Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be a first time handgun owner. I've narrowed my choices to Springfield XDM or Glock. Haven't shot either and I'm looking for advise as to which to buy. Also 9mm or 40S&W. The gun is mostly going to be used for target and recreational shooting, once in a while I might carry it. Locally 9 ammo is about $5.00 a box cheaper than 40.

Thank you
Lonnie

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Find a local gun range that has rentals available and shoot each, both in 9mm and 40 caliber. Then chose the gun that you shoot best with. I went through a month long process of test shooting a variety of pistols and chose the XDm because I shot best with the XD40. Which seems a bit odd because the Smith & Wesson M&P felt best in my hand but for some reason that didn't translate to the range. Most likely it was a trigger position issue, the trigger placement on the XD probably fits my hand better than on the M&P. When I compared the 2 side by side, my groups were 1/2 to 1 inch tigher with the XD.

Now, I did take a chance on getting the XDm instead of the XD40. Unfortunately, my local range didn't have any XDm's available for rental. However, with the standard backstrap the XDm is supposed to match the grip of the XD40 so it wasn't that great a risk. What I can say is that now that I have run 300 rounds through the XDm, I am shooting better and better. I finished up last Saturday by putting 13 out of 15 rounds into a 3 inch circle at 40 feet with only 2 flyers. Which aint bad for someone who hadn't shot a handgun in nearly 35 years.

As for why I chose the handgun that I shot best with, it's pretty simple. What it means is that the ergonomics of the gun fit your natural grip. So it will point better and permit you to shoot without having to adapt your body to a gun that doesn't fit well. This also means that in a defensive shooting situation you'll be more likely to hit your target well without having to take the time to use the sights.

BTW, guns that I tried out were as follows. First was a Glock 19, did not shoot at all well with it. Second was a Walther P99, shot well with it in singla action but the trigger pull in DA was so heavy that I couldn't hit an 8 inch target repeatedly at 20 feet. Since the first round after a magazine change is always DA on the P99 I passed on it. Third up was an XD9, which I shot very well with. Fourth up was a Smith & Wesson M&P in 40 caliber, which I shot OK with but the grouping wasn't as tight as the XD9. Next up was my CPL class and range certification, where I shot with a rented XD40 and shot very well with. The next weekend after that I did a side by side test of the XD40 against the S & W M&P 40, where the XD was obviously better in my hands.

PS, I really didn't notice much difference in recoil between the 9mm and the 40 caliber. There is a slight cost difference but with range ammo from wallyworld the difference is slight enough that brown bagging lunch 1 day a week will make up for that difference. I like the extra stopping power of the 40, If SA was offering the XDm in 45 ACP that would have been my first choice. Maybe someday when they do offer one, I'll get one in Bi-tone.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I agree, only for me it was the Glock .40. I also found that the Glock 23 fit MY trigger pull better than the Glock 22!. The Glock 27 is different too. (all are .40)
You've looked at what you like best. Now, of those, see what likes you the best. Try em out!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
PS I must say I like the .40 round better for other reasons. Penetration of car tires, windshields ect. have been a problem for the 9mm in the past.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Good advice so far. Try 'em out. I put about 400 rounds through my buddy's Glock 22 (40cal) It was fine, and fun to shoot. For me the Glock was not a natural pointer. I've been told to point a gun with your eyes closed and then open your eyes and check sight alignment. For me I was looking at the top of the slide everytime with the Glock. With the XD right down the sights everytime. I also wanted a 45 and the Glock 21 was just to much for my "smallish" hands. XD fit perfectly plus I fell in love with 1911's early on in my shooting life and the XD's similarities appealed to me. That's all my opinion and why I chose the XD. You of course will have to make your own descion I have not been one bit dissapointed, and I love my XD!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yup, can't argue with all that logic. Try em all and get the one you're most comfortable with and perform the best with.

I owned a Glock 26 9mm and couldn't hit the barn with it. Sold it for a song and haven't gone near a Glock since. Not wild about the 9mm round either. If all you're doing is range stuff though it's probably the best choice. Hope the Glock works better for you. :oops:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lbz,

This is my first handgun too. I chose the 40, but I bought it before the 9 was released. Talked to a lot of people I work with and they all thought getting the 40 would be better (since I was also contemplating a 9mm Glock). I also liked the idea of using the extra "ummph" of the 40 cal round in self defense.

I'd agree with that if you're concerned over the caliber you want, then just shoot some. Even if you can't shoot the XDM, try shooting a 9mm and .40 Glock or something. At least you'll be able to compare how the different calibers feel to you when you shoot. Not considering the caliber, I chose the XDM because it seemed pretty reliable and I liked the safety features more than the Glock at the time.

Saw you were from Sunbury. Beautiful area there. I have a bunch of family in the Lewisburg area. Being in Florida now, its hard for me to get up there much anymore.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I picked the XD over the Glock because of the passive safety mechanisms, grip angle, price, and reputation to not blow up (yay for a fully supported barrel). Also, it looks a hell of a lot nicer!
In your case I would definitely recommend 9mm over 40SW since you'll be at the range a lot. Its cheaper (allowing you to shoot more) and a lot of people complain that the 40 is too snappy. The 40 is like all the price of the 45 without the ballistics to back it up. Some will argue, but I just don't see the cost/benefit there; either go with the biggest or the smallest. (within reason of course) However, you can still use 9mm JHP for carry as a well placed shot with any of these calibers is more than sufficient to kill someone.
If you want a good deal, the regular XD-9s are coming down in price with the release of the XD-M. Or you can also wait for the XDM 9mm to come out and snatch up one of those. All depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I started with the .40 because I had heard tales of it being a good balance of the 9mm and .45. In reality I found it the hardest of the three to adjust to recoil-wise. I do very well with .40 now because I've practiced, and learning on that caliber made the .45 and 9mm cake for me.

As for defense, modern 9mm hollowpoints are producing very decent results. I would trust my life to any of the 3 calibers, with quality hollowpoint ammo.

Glock vs. XD my pure and simple choice was grip angle. I adapted to the XD's grip better. I respect Glock as a great pistol, tough as nails, but for me XD fit better, and is about the only thing on the market that comes close to Glock reliability.

·
Registered
208 Posts
XDm has Match grade barrel so if you are looking to shoot good at the range go for the XDm. The Glock is also a good gun but for me w/ small hands I shoot better w/ the XDm, and holds more rounds (.40cal) 16+1.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yup, can't argue with all that logic. Try em all and get the one you're most comfortable with and perform the best with.

I owned a Glock 26 9mm and couldn't hit the barn with it. Sold it for a song and haven't gone near a Glock since. Not wild about the 9mm round either. If all you're doing is range stuff though it's probably the best choice. Hope the Glock works better for you. :oops:
I love your avitar

Yosemite Sam has a good attitude!;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Choice is made, now if SA would release the 9 I'd be a new XDM owner.....
This area is getting worse, were getting gangs from NY moving into the here and finally Sunbury stopped allowing permits to build low income housing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems like you've made your choice already, but I was going to say that I had both in 9 and 40. I prefer the 40 and the xdm. Although my glock 23 is my carry gun due to the smaller profile. You'll be happy with either of those choices. Happy shooting

·
Registered
373 Posts
Keep us updated on how everything turns out. Also, have you decided between tactical, service, or compact?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts