Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is what happened when i went to order an XDM.

So I went and did all my homework and got prices from different places and went to the store that had a good reputation and one of the lowest prices.

When i get there i ask to see an XDM (not the first time i have held one but i just wanted to) so the guy looks and looks and they are sold clean out. No biggy then i tell them i wanted to order one in OD green and stainless in 40 sw. They start looking on the computer and say there are a ton of different greens and that they have none in stock.

So I dont know what to do and im looking down and there it is, a Kimber stainless 2 1911, its used and i ask to see it. He tells me the guy who owned it practically never shot it and had the black grips changed to charie with a knurl on it, It looks sweet and there asking 600 for it, It only comes with one clip but is 4.5 or 5" 45acp. So i put it on lay away and if i change my mind i can switch to the xdm.

What would you do and is this a deal, I plan on owning an XDM but i have always loved the 1911 in stainless and 45.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
I have two 1911s (Colt 1911A1 MK IV Series 80 in blue and Taurus PT1911 AR in SS) and I've been shopping for an XDm .40S&W as a big brother to my XD9 bi-tone.

If I were in your shoes, and had a chance to grab a gently-used Kimber 1911 in SS, in great shape for $600, I'd crawl naked over broken glass to do so... there will always be new XDms at the local gun shop.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Not sure exactly which model you're referring to (since there's soooo many), but based on your brief description, I think you mean this one:

Kimber - Continuing The Legacy

If it is, you need to slap the six hundo down with a big ol' smile, grab that Kimmy and run ;) !

***Just FYI, all Kimbers only come with one magazine, standard.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I own an xd40 sub & an XDm40 - and I have shot a couple of Kimbers. If you have the chance to purchase a Kimber at that price you should do it.
Then save some extra cash & go get your XDm. They are both top quality hand guns but in my opinion they are in somewhat different leagues when it comes to off the shelf handguns & pricing. I really enjoy my Springfields but if I found a Kimber deal like that I would probably make a move on it.
Oh well -- my .02 cents

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Not to be the party pooper but I had a Kimber CDP......had to send it back to Kimber twice for failing to eject.....I'm sure if I picked up another Kimber I wouldn't have any problems at all...mine was just made on a friday at closing time and it's put me off of Kimbers for a while.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

I had not done the home work on kimbers but i figured that it was a good deal based on my limited knowledge of them.

I asked the guy how log it had been on the shelf and he said a total of 3 hours so i didn't know if it would last.

now come next Tues when i turn 21 i just have to get the purchase permit and run down there.
oh and TRMN8R thats the one.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
A shop around here has a stainless pro carry II (i think) used. I was just sitting here debating going to try it out this afternoon. the previous owner only had it a few weeks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's a very good price.... If you don't mind carrying a large defensive handgun, then go for it. I love my Custom II and it gets carried CC or OC as much, if not more, than my 9mm.

You can expect it to weigh right at 3-pounds, cocked and locked.

Enjoy,

Walker

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am with everyone else: I recommend getting the Kimber. That's a great price for a Stainless Custom II. Did it have the target sights? If so the deal is even better. Just don't forget to buy the XDM down the road.;-)

Not to be the party pooper but I had a Kimber CDP......had to send it back to Kimber twice for failing to eject.....I'm sure if I picked up another Kimber I wouldn't have any problems at all...mine was just made on a friday at closing time and it's put me off of Kimbers for a while.
Cooks, what model CDP did you have? The only problem that I've had with mine was the occasional failure to feed. This is due to the angle of the feed ramp. It feeds my carry ammo reliably so I'm not too concerned about it. If I could do it again, I would probably get the Compact CDP and not the Ultra.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am with everyone else: I recommend getting the Kimber. That's a great price for a Stainless Custom II. Did it have the target sights? If so the deal is even better. Just don't forget to buy the XDM down the road.;-)

Cooks, what model CDP did you have? The only problem that I've had with mine was the occasional failure to feed. This is due to the angle of the feed ramp. It feeds my carry ammo reliably so I'm not too concerned about it. If I could do it again, I would probably get the Compact CDP and not the Ultra.
The sights were just plain black sights not the adjustable ones. That was the one thing that i didn't like about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
and don't worry about 1911 mags, plentiful supply out there
I talked to a guy that shoots in competitions and has TONS of experience, he said he dosnt like them because of a weak cast slide barrel and frame, he said that they were pretty much junk and that a Springfield model 1911 would be a better buy. Also that he has seen barrels explode and frames crack from poor quality material. And basically they are Filipino junk.

I dont know what to think I was 100 percent sold until talking to him.

I hate to keep coming back and asking more questions in a forum that it dosnt belong, but you guys are for the most part impartial.

And does the SA 1911 have a forged barrel?

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
It only comes with one clip
It only comes with a clip? No magazines? I wouldn't do it man. They should at least throw one magazine in. Clips aren't really gonna do you any good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It only comes with a clip? No magazines? I wouldn't do it man. They should at least throw one magazine in. Clips aren't really gonna do you any good.
oh you got me good. lol sorry about that
I have only read people getting beat up for that mistake a million times... then i go and do it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I talked to a guy that shoots in competitions and has TONS of experience, he said he dosnt like them because of a weak cast slide barrel and frame, he said that they were pretty much junk and that a Springfield model 1911 would be a better buy. Also that he has seen barrels explode and frames crack from poor quality material. And basically they are Filipino junk.

I dont know what to think I was 100 percent sold until talking to him.

I hate to keep coming back and asking more questions in a forum that it dosnt belong, but you guys are for the most part impartial.

And does the SA 1911 have a forged barrel?
The more people that you talk to, the more opinions you will get.
As for Kimbers being Filipino junk, I thought they were made in Yonkers, NY.:confused: The STI Spartan, however, is manufactured at least partially in the Philippines. Actually I read a good review of the spartan in a magazine a couple months ago. It said they were a killer deal, but I haven't shot one so it's hard for me to recommend it.

The biggest complaint with Kimber pistols seems to be their customer service. Some people have good experiences, others do not. Kimber's customer service doesn't seem to be top notch like Springfield's, but I luckily haven't needed to deal with them, so I'm just going on what I read. You can check it out for yourself. The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Kimber

Also the series II safety (Schwartz system) is redundant and unnecessary if you ask me. Most shooters will never even know it's there, and frankly don't care.

Maybe I got lucky, but my experience with Kimber has been a good one. My Custom Target II has been a great shooter from day 1 and I absolutely trust it.

The SA 1911 does have a forged barrel, slide, and frame.

I don't want to trash SA on what is essentially a SA forum, but I absolutely prefer Kimbers to Springfield 1911's. My buddy bought a GI.45 model last summer and I wasn't impressed. The fit and finish of it didn't compare to the Kimber IMO, I was actually disappointed. YMMV! Maybe Springfield's higher end 1911's (Loaded 1911 or Operator, custom shop pistols) are different, but I haven't seen them up close. I think that they used to make a long slide that I thought was pretty darn cool, but I haven't seen them around lately.

I have never heard of a steel framed Kimber 1911 that has cracked. Perhaps what your friend was referring to were the aluminum alloy framed Kimbers like the CDP series. IIRC, these have been extensively tested, and for the amount of rounds that the average shooter puts through the guns, there is no real difference between aluminum alloy frames and steel - durability wise. One issue with these frames is they tend to get nicked up inside of the mag well under the feed ramp by the steel magazine followers, and for this reason they are commonly changed out with Wilson follower/spring kits. This is a non-issue with the Stainless one you were looking at.

Again, Your Mileage May Vary, but that's just my 2 cents. I don't work for Kimber or anything, I'm just a satisfied customer. My original statement still stands, that's an awesome deal! I say get the Kimber, and don't forget to get the XDM down the road.8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ref. Kimber service; IMO Kimber is much like Michelin, they both make really good products. When they, once in a while, make a bad one they don't know how act. Once they realize they "did" make a bad one they will rush to make it right.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I'd go for a used Kimber, especially since they have break in requirements. The more someone else shoots it, and the less you pay, the more you're ahead.

PS: My XD (not M) just sits, while my 1911's play and have fun. I love my XD, but my grip loves the feel of a 1911.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts