Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 88-year-old mentor advises NOT to regularly shoot at range with carry gun -- it will shorten its life expectancy, i.e., dependability when needed in a life or death situation.
He advises a "once a year practice" is all one needs with carry gun, and target practice for proficiency is best done with another gun.

So, the question is: How many rounds (trigger pulles) does Springfield cite as a reasonable life expectancy for XDMc 9mm?

I want to take that number, divide by 50 rounds per year, to calculate how many years (er, centuries?) my mentor would have me "once a year" practice.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
As I just said in the other thread you posed this question, your mentor is wrong.
First, you will be able to put tens of thousands of rounds down range with this gun and it will keep running strong.
Secondly, if you are going to carry a gun, you should practice and become proficient with it. Shooting it only once a year is not a good way to become familiar with the weapon.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There are many people here with 10's of thousands of rounds through their pistols. I've not seen a number from Springfield themselves, and I would bet that there isn't one.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
My 88-year-old mentor advises NOT to regularly shoot at range with carry gun -- it will shorten its life expectancy, i.e., dependability when needed in a life or death situation.
He advises a "once a year practice" is all one needs with carry gun, and target practice for proficiency is best done with another gun.

So, the question is: How many rounds (trigger pulles) does Springfield cite as a reasonable life expectancy for XDMc 9mm?

I want to take that number, divide by 50 rounds per year, to calculate how many years (er, centuries?) my mentor would have me "once a year" practice.
Sounds like you need a mentor who uses firearms from this century. I would hate to see the outcome of a situation where you had to use your carry gun to defend yourself after only putting 50 rounds A YEAR through it.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I shoot my carry pistols once or twice a month, and feel like that is nowhere near enough. Proficiency=victory. I would think a xd/xdm could easily exceed 50-75,000 rounds before needing major maintenance. I know there are a few members here with impressive round counts. I have heard of range rental glocks and xds with 100,000+ estimated rounds fired.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have thousands through mine (XDM9) and a friend I have who shoots an XD9 in several leagues has over 20,000 through his and it is his carry gun. So I think that advise seems dated.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
+1 for the other comments - the XD, XDM's, Glocks and other modern firearms can all shoot thousands or even 10's of thousands of rounds through their life, and with proper maintenance of some parts (springs, replacement of guide rod if necessary, strikers - which are all minor issues) will be reliable and give you a good, long "relationship."

Also agree with others, there needs to be a LOT of time spent practicing to make sure you and the gun are up and running 100% for that time that you may need to use it an emergency.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
LSL,
I suggest you start listening to a different mentor ;)

And,
Welcome to the forum !!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Agreed...think about how many HUNDREDS of thousands of rounds are fired through weapons in the army. I've seen a baretta with an almost polished barrel from being fired so much. Sure there had to have been some sort of upkeep performed...but come on. And I can not see how you would ever EVER want to shoot less...I shoot usually about 300 rounds in a 2 week period and still feel like I don't shoot enough. I think that guy is giving you information about black powder rovolvers or something...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Mentors are great. Having someone to look up to and help guide you through difficult times is priceless.

That being said they are not always right. As with anything you need to use your own common sense with the advice given. I have a few different people I go to when I need advice and I take what I agree with and leave what I don't.

As with the other members of this forum I would say he is VERY wrong.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If u shoot ur carry alot and you should know the recommended maintenance intervals....

The older gentleman is quite a bit off in his advice...

HOWEVER, I don't shoot my EDC as much as others because its a 3" 1911 and frankly the 5" is more fun to shoot.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Back when guns were made of Bronze, he might have been right...maybe he's just thinking of "the good ole days".

:)

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
With more use it will wear faster, but not wear out. There are guys on this forum with 10k + rounds and nothing but the striker pin to be replaced.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
With more use it will wear faster, but not wear out. There are guys on this forum with 10k + rounds and nothing but the striker pin to be replaced.
I haven't even had to do that, yet ... +13K and counting, totally stock :cool:

These guns are solid !!!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I have guns that are as old (give or take) as your mentor and shoot them.

He is probably well intentioned but none the less inaccurate.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My local range has an XD40 service that has just passed 120K rounds (its the same gun that convinced me to buy an XD40 as my 1st gun)
They also have an XDm 5.25 that has had 50K rounds through it.
Neither have had any problems related to the weapon, neither have had any more maintenance than cleaning.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Let's say that this is remotely true. Let's play with numbers! :)

If you just fire 100 rounds a month per month through your weapon, and you can expect a complete failure randomly any time after 5000 rounds. That's still four years of service before the gun explodes into dust from overuse. After that, in any given month you can expect to fire 100 rounds at the range and assume that you have to draw and fire your weapon in anger.

Say you need three rounds to put down your assailant. The odds of one of those rounds causing catastrophic failure, versus one of the rounds at the range, is still 3/103, or 2.9%. In any given month, your odds of failure are much greater at the range than on the street, so shouldn't you rather have your gun not shoot in a controlled setting?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I haven't even had to do that, yet ... +13K and counting, totally stock :cool:

These guns are solid !!!
Still have the stock recoil spring? My XD9sc is over 5000 maybe closing in on 6000 as I put another 150 rounds today through it. I replaced the recoil spring with another stock one around the 3000 mark. I don't think I needed to at all but SA said it was good to do so around the 3-4k mark.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Still have the stock recoil spring? My XD9sc is over 5000 maybe closing in on 6000 as I put another 150 rounds today through it. I replaced the recoil spring with another stock one around the 3000 mark. I don't think I needed to at all but SA said it was good to do so around the 3-4k mark.
XD9 Fails ... The gun is like a Timex watch.
XD Torture Test

1 - 20 of 46 Posts