Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember the XDm Minus? Before the official 13 round compact version of the XDm, the XDm Minus was the unofficial name given to XDm pistols that would have the grip length cut down to accept 16 round XD magazines. These were aftermarket modification. The grip length was cut down and since the back strap roll pin was below the cut, the back strap was epoxied in place. The original intent of this aftermarket modification was to reduce the grip length a little bit so that the gun could be a little more concealable. I don't what happened at Springfield but it seems like they saw what people were doing to their XDm's and decided to produce the XDm 3.8 Compact. Canyon Creek Custom offered this service but they have since gone out of business. Does anyone have one of these guns or had one in the past?
Happy Shooting and Stay Safe Out There

Attachments

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
Never heard of it. I have seen people and gunsmiths perform a "grip chop" on full-sized Ms to make it more packable.

For what it's worth, I've reversed the slides on my 3.8 compact with my 4.5" and they both functioned to the best of my knowledge (no live fire). The long slide on the compact frame looks kinda cool. The other way around looks kinda derp.

Reactions: DirtyShirt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting because Springfield makes an XDm with a full sized frame and the 3.8" barrel. I don't think they offer it anymore but their website said that this gun is the same weight(28oz) as the 4.5" version so I don't know what the purpose of this version is.

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
That's interesting because Springfield makes an XDm with a full sized frame and the 3.8" barrel. I don't think they offer it anymore but their website said that this gun is the same weight(28oz) as the 4.5" version so I don't know what the purpose of this version is.
Because they've never carried a gun before and don't know that it's the length of the grip that makes concealment a challenge, not the length of the barrel.

I believe that one is just called the XDM 3.8. The one I have with the compact frame is the XDM 3.8c. When I put the short upper on my 4.5 I essentially made an XDM 3.8... an odd looking critter.

Reactions: DirtyShirt

·
Registered
337 Posts
Because they've never carried a gun before and don't know that it's the length of the grip that makes concealment a challenge, not the length of the barrel.

I believe that one is just called the XDM 3.8. The one I have with the compact frame is the XDM 3.8c. When I put the short upper on my 4.5 I essentially made an XDM 3.8... an odd looking critter.
I agree with your model nomenclature. 3.8 was full grip, 3.8c was compact.

The 3.8 is more geared towards duty, beating the 19x/G45 to market but wasn’t cool (to the masses) until Glock came out with it. Clears holster marginally faster, more comfortable sitting down (in a vehicle, etc) full grip for accuracy, recoil control, and full round count.

For open carry it would definitely be a nice option to have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with your model nomenclature. 3.8 was full grip, 3.8c was compact.

The 3.8 is more geared towards duty, beating the 19x/G45 to market but wasn’t cool (to the masses) until Glock came out with it. Clears holster marginally faster, more comfortable sitting down (in a vehicle, etc) full grip for accuracy, recoil control, and full round count.

For open carry it would definitely be a nice option to have.
All stuff I never considered but makes sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts