Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently experienced shooting higher than the point of aim shooting the XDm. I let a few other co-workers shoot the XDm and they had the same results. I finally got around to calling Springfield Armory and told the rep the issues I was having and asked if there had been any other complaints about the XDm shooting high. The rep told me that is a common issues with the factory sights. The rep told me if you are shooting at 25 yards, all shots will probably be about 6 inches higher than the point of aim. They are expecting to get different sights to correct that problem (it will probably be either a shorter front sight blade or a taller rear). The sights made for the regular XD's will work and should correct the problem but will not have the same style as the XDm's.

Has there been any issues w/ anyone elses XDm shooting high with factory sights? Attached is a pic of where the shots are hitting. Up close at 3 yard, its right on. At 10 yards, my point of aim is at the bottom line and the shots are hitting about it.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Emm... you would need a TALLER front sight or SHORTER rear to bring the point of impact down. See... this is why I like ADJUSTABLE sights on my pistols! What with reloading and the huge variety of factory ammunition available with different bullet weights and thus traveling at vastly different speeds, the point of impact (POI) is bound to be much different with different rounds. We should all lobby the gun companies for durable adjustable sights.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Oh.. by the way, I should have noted that 40SW rounds at the factory are generally of the 180grn bullet weight variety when sights are considered by the manufacturer. Thus the bullet speed is most often in the mid to high 900fps range and that is what the sights are most generally set for by the engineers. 165 or 155grn bullets will obviously go faster and have a different trajectory.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was using new Federal HST 180gr jhp. I have two other xd's (xd45 tact and xd9sc) and they shoot right on the money. I was going to get adjustable sights but heard they are not good for on duty due to being banged around in the gun locker all the time which make them loose and move.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Glad to see you post because I am having the same issue with my new XDm-40 and wish to try to find the best available sight. I would like to install something adjustable and preferably tritium. Just curious how many are doing this & what they are using. Great Forum -- glad to be here !

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep....that would make it a 6 o clock point of aim. I plan on going to the range again this week to shoot a few more hundred rnds. I suppose it would be good to shoot bulleye targets if you aim where the black meets the white .....it should hit center

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Yep....that would make it a 6 o clock point of aim. I plan on going to the range again this week to shoot a few more hundred rnds. I suppose it would be good to shoot bulleye targets if you aim where the black meets the white .....it should hit center
If you check the manual for the XDM you'll find that the sights are tuned to a 6 o'clock point of aim. Which I have confirmed shooting my XDm at 40 ft off a bench rest. Gun shoots perfectly to point of aim if you use a 6 o'clock site picture.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree with you, however I probably want to maintain shooting at a point of aim instead of a six o clock hold. I want to keep it the same as my other XD's. I am using the XDm as a duty weapon.

Scooter123.....at 25 yards on a bench, were most of your shots going high about 4-6 inches?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I cannot say for myself what the point of aim is at 25 yards. My local range is only 60 feet long and, as I have been slowly working the target back, the longest distance that I have shot the XDm is 40 feet. Using my case as a bench rest it will yield a 2 inch pattern perfectly centered on the X if you use a 6 o'clock site picture. Offhand at that distance I shot 13 out of 15 into a 3 inch circle with only 2 flyers last Saturday so I am quite pleased with the pistol. Because the XDm is my first pistol, I have been training myself to use the 6 o'clock site picture. Frankly, I can see the sense of this system because it does permit a better view of the target.

However, if you don't like adapting to this system, I would suggest that you look into having different sights installed that are more suitable to your shooting style. As I understand it, any sight that fits the XD series will also fit the XDm although I have not yet confirmed that with S.A. I have an email into them about what fibre optics will fit the XDm, and maintain the present site picture, but have not yet heard back from them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SA informs me the standard XD sights will fit on a xdm however it will have a different style and will not look as good. I plan on waiting a few more weeks.....if they do not have sights made for the xdm, i am gonna have them throw on xd sights or gonna buy truglow tfo's.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Bullet type and weight, powder type and charge, ambient temperature all have an effect on point of impact.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sent SA an email last week asking them if anyone was in the process or planning on making any sights specially made for the XDm. I was curious because i like how the factory sights flush up with the back of the slide, and XD sights wont do that. They replied and said no, not that they are aware of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same problem about 25% of the time. I also have trouble with 25% of the shots hitting low, 25% hitting left, and 25% hitting right. I hope they fix this obvious site problem I have. :wink:

:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same problem about 25% of the time. I also have trouble with 25% of the shots hitting low, 25% hitting left, and 25% hitting right. I hope they fix this obvious site problem I have. :wink:

:)
There is nothing wrong with the factory sights. It uses the 6 o clock sight picture, where u line up the top of your sights with the bottom of your target, allowing you to see your entire target without blocking the it with your sights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the factory sights. It uses the 6 o clock sight picture, where u line up the top of your sights with the bottom of your target, allowing you to see your entire target without blocking the it with your sights.
Ummm.. you see... I was making...

ah never mind.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Has anybody shot these sights and if so whats your opinion??
I like the idea espically with my poor eye sight...

Sure Sight - The Newest Idea in Accurate Shooting
They are having some supply problems right now so they are way behind on orders. They are however a sight sponsor and Chaim is the one who did the original 20,000 round torture test. So I genuinely think it's just a little bit of rough going for Chaim plus I know he had some serious health issues earlier in the year. Cool sights from what I hear though!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Has anyone changed their XDm sights themselves? Springfield was willing to send me another rear sight which would make the gun shoot the point of aim instead of 6 o clock. They told me I should be able to do it myself. I just dont want to go crazy and screw it up. I would be more than happy to purchase a XDm sight adjustment tool if one was made. Otherwise i will send the gun back to SA and possibily have them install the regular XD night sights since its there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts