Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the SA XDM 9mm 5.25" and a SA XDM 45 cal. with a 4.5" barrel.

Several questions.

1. Is there a general opinion as to when an owner of these guns should consider replacing the recoil spring ?
ie: After how many rounds.
2. Does the recoil spring brake or does it just begin to lose strength and affect the action ? ( perhaps both )
3. Is the recoil spring guide rod identical in my two guns ? ( They appear to be )
4. Is the recoil spring identical in my two guns ?
5. Is replacing the OEM recoil spring guide rod with a Stainless Steel rod worth the cost ?( on either or both guns )
6. What are the advantages of the SS guide rod ?

Thanks for your input.

Hanagan

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TSiWRX,

It looks to me like you were the right person to go to, since you've given this subject some serious thought.

Neither of the two guns I mentioned have a very high round count, but I was just thinking about the future.

Many thanks.

Hanagan

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don,
Sorry for using the wrong word. I see what I did incorrectly in my post.
I should have used break instead of brake.
It was intended to describe a "single-piece item becoming two or more pieces".

I will watch the ejection pattern as you suggested.

From what I have read on other postings relating to this subject, it appears that some members feel that a SS guide rod helps the recoil and/or upward muzzle flip on a 9 mm. If that is correct, do you think it would do the same for the SA 45 ACP ? Now when I fire the 45, there really is little recoil. As others have said, it feels more like a push.

Hanagan

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fred,

Thanks for the useful information. I'm going to go with that 5K round count for spring replacement, since it's easy to do and not very costly.

Your help is much appreciated.

Hanagan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts