Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at shooting IDPA. I want to either get the SA 5.25 XDm or a SA 9mm Loaded Target 1911 pistol. Is there any advantage to one over the other?

While I would like your advice and experience, I really want to stay with a Springfield pistol. My neighbor has already given me all the reasons to go Glock, but that isn't what I want.

I appreciate any insight or advice you can provide.

thanks

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
First let me say I shot a XDM for a year and a half before switching to a 1911. IMHO I would go with a 1911 9mm STI Trojan. The fit and accuracy is amazing. I would go with a 1911 over a XDM.

The reason? Well shooting a 130PF 9mm out of a all steel gun produces less muzzle flip then the XDM. Plus I think the 1911's trigger is better all around. Also the 1911 doesn't flex like a plastic gun does. If you ever get a chance to do a slow mo video on a XDM you will see the trigger guard will flex after each shot.

Don't get me wrong, I like the XDM but I found a big difference in controlled muzzle flip when shooting a 1911 that is setup right.

Watch 6:47 of my review video to see how flat it shoots

There is no issue on on capacity. ESP is 10+1.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I have both an XDm and a 1911 that I shoot in IDPA. Like VR4, I find the 1911 to have a softer feeling with the same ammunition - there is a lot less muzzle flip on the 1911. The 1911 does require more care and cleaning. The tighter tolerances can result in issues if the 1911 is allowed to get dry or dirty.

·
Registered
921 Posts
9mm 1911 i prolly the best IDPA gun imho. I can do so much more with it than i could with my XD or my USP. Plus lets be honest, you cant beat a good 1911 trigger.
One pus with the 1911 for me is that if i just get 10rnd mags, i dont have to do any counting to get division capacity, just load em to full and be done with it. No counting rounds to make sure i only have 10 in a 15 round mag. I took a penalty for that once.......was quite pissed at myself.

I cant shoot the 5.25, I shoot thumbs forward and my left thumb rest right on top of the extended slide stop that the 5.25 has, so the slide never locks back.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Shot the Tx State IDPA yesterday and there were a lot of guys running the new 5.25 XDm. Lots of 9mm's running in ESP as well. I would think you would need to try each to figure out what is right for you. I ran an XDm40 (downloaded to 140 PF) for a while in ESP but switched to STI Spartan 9mm. Absolutely love that gun. Seems to me that running 9 rd mags puts me at 10 rds at start and on most stages works to a slight advantage on that 1st reload. Reloading on even numbers just makes more sense to me. If the mag capacity is a big issue you can run 10 mags and you are even with the plastic guns starting with 10+1. Just something to think about. Good luck with your decision; don't think you can go wrong with either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts