was damaged just scuffed on one side.)

·
Registered
243 Posts

Man, just enjoy the damn gun and stop worrying about some of the BS you read on this (or any other) forum...

I have a XDM 9mm and I have dry fired it probably 500 times with no snap caps and have probably shot +3,000 rounds through it with ZERO issue.

Just go enjoy the gun and if you want to read anything read up on a trigger job (PRP) or some other accessories... don't sweat the "what ifs."

·
Registered
67 Posts
They can still break, I just got my pistol back from Springfield Armory fixing it, although I'm not too sure that many of them break unless something is out of spec.

I had two pins break each in a few hundred dry fires, when I sent it to Springfield they replaced the striker assembly and pin, I just got it back today so I really can't tell yet if it will work.

I've seen lots of reports of thousand and thousands of dry fires and no issues though.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Then only problem I've ever had was when my original pin started to back out 1mm when I would shoot. I fixed that problem by spending $2.00 on a mulipack of them. In my mind it's a consumable part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts