Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so im planning on buying a XDM but i have a few questions 1st if want to be able to switch beteen all calibers (9mm 40SW 357Sig) so do i need to buy a 40 or 357. 2nd any opinions on the trigger of the XDM and last can i buy the other caliber match barrels from springfield or somewere else as asfar as i knoe EFK are not match. thanks

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Get the XDm40. Then you can get 9mm and 357 conversion barrels. I don't care for the trigger. Too much travel and too long of a reset. You can do a trigger job that I'm sure others will chime in on with their experiences. For "Match barrels", you can get Bar-Sto barrels from Springer Precision and have them fit by your gunsmith. They also have a nice trigger kit that I've been eying for mine.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Get the XDm 40SW. 357SIG good for range or SD as reliability same as 40SW. XDm does not come stock in 357SIG, only the XD series. In XD you could strat with either cal as the outer barrel dimensions of the stock barrels are the same. 9mm need conversion barrel and dedicated mags, lighter recoil spring for best range reliability.
Do you shoot well enough to need the difference between match and a drop-in barrel? Probably 95% of shooters do not group well enough to find a difference (include me). If you can outshoot your barrel accuracy, you could also get a reasonable priced Storm Lake oversized barrel from Pistol Gear (their house brand) and have it fitted. True match grade chamber tolerances are too tight for reliable feeding with some normal commercial ammo. You will need to be very ammo selective. The slide to rail fit of the XD/XDm pistols is geared to reliability and are not target tight either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and welcome snowblazer2 and thumperIII I usually can keep group in about a 1.5-2.5 inch circle at 30yards with my 1911 hoever i did fust get a sig p226 and Im lucky to keep it in a 5in group at 30yards with it. so I dont know if ill notice the difference or not i just thought id like to try a match barrel to see if i do better with it. and thanks to you as well

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Thanks for the info and welcome snowblazer2 and thumperIII I usually can keep group in about a 1.5-2.5 inch circle at 30yards with my 1911 hoever i did fust get a sig p226 and Im lucky to keep it in a 5in group at 30yards with it. so I dont know if ill notice the difference or not i just thought id like to try a match barrel to see if i do better with it. and thanks to you as well
I'd just buy one and run some ammo through it, then decide what you want out of it. I can almost guarantee you'll want to change the trigger before anything else. I can keep my groups inside the 10 ring easily at 25 yards with about any 1911, but the XDm barely makes 3-4" at 15 yards. I blame the trigger, but it might be because it's my first .40 caliber pistol as well. ;)

I actually have an XDm40 for sale if you're interested. Comes with the match grade barrel already. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya thats about what Ill do. And it might be the 40 making the difference im not a big fan of a 40 but i really like the 357sig i wish you could get the XDM in it off the bat, but as far as your gun for sale im traveling until around november and because the range i go to is all outdoor and back were they dont take snow off the road theres a high chance i wont even get to the range until february unfortunatly but i apreciate the offer

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
ya thats about what Ill do. And it might be the 40 making the difference im not a big fan of a 40 but i really like the 357sig i wish you could get the XDM in it off the bat, but as far as your gun for sale im traveling until around november and because the range i go to is all outdoor and back were they dont take snow off the road theres a high chance i wont even get to the range until february unfortunatly but i apreciate the offer

No worries man, just thought I'd offer. I'll probably end up keeping it anyways. :cool:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Alright, so im planning on buying a XDM but i have a few questions 1st if want to be able to switch beteen all calibers (9mm 40SW 357Sig) so do i need to buy a 40 or 357. 2nd any opinions on the trigger of the XDM and last can i buy the other caliber match barrels from springfield or somewere else as asfar as i knoe EFK are not match. thanks
From the EFK web site:All of our Pistol Barrels are National Match.

don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts