Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as im buying a pistol soon and watching videos of the beretta 92a1 and xdm 4.5 and seems like the beretta barely moves and xdm is all over the place when being shot. And the is only 2 oz wight difference between the two.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Greater mass over bore axis in the XDm probably accounts for this observation, but experience and technique can mitigate muzzle flip and make the XDm a fast, accurate shooter.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Could the difference be different shooters in the videos or is it the same shooter? I would suggest going to a range and renting and shooting the pistols yourself to see which one is best for you.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Could the difference be different shooters in the videos or is it the same shooter? I would suggest going to a range and renting and shooting the pistols yourself to see which one is best for you.
This. I don't find muzzle flip to be excessive on the XDm, but I don't have experience with the Beretta.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Don't have experience with the Beretta but my xdm40 is extremely controllable even one handed. I have 14 handguns of various manufacturer and caliber and for me personally it's the most accurate and fun to shoot. To each his own though. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
393 Posts
My XDM 9 is the most controllable, accurate, and easy to shoot pistol I have ever fired. I would think that any full sized pistol, chambered for 9 mm, would be relatively tame to shoot. If memory serves me right, the XDM 9 weighs 32oz unloaded. It is also balanced very well. Due to it's heft and balance, it has always felt like a mild shooter to me, with little perceived recoil or muzzle flip. I love this pistol and have even carried it concealed during the winter months.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shot a sub compact xd9 and was super inaccurate, would i be more accurate with a 4.5 then? Still trying to find a range that has the 4.5 i can shoot

·
Registered
108 Posts
For a pistol, neither of them recoil very much at all, especially in 9mm. They're both very easy to control.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Greater mass over bore axis in the XDm probably accounts for this observation, but experience and technique can mitigate muzzle flip and make the XDm a fast, accurate shooter.
This.

Due to selling our Kalifornia home, moving here, and house-hunting, I hadn't had time to go shooting in over three months until yesterday.

After just a couple of "get comfortable again" magazines with my .45 XDm 4.5, I shot a third one full with 13 rounds...since I don't need my 10 round Kali mags any longer. :)

With one flyer taken out, the other 12 rounds at 7 yards were inside a 2-1/2" circle using a fairly rapid rate of fire. Mostly one ragged hole that just got bigger.

The .45's recoil recovery is among the best so I can't see how a 9mm model would be all over the place.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
+1.

If it's not the same shooter in the videos, Travis25, then there's not a very good basis for comparison.

And even if it is the same shooter, you'll have to find one who is honest enough to admit whether they really are as proficient with one gun as they are with the other.

By any chance, Travis25, do you have a link to the videos you watched?

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
+1 on the find a place to rent them both.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The beretta does have less muzzle flip due to it having a crap ton (science) of non moving weight and very little moving weight with its exposed barrel slide.

Also you might really want to try those guns because they are extremely different in like every way possible. Ones DA/SA one Striker. Ones locking block ones got a weird fixed barrel kind of action. One has a lifetime warranty one has a year long warranty. One is polymer one is metal frame.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have a XDM 9mm 4.5 and I shoot it much. Better than I did the M-9 in the military. They are so different. I like my XDm better.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The SA XD9 is a more comfortable gun to "grip" than the Beretta. I never found the 9mm round to have heavy recoil anyway. I feel the SA is more accurate than the Beretta. The Beretta has an open slide which can't be "accurized" too easily. You'll like the SA better.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The SA XD9 is a more comfortable gun to "grip" than the Beretta. I never found the 9mm round to have heavy recoil anyway. I feel the SA is more accurate than the Beretta. The Beretta has an open slide which can't be "accurized" too easily. You'll like the SA better.
Objection subjective.

Pick the one you can shoot the best or the one that makes you the happiest.

I used to work at a range and we had a M9A1 and a XDM 4.5 9mm in our rental cabinet the XDM had close to 40,000 rounds through it in the year we had it with out changing anything just the occasional cleaning. The M9A1 broke the weird barrel lug thing broke it right down the middle. It had around 25,000 rounds when we sold it and 18-20 when the barrel broke. Luckily it was within the year that Beretta warranties it.

This is in no way any scientific test but just free worthless info.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
What gun would you guys recommend
^ TCS_XDM's advice is right-on.

Go out there and rent some different ones - shoot them and see what you like.

Alternatively, take a class that's designed to be for novices. Many such classes offer a range of different firearms for their students to try.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a XDM 9mm 4.5 and I shoot it much. Better than I did the M-9 in the military. They are so different. I like my XDm better.
I also have a 4.5 XDm 9mm - I fired the M-9 for about 20 years - I much prefer the XDm.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
What I remember of the better a ( was few years back ) was it wasn't all that different in rearward but it had a little twisting feel BUT the guy that owned it was having check it out for function before he bought it off a widow that lived across the street. It wast for comparison

1 - 20 of 20 Posts