Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time and have leaned plenty. I have had XD's for several years now and just recently acquired an XDm. I started working for the Sheriff's office a few years ago and at that time the XD wasn't an authorized weapon. That recently changed and I decided the XDm would replace my SIG P229. Nothing wrong with the SIG, but the XD just feels better in my hand and has a rail for a light.
I put several hundred rounds through it before qualifying at the Sheriff's range with absolutely no issues.
The Sheriffs office used Remington factory reloads for training and qualifying and on qualifying day, I experienced a couple of failures to feed. I was not limp wristing and the failure appeared to be due to the slide not going back far enough to push the round into the chamber. I simply racked the slide and it went in with no issues and I ended up getting a perfect score.
My question is: Has anyone else experienced this type of mis feed? I've not have any issues with the factory reloads on my SIG, but being that this is a duty gun, I guess I'm just looking for another opinion.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have only experienced failures to feed in my XDm due to two things. First, I was reloading using lead SWC's. The XDm didn't like those at all, then I actually had them fail to feed in every one of my .40s including a S&W 4006.

The other time I had an issue with a FTF in my XDm is when I was trying out some loads and I had them loaded too light and they wouldn't cycle the slide far enough. I didn't chrony those either and they may not have even passed a min power factor for IDPA. I was only testing them for function at that time as I didn't have a chrony.

Besides those two times, I have put literally thousands of rounds through my "M" with no problems at all. Maybe the factory reloads are not consistant and/or are under charged. I don't know and am just throwing one over the wall here.

- Kyle

·
Registered
254 Posts
P6725> Can you explain the failure better? Is the issue a nose dive where the bullet is getting caught on the feed ramp? Or is the bullet feeding fine into the chamber but the back end of the case isn't coming up and engaging with the extractor correctly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
was the ammo clean or was it sitting for a while with any dust or corrison build up on it? i had some 9mm one time that had some build up on it and it would not feed all the way in to battery,it had some stuff on the case rim were the bullet was pressed in at, i think some times just a little bit to much when they press the bullets in it swells the case i have seen this on some factory 45's as well i think they were lawmen or blazers cheap stuff from dicks sporting goods.i would try some different ammo and see what worked best and heck even try some good hollow points like some DPX or Rangers, since that is what you will be depending on if something goes down you know whay i mean.let us know an update on this if you can.i just ordered one of these xdm's in 40 i really like the fell it reminds me of my kimber eclipse.i really like it i guess if it is as good as what i have been hearing i will sell my glock g22 to my little brother he's been after it for a while.take care Ronnie.:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had this exact same sort of trouble. After the first 500 or so rounds (from brand new and over a couple of sessions) I ran out of my regular ammo and borrowed some Remingtons a friend of mine had. (I don't know if they were reloads or what, but it seemed as if the recoil/muzzle flip was not as strong.) The bullets were feeding-in okay ... and the first shot out of the magazine was okay. On FTF when I manually recocked, it fired okay. This happened on a half dozen shells.

I went back to Blazer Brass on my next session and no probs since.:)

One other thing I did notice ... when I cleaned my "M" after the session with the Remingtons, it was darned dirty around the ejector... much more so than normally, so I spent some extra time cleaning and lubing and like I say no problem since. I can't really pin down what my trouble was: bad ammo, poor cleaning on my part, or just breaking-in. :roll:

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ammo was clean and out of the Remington box. At the point of failure, the round was pointed up toward the chamber, but the part of the slide (breach) that should push the round forward was resting on the side of the casing, (about 1/2 way up) instead of the base of the casing as it should. I racked the slide back another 1/4" or so, and the round went into the chamber. It appeared as if the slide didn't come back far enough to pick up the round.
I suspect that some of the rounds may have been loaded a bit to lightly. I've never before seen such a jam in any other handgun.
I have only a few hundred rounds through my XDm, but it was clean and lubed and feels pretty much broken in.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Are you sure that your fingers or hand isn't rubbing on the slide while firing? If you slow down the slide by dragging your fingers or hand on it as it cycles it will have a failure like you discribed. If you feel that the loads are too light then use a weaker guide rod spring to compensate for the weaker loads.

Another thing that you can do is pull the slide back and lock it. Put in a magazine with at least 10 rounds in it. Then release the slide lock to chamber the first round. Cycle the slide again in the same maner a couple of times. Then look at the bullets for any kind of dents or scratches in on the actual bullet or the case. I would have a random misfeed some times and after doing the test above I noticed that the bullet would get smacked into the upper part of the barrel before it fully chambered. It would hit so hard that it would actually dent the head of the bullet. I then did some grinding and polishing on the feed ramp and barrel entrance to help smooth out the transistion of the bullet from the magazine lips as it gets chambered. Now it does not dent the bullet at all and feeds perfectly round after round with no problems at all. Keep in mind though that you can only feed the same bullet once in this manner as it will push the bullet back into the case. This not only changes the over all length of the bullet and thus how it feeds, but also makes the load "Hotter" when you shoot it. So only do the slide lock feed once on a round then put it aside for practice ammo the next time you go to the range.

I think that every pistol is slightly different from one another and fine tuning things like this is needed to get it to work perfectly. Also keep in mind that once you start grinding and polishing on your pistol the warranty is out the window. So if you want to retain your warranty your best option would probably be to send it back to SA for repair. But if you are like me and could care less about the warranty, dig into it and learn. If you screw something up, just order another part and keep going. In the big picture these pistols are cheap and pretty inexpensive to modify or repair if you screw something up. Fiddle with things and learn what each aspect of the action does during the cycling of the slide. Once you do that and fully understand whats going on, then troubleshooting issues is easy.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Take the slide off and run your finger along the fixed ejector post. If you feel a sharp burr at the tip, that's the cause of your failure to feed issues. Mine started doing this at about 350 rounds and after doing a bit of careful checking I found the cause.

See the following link, it will explain how to correct this.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/86195-found-cause-my-feed-problem.html

BTW, I have emailed S.A. about this issue but have not heard back from them. From examining the detail work on the fixed ejector it's obvious that there is a chamfer applied by hand on the cartridge side of the underside of the ejector post. I suspect that the tip is meant to get a similar treatment and it may be missing on some units. If so, that explains why XDm jamming issues haven't been a widely reported issue. Having spent over 25 years as a manufacturing engineer I know quite well that detailed hand finishing operations are about as unreliable as any manufacturing operation can be, when the break whistle blows 50% of the time what ever part the operater is working on goes straight into the finished goods basket despite specific instructions against this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put 50+ rounds through my XDm at the range today and even tried to limp wrist it, but it functioned perfectly. I had nearly a mag load of the Remington reloads left, but they all worked perfectly. I'm thinking that the quality of the County purchased ammo may not be top of the line, but thankfully they issue Speer Gold Dot duty ammo, which I've not even heard of any issue with.
I feel pretty good with my decision to use the XDm as a duty side arm.
Stay safe out there...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts