Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new XDm owner, first post!

The specs on Springfield's website say that the 4.5 inch XDm weighs 32 oz. I just brought mine home today and weighed it. Without a magazine it weighs in at 25.1 oz. That seems like kind of a big discrepancy. Any idea why? Also I picked up the OD Green with Stainless Steel slide, and noticed that Springfield doesn't even list that as an option on their website. Anyone come across any other specs that don't match up with what they list online?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The Springfield says 32oz "with empty mag", not "without mag" so I am guessing the mag weighs about 7oz.
Welcome aboard. Go introduce yourself in the new member area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

Just checked, an empty mag weighs exactly 3 oz, and a fully loaded mag (19 rounds of 115gr FMJ) weighs 10.9 oz.

So they could have listed 25 oz., 28 oz., or even 36 oz. and I suppose all would have been correct, but 32 oz.? Not a big deal, actually pleasently surpised, just curious what other listed stats might be wrong too :)

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Interesting info thus far.

I prefer light, but shoot a heavy gun (within reason) better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For comparison, the Glock 17, which I was considering before deciding to go with the XDm, weighs 22 oz. empty and 32 oz. loaded. My Beretta 92FS weighs 32 oz. empty so when I saw the online specs for the XDm, while it seemed odd that it would be that heavy and polymer, I was already prepared for the weight. Now I'm pleasently surprised that fully loaded with 19 rounds it is about 6 oz. lighter than my Beretta fully loaded with 15.

·
Registered
506 Posts
For comparison, the Glock 17, which I was considering before deciding to go with the XDm, weighs 22 oz. empty and 32 oz. loaded. My Beretta 92FS weighs 32 oz. empty so when I saw the online specs for the XDm, while it seemed odd that it would be that heavy and polymer, I was already prepared for the weight. Now I'm pleasently surprised that fully loaded with 19 rounds it is about 6 oz. lighter than my Beretta fully loaded with 15.
Thank you for posting this info, for those of us, that dont have a postal scale. Maybe i will start carrying the XDM, now that i know its not much heavier than a Glock 17.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Anytime I read about a home scale that is not giving the same answer as a factory spec, my 6 sigma quality background kicks up a flag to check the scale for accuracy!

That's where a good many discrepancies are to be found.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
My XDM 5.25 weight 28.8 oz with and empty magazine, which is the same as the XDM 4.5 with an empty magazine, so it looks like they are weighing it with 2 extra magazines :shock:

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Or is it the gun, mag and the holster?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anytime I read about a home scale that is not giving the same answer as a factory spec, my 6 sigma quality background kicks up a flag to check the scale for accuracy!

That's where a good many discrepancies are to be found.
Come on, really? You think my "home scale" would be off by half a pound? This is a digital scale that is meant to measure accurately to within 1 gram. I'm not talking about my bathroom scale here. Besides, this isn't the only spec they have wrong on their website. They also fail to mention that the 4.5 inch XDm is available in OD green with Stainless Steel slide, yet that's what I own.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brought home my XDm 9mm Compact today. I got the black on black. Figured I'd weigh it to see how accurate the Springfield website is. They were a lot more accurate on this one.

They claim on their website:
Weight w/ empty mag: 28oz / 29oz w/X-Tension™

What I found:
Weight w/ empty mag: 27.3 oz / 28.4 oz w/X-Tension™

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 88-year-old mentor advises not to fire XDMc 9mm on range -- it will shorten its "life expectancy." He advises (strongly) that carry gun is for carry and range gun for targets.

Does anyone recall what Springfield Armory indicates as the number of rounds (trigger pulls) one reasonably can look forward to before "non-dependability" of weapon?

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
My 88-year-old mentor advises not to fire XDMc 9mm on range -- it will shorten its "life expectancy." He advises (strongly) that carry gun is for carry and range gun for targets.

Does anyone recall what Springfield Armory indicates as the number of rounds (trigger pulls) one reasonably can look forward to before "non-dependability" of weapon?
Some people have over 25,000 rounds through their guns and they still run strong. Simply said, your mentor is wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Come on, really? You think my "home scale" would be off by half a pound? This is a digital scale that is meant to measure accurately to within 1 gram. I'm not talking about my bathroom scale here. Besides, this isn't the only spec they have wrong on their website. They also fail to mention that the 4.5 inch XDm is available in OD green with Stainless Steel slide, yet that's what I own.
They have a lot of custom finishes that aren't shown on the main page:

Springfield Armory

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Maybe SA's website people have the gun store employee philosophy that if you don't know an answer or don't have the information, just make something up.

You could start a new thread for this question which relates in no way to anything else posted on this thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts