Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new here but been posting a little and have a question of my own now. About 3 mos ago I made my purchase of the XDM .40. I have put probably in area of 1000 rounds thru it with many ammo variations...ie Federal, Blazer, Winchester and even my own reloads. It is still right out of the box stock and this thing shoots LOW, I don't mean an inch or two I am talking 6 plus depending on distance. At about 8 meters I am hitting several inches below POA. Obviously, the further out I go the lower it gets. As I said, I have tried different ammo and my own reloads and nothing in the ammunition department makes ANY difference. Next I suspected my shooting skill but I have no issues with any of my other handguns which leads me to think its an issue with this one? I can drill the same targets at the same distance with my others so....?

Question is does anyone else have this issue? Think this would be correctable with adjustable sights? Ideas...suggestions?? I love this weapon, but if I can't shoot it straight it doesn't serve me well....:sad:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the xdm. 45 and it has shot low, but it was definately my fault. I was anticipating the kick and pulling the muzzle down as a result. Easily correctable for me. Aside from that it seems to be spot on regardless of what I feed it.

Sorry to hear your having issues with your. 40

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased a XDM-9 and a Glock 19. At the range yesterday, the XDM was definitely shooting low - 3-5" at 7 yards, while Glock was very accurate. Same ammo, same shooter. This is unacceptable and I hope SA has a solution.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the xdm. 45 and it has shot low, but it was definately my fault. I was anticipating the kick and pulling the muzzle down as a result. Easily correctable for me. Aside from that it seems to be spot on regardless of what I feed it.

Sorry to hear your having issues with your. 40
Was really hopping that was the issue I was having. However, after all the rounds and different ammo that I have put thru this thing trying to figure out if it was me, the gun or some of both it is consistant with every shot and shooter (had my brother and a buddy fire it as well) of shooting at least 3-5 inches. I have measured on more than one occasion 6 inches low at 8-10 meters. It is consistantly low at all ranges, closer and farther away with greater distance obviously increasing the drop and shorter distance not so much.

My only thought is to have the factory sights replaced with some high quality adjustable sights but hate to spend a bunch on something that is going to be what it is going to be.

·
Registered
895 Posts
IF YOUR GUN SHOOTS LOW IT IS 100% YOUR FAULT, bench it and it'll shoot bullseyes everytime. Low shots happen due to exsessive trigger pull/jerk, when you are pulling the trigger 'back' you are actually causing the barrel of the gun to drop and thus low shots, try pulling the trigger with only your front pad and pull it very very slowly the first couple shots, it will make your trigger finger more isolated and will have less effect on your grip and the aim of the gun once pulled. any slight movement after the trigger is pulled will make an impact on where your bullet hits. another thing to remember if you are causing the barrel to drop say only 1/4 inch at 15 yards that can be 4 inches lower than bullseye. SHOOTING BULLSEYES IS ABOUT GOOD SIGHT PICTURE AND ISOLATED TRIGGER PULLS.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I just purchased a XDM-9 and a Glock 19. At the range yesterday, the XDM was definitely shooting low - 3-5" at 7 yards, while Glock was very accurate. Same ammo, same shooter. This is unacceptable and I hope SA has a solution.
Really?! They do!!.... its called learn some trigger control;)

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Well, let's see. Same (experienced) shooter, same ammo, same day, same wind, same everything. One pistol accurate ... one shoots low.

How about someone that has something useful to add!
So seeing as this is the first thread you have ever posted in as a new member... did you join simply to say how awesome your Glock shoots, and make up accusations that SA has a problem with accuracy?

I did add something useful... learn some trigger control before you blame your weapon for your own lack of accuracy:rolleyes:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IF YOUR GUN SHOOTS LOW IT IS 100% YOUR FAULT, bench it and it'll shoot bullseyes everytime. Low shots happen due to exsessive trigger pull/jerk, when you are pulling the trigger 'back' you are actually causing the barrel of the gun to drop and thus low shots, try pulling the trigger with only your front pad and pull it very very slowly the first couple shots, it will make your trigger finger more isolated and will have less effect on your grip and the aim of the gun once pulled. any slight movement after the trigger is pulled will make an impact on where your bullet hits. another thing to remember if you are causing the barrel to drop say only 1/4 inch at 15 yards that can be 4 inches lower than bullseye. SHOOTING BULLSEYES IS ABOUT GOOD SIGHT PICTURE AND ISOLATED TRIGGER PULLS.
Thanks for the input!;) However I've been shooting 20+ years, I know that a trigger jerk will cause a shot to go off POA, however I have shot from bench, off hand and had this weapon fired by others besides myself with the same result every single time out of at least 1000 rounds, factory and reloads alike. I could accept the explaination of it being me jerking the trigger if it were an occasional issue, but it's not. I have exhaused the ammunition thought and feel confident that it is not my ability to fire this weapon with proper trigger control, it's not real complicated. As I said I can drill these targets with every one of my other handguns. I am inclined to think this is a sight issue as all my other handguns do have adjustable sights and have zero issues with them.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well, let's see. Same (experienced) shooter, same ammo, same day, same wind, same everything. One pistol accurate ... one shoots low.

How about someone that has something useful to add!
get your head out of your (experienced) glock ass, and go back to glock talk where they actually want to hear about glocks not here at XDtalk, u r obviously comfortable with the horrible glock grip and trigger and not the XD . my glocks were generic, were littered with malfunctions, horribly harsh let go in the trigger assembly, and i couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the stupid grip angle/shape an worst sights ever. got into XD's and problems solved and shooting bullseyes very very easily with never a failure from any of my 3. sorry to hate on glocks on xdtalk.com.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So seeing as this is the first thread you have ever posted in as a new member... did you join simply to say how awesome your Glock shoots, and make up accusations that SA has a problem with accuracy?

I did add something useful... learn some trigger control before you blame your weapon for your own lack of accuracy:rolleyes:
Ah, figured it would not take long for the conspiracy flames. I only mentioned the Glock because both pistols are brand new out of the box.

I only found this thread/forum because of Google, which apparently did not highlight that this was the "Everything is perfect with SA and the XDM forum".

Do your own search and you will see that others have had similar issues, requiring a sight adjustment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
get your head out of your (experienced) glock ass, and go back to glock talk where they actually want to hear about glocks not here at XDtalk, u r obviously comfortable with the horrible glock grip and trigger and not the XD . my glocks were generic, were littered with malfunctions, horribly harsh let go in the trigger assembly, and i couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the stupid grip angle/shape an worst sights ever. got into XD's and problems solved and shooting bullseyes very very easily with never a failure from any of my 3. sorry to hate on glocks on xdtalk.com.
You missed the point - my XDM is not accurate out of the box.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I am no expert but here is what I think. have you considered taking your pistol to a gunsmith, have him shoot it to see if he can determine if it is the sights on the pistol? I am interested in learning what you find out about it. I have a xdm .40 3.8 compact on lay-a- way and and trying to learn all I can about the platform. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an XDM compact 9mm and I am a new shooter. 1000 rounds, maybe, ever! I have been practicing my grip and trigger pull. On my COMPACT 9mm from 7 yards I have 2'' Grouppings.... i doubt your full sized xd is giving you accuracy problems. springfiels POA is different than a Glock. Read your OM and adjust

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you are confident its not an issue with your trigger pull then I would give SA a call to see what their thoughts are. If it's a site issue I can't imagine it wouldn't be under warranty

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Ah, figured it would not take long for the conspiracy flames. I only mentioned the Glock because both pistols are brand new out of the box.

I only found this thread/forum because of Google, which apparently did not highlight that this was the "Everything is perfect with SA and the XDM forum".

Do your own search and you will see that others have had similar issues, requiring a sight adjustment.
I didnt say everything was perfect with SA... but shooting low is a common problem with trigger control around here... do a search in the forum.

And yeah, if your first post is how awesome your Glock is and how inaccurate your XD is, then you should expect to get flamed on a XD forum:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Have either of you guys with the low shooting weapons allowed someone else to shoot it to see if it's the same for them?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts