Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, it’s been awhile since I’ve had a Xdm but I just picked up a new Xdm 10mm 2 weeks ago, put one mag through it flawlessly. Went to clean it today and I noticed this “v” in the slide between the barrel and the guide rod. My question is, is it a defect of is it normal? I only question this because it doesn’t look like a precision cut, it looks like crap in my opinion, please let me know what you guys think. And no I didn’t see any metal chunks when I disassembled it, nor did I notice any issues when firing, it just doesn’t look right at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,575 Posts
We’ve seen this before, but I can’t remember what Springfield said/did.

But it definitely doesn’t loo right.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd contact Springfield for sure.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Doesn't look right at all imho, get with customer service at SA, I'm sure they will want to take a look at that more closely based on your pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I did try to call last night but they were closed so I left a message and I emailed them pictures. I guess we will see what they say Monday. I’ll definitely let you guys know what comes out of this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about this, I seem to recall SA said it was normal...

https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/chip-is-slide.271559/

Found the thread.
@Cuda66
I read through that older thread, I don’t see how it would be normal as most of them said that was SA’s response. I could see it being normal if it looked machined out but I think we all agree that it looks like crap. I’m going to my local gun store today and going to compare all of there xdm’s over 4”

·
Registered
29,575 Posts
@Cuda66
I read through that older thread, I don’t see how it would be normal as most of them said that was SA’s response. I could see it being normal if it looked machined out but I think we all agree that it looks like crap. I’m going to my local gun store today and going to compare all of there xdm’s over 4”
I do agree...compared to @Jester560 ’s pic above, yours looked very jagged...if that’s normal, it’s some of the piss-poorest machining I’ve seen on an XD.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is normal. Its a good question that many new owners have, although many never notice the cut out. You will find this cut out on a lot of firearms where the barrel tilts during case extraction and ejection. It probably looks worse than it is because of the residue in the area. What does it look like once you clean it up? it should look much closer to @Jester560 pic above as Cuda66 noted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is normal. Its a good question that many new owners have, although many never notice the cut out. You will find this cut out on a lot of firearms where the barrel tilts during case extraction and ejection. It probably looks worse than it is because of the residue in the area. What does it look like once you clean it up? it should look much closer to @Jester560 pic above as Cuda66 noted.
Cleaning it will do nothing, it’s not gonna change the shape of the metal. I’m not cleaning it until I hear back from SA. It’s not like I’ve ran a couple hundred or thousand rounds through it, literally one mag the day I bought it. What bothers me is all the wear that shows inside the guide rod spring hole, chip on right side of slide in the picture, scratches on the bottom of the barrel and the ragged ass v notch doesn’t seem normal. If you look at Jesters pic it is clearly rounded and was done prior to cerakote, which is also what I noticed this morning when I went to my local gun shop and compared to their xdm 4.5” models, they agreed that it doesn’t look right. At the end of the day all that matters is what SA says.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guys, it’s been awhile since I’ve had a Xdm but I just picked up a new Xdm 10mm 2 weeks ago, put one mag through it flawlessly. Went to clean it today and I noticed this “v” in the slide between the barrel and the guide rod. My question is, is it a defect of is it normal? I only question this because it doesn’t look like a precision cut, it looks like crap in my opinion, please let me know what you guys think. And no I didn’t see any metal chunks when I disassembled it, nor did I notice any issues when firing, it just doesn’t look right at all.
Perfectly fine!!!! It’s a function, not a flaw! Mine has it and every other I saw does too. It’s actually for your barrel tilt. Mine runs like a champ and will eat anything brass or steel cased ammo. Got about 15 cases through it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's normal. My XDm 10 5.25'' has it as does my XDm 9 osp. XDs 4.0's have it as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My XDM 9mm has that cut out, but it's a clean machined cut, not cracked and raged.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My 2019 5.25" 10mm XDM has that web (?) located further forward. The rear of the web is about even with the rear of the front sight. No chips or machined cutaways.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yes it’s the 4.5”
I know you didn't ask me but I got the 4.5 OSP version. It is 4.5 slide but has the 5.3 inch threaded barrel.
Reason I asked is I have an Xdm Comp .45ACP 5.25" barrel which doesn't show a "cutout" (if you can call it that) at all, am wanting to get a 10mm but I'd check them out in person first.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I’m going to my local gun store today and going to compare all of there xdm’s over 4”
Have you been able to find out anything there? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts