Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking for quite some time, and this is my first post on the forum.

I am going to be purchasing an XDM .45acp tomorrow, and I have been wondering about the carry capacity of the gun. My current EDC (until I get my XDm anyway) is a full size Beretta PX4 9mm (my first SA handgun), and I have heard that it is unwise to carry a full mag +1 in the chamber because it can wear out mag springs quicker to have the added tension of the mag follower pressing down on the top round in the magazine. I was reading a post tonight on the forum that stated that the XDM is built with added space to prevent that added tension on the magazine spring. Is this true? I am already excited about getting my new XDM, but the idea of safely carrying the gun 13+1 without fear of wearing out the spring prematurely is truly AWESOME!! :rolleyes: It's those little things that make a difference.....

Regards,
Cameron

·
Registered
921 Posts
Springs do not lose tension by leaving them loaded. Springs loose tension by constantly loading and uloading the spring. So carry +1 without fear.

Welcome to the forum btw

·
Registered
538 Posts
Warlord is correct. The comparison I have heard is "well, if that were so, you would need to elevate your car on stands every night to prevent your suspension from wearing out".

Just make sure you add your +1 correctly! Load your mag, chamber a round, release mag, and refill.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I always just keep full magazines and chamber the first round. I have an XDm .40 so that gives me 16 instead of 16+1. I'm pretty comfortable with that, and then I don't have an extra stray round when I'm not carrying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Didn't I hear once that carrying a firearm without one in the chamber is carrying an unloaded firearm?

I carry fully loaded, but a good holster, fully covered trigger guard is the extra safety barrier I throw in there.

Jonathan

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always just keep full magazines and chamber the first round. I have an XDm .40 so that gives me 16 instead of 16+1. I'm pretty comfortable with that, and then I don't have an extra stray round when I'm not carrying.
This is what I currently do with my PX4, and I will most likely carry this way with my XDm. I had just heard that the added tension from the follower pushing on an already full mag put more tension on the spring than it was designed to handle for extended periods of time. Hmmm...I'll have to think this over. The comment about the car suspension comparison got me thinking that I'm worrying over nothing. Thanks for the input everyone!

P.S.: Why would you have to worry about a stray round? Unless I am cleaning the gun, I always keep one in the chamber. I wouldn't call the round in the chamber a "stray." Maybe I misunderstood you. I'm not trying to be an a## and I don't want to get into the whole argument over safety and chambered rounds, just seeking clarification.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
This is what I currently do with my PX4, and I will most likely carry this way with my XDm. I had just heard that the added tension from the follower pushing on an already full mag put more tension on the spring than it was designed to handle for extended periods of time. Hmmm...I'll have to think this over. The comment about the car suspension comparison got me thinking that I'm worrying over nothing. Thanks for the input everyone!

P.S.: Why would you have to worry about a stray round? Unless I am cleaning the gun, I always keep one in the chamber. I wouldn't call the round in the chamber a "stray." Maybe I misunderstood you. I'm not trying to be an a## and I don't want to get into the whole argument over safety and chambered rounds, just seeking clarification.

Thanks again everyone!

I think he means when he has the gun unloaded, he can take the round from the chamber and put it in the magazine rather than having a loose round in his shooting bag, or sitting on the gun bench, or wherever.

I don't do it that way, but it makes sense. I'm always chasing that +1.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think he means when he has the gun unloaded, he can take the round from the chamber and put it in the magazine rather than having a loose round in his shooting bag, or sitting on the gun bench, or wherever.

I don't do it that way, but it makes sense. I'm always chasing that +1.
That's exactly what I mean, sorry if I was vague before. I keep three full magazines and when I carry I chamber the first. When I take the gun off, I unload the chamber, top off the magazine with that round, and have 3 full mags again. I do not have a round chambered when it is on my bedside or in my safe. I'm just not comfortable with it. It's only chambered when it's on me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just make sure you add your +1 correctly! Load your mag, chamber a round, release mag, and refill.
What is the reasoning behind adding the plus one this way? I've always load it the same way I load my shotgun --place a round in the chamber, release the slide, insert magazine (or insert more rounds in the case of the shotgun).

What is the potential problem with doing it this way?

·
Registered
67 Posts
It puts undue stress and wear on the extractor when you chamber a round and let the slide close on it.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
It puts undue stress and wear on the extractor when you chamber a round and let the slide close on it.
Correct !!!

Load it the way the designer intended.

Insert magazine, rack gun to load a round, release magazine and top it off, then reinsert magazine, and hope you never need all those rounds, but have comfort in an additional round being available, and an extractor that hasn't been abused.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How? Assuming I got this right.

Inserting a magazine, loading a round. Ejecting a magazine and topping it off is hard on the ejector?

How is this so?

Jonathan

·
Registered
5,689 Posts

Inserting a magazine, loading a round. Ejecting a magazine and topping it off is hard on the ejector?

How is this so?

Jonathan
no, your sequence is fine. Previous posts were talking about sticking a round directly in chamber with fingers, then dropping slide on the round - that can hurt ejector because it is forced over the rim of round.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

How is this so?

Jonathan
No. Slide locked back, manualy insert round into chamber, drop slide, that is bad for the extractor not the ejector.

Loading from the mag is the proper way.

don

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK, thanx!

I was re-reading on a few of the posts and was REALLY curious! After doing a full takedown and understanding the firearm, I was perplexed.

Glad ya'll cleared that one up for me!

Jonathan

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Oh well nuts, I suppose I'll be the arse this time:

Found this as well, struck me as amusing:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts