Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has agreed to let me get a full sized handgun for my birthday. Now I currently carry and XDsc 40 and conceal it well. I love how my sc feels and shoots and this naturally makes me lean towards an xdm 4.5 in 40 (as this is what I am currently reloading). My father in law would like to see me get something else due to how thick and heavy the xdm is. He is trying to talk me into an M&P or a taurus 24/7 OSS. Now to add to this conundrum I am trying to get into the police academy in my area next fall and this will likely also be what I use in the academy, as we must provide our own. I would like to hear some of the sage wisdom of some of my fellow xdtalk members on this topic. So let her rip!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know a lot of police officers who chose to carry the .40 4" or 4.5" service models... I have asked them about the Taurus and none of them thought the Taurus was a good idea!

·
Banned
0 Posts
There is the darkside.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Just for fun, I would welcome the gasps and 'Oh NO'es" around the room as you pulled a nice 1911 out of a tooled holster.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I don't see the Taurus as an option, nowhere near the quality.

XDM is a good choice, lots of other good choices, but a Taurus ain't one of them.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
My brother had a Taurus 24/7 .40 and I absolutely hated that gun. I was actually kinda glad when he told me he had blown it up with some hot reloads by another family member. He sold it and used the money to buy a M&P .40 service model. It is a nice shooting gun but I don't like the massive safety levers on it. But that is due to my experience with the XDsc and XDs that are my current carry guns.

The M&P is cheaper than the XDm but get what feels best in your hands and also what you shoot best. For some people on here (1LL, Carl, DevJames, and a few others that I can't think of right now ) that would be the dark side known as Glock. .. :)

Glock, M&P, XDm are all good pistols and designed for duty carry. All three have good aftermarket support for holsters and accessories with Glock having the most (Glock Perfection...:lol: )

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I have an XDm 4.5 in .40 and don't find it to be particularly heavy. Especially not if carried in a duty rig. The police academy you're aspiring to attend may have certain criteria you'll have to meet with your weapon. They may even have a list of departmentally approved sidearms so don't go buying that high-dollar 1911 just yet because more than likely its not gonna be on there. Sig, Glock (feh), S&W, and Springfield Armory will probably be the major players with Ruger being an also-ran (maybe).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everybody for your responses. I have tried glocks but I dont like the feel of the glocks and don't shoot them as well. (I guess I'm just not cut out for the dark side 😉) How well does the 4.5 conceal inside the waist? I have shot both the M&P and the xdm recently and shot both well, but liked the feel of the xdm better. Does anybody have experience carrying both?

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
The full sized (4"+) XD line conceals as well as any other big gun....none of which would be my first choice for cc during the summer. You already have a compact version for that so its a non-issue, really. The right holster and belt are what determines concealability, those things along with your clothing choices. My 4.5" XDm disappears under a light sport coat in a High Ride belt slide OWB from Tennessee Holster Co (thanks, Larry) . It puts the butt of the gun up very high into my kidney area when worn at 4:00. The muzzle would show in certain circumstances if I wore a shorter jacket so those days I'll use an IWB rig (for my Sig P220) from Wild Bill's (thanks, Bill). I don't currently own a suitable IWB rig for my XDm so I'm shopping around some of the sponsers here for a hybrid. The M&P line are equally concealable within the same parameters, ie: different sizes for different carry options.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
You mentioned that you're entering the academy. Take a long, hard look at a G19. Chances are better than not that whatever department you end up serving in will have Glocks as the standard department issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is gonna get me stoned by the locals here, but I have a Taurus PT911 and think it's an outstanding firearm. Goes with me to the range without fail and has never given me any problems. I don't reload, so I'm just shooting standard pressure rounds. It sits by my bed at night and I it'd be my EDC except that it's just a tad to large.

Don't know why everyone here bashes Taurus.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I've had several good Tauri over the years. I'd buy another Model 85 or PT99 in a minute. I just don't talk about em here much anymore because I'm not interested in converting anyone or trying to change thier minds.

That said, I've never owned or even shot any of the newer generation of Taurus autoloaders like the Millennium, 24/7, or your 1911, so the bashers may or may not have a point there...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have the XDM 4.5 in 45ACP and it's been totally reliable over several thousand rounds. A good half of those rounds have been my hard cast lead semi-wadcutter reloads and the gun has been run hard through a training class. No regrets here. I'm sure the 40 caliber version would be every bit as solid.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Don't know why everyone here bashes Taurus.
It's the lemon factor. Yes, there's a lot of stories out there like yours, but a lot of horror stories too. Taurus has had big issues with their frames related to the quality of the steel they were using. They earned themselves a bad reputation by trying to cut corners to make a buck, and in the firearms industry it's hard to recover from something like that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts