Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the over analytical type however, I have decided that I am going to get a 9mm and I'm going to get a Springfield. I thought I had made up my mind to get the XDm compact because I really like the fact that it can hold 13 rd mag or a 19rd mag, but part of my issues have been around price, availability. I thought about getting it at Bass Pro which so far although shown on their site has not had it (recently) in their local stores in the area. Then I finally went back to the small range where they actually had one used and I thought ok lets get this, and of course it was sold / gone already. :-(

So now at the same range, if I wanted to I could get a full size XDm 9mm used and save some money which would be great or I could just buy the new XDm compact which is what I wanted in the first place (but hoping to get my 10-15% discount at the big store by using a big store credit card) or now I am also slightly considering the XDS which has a great size to it and would be great for carry as well.

I'm taking my ccw class in 2 weeks and have taken some beginner pistol classes (although I grew up hunting / shooting) corporate policy states NO guns including carry and so that is not an option, so most of the time I would probably be home/car/range. Although I suppose there could be people that carry but I don't want to risk my job over something like that...

I have shot everything except for the single stack and see that it could be 3.3 or 4 inch barrel and for the same price the 4 inch barrel seems pretty nice... but as a friend would often point out, if a lot of the time shooting it is at the range then having a larger magazine makes it more fun to shoot. I'm ~6'3 240-250 and supposedly I could carry a larger hand gun than some, but not sure I would on a day to day basis anyway.

This takes me back to where I thought maybe the best of all worlds might be the XDm 3.8 Compact, but I can't make up my mind.

Thoughts / suggestions on making a final decision?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Compact for sure. I really like mine, took it to the range for the first time last week and I was quite pleased to say the least.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you can hide the compact, go for it. Tough in South Florida since it's sooo hot. I have the xds 45 for a majority of carry due to wardrobe.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'd go with the 3.8" compact. I bought mine through a friend who is a part time home based FFL. Cheaper, and personal service. :)

Duane

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Let me throw a monkey wrench in this. Have you considered an XD9 service or XD9sc? They just started releasing the Essentials package and you will start seeing them in the $400-450 range. Give that a big thought. They are excellent! Outside of that , i would go with the XDS9 . This won't be the last gun you buy and this gun fills a niche and still has the 9+1 full grip. They are also starting to drop in price. If you're buying an XD you can't go wrong with one of these three.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I own an XDM 4.5 9mm, XDM Compact 45 and a XD9SC.

First don't buy from Bass Pro....their prices are ridiculous. The 3 online places mentioned above are much better pricing

Get the Compact all the way. I'm thinking of adding the 3.8 Compact 9mm tomorrow

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Grabagun.com
Budsgunshot.com
Sportsmanoutdoorsuperstore.com
+1 for any of these.... Especially Sportsmans has been good for me.

I have a full size XDM.40, but that has been relegated to the home defense roll.... or when I may have a chance to open carry it in a shtf roll or something. Just too big to conceal carry for me.

With that being said, I Have the XDM compact in 9mm and absolutely love it. Conceals really easily, and as you say, with the 19 round mag, plenty of options for trying to solve problems.

Highly suggest the XDMc in 9mm.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
As mentioned get the XD compact. I have the 3.8 XDM and 3.3 xds but wished I had gotten the compact. The compact gives you the best of both worlds. I've bought several weapons of various types from those mentioned and was Very pleased with their business.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision. You can't go wrong with Springfield. I own several flocks and MP 40 the SA's are def my favorite.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Another vote for the 3.8 compact. As you can see from my avatar, I'm a big fan of flexibility. The flush mag for carrying, the full sized mag for capacity, although while I live here in Cali, the mags are blocked to 10 rounds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Living in California at times must suck. Lol and how did that prevent anything from the recent incident?

On a happier note I just picked up my brand new XDm 3.8 compact. I love the fact that it has the versatility for the two sized mags and after earlier looking at the single stack decided I wanted capacity versus slim potentially more concealable. Partially because someone almost talked me into a glock 19 and I shot one at the range and it was fine. Just like the XDm better.

Now I just need to figure out the best IWB holster.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You could also take a look at firearmholster.com they are a hybrid like crossbreed but much cheeper. I love mine. Gavin, the guy who makes them, does a really good job and had excellent customer service. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404889227.327977.jpg

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Crossbreed

Jmo......I've tried a lot and CB most comfortable for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1 Carried an xdm compact in a crossbreed supertuck for quite a while before switching my carry gun. For the xdm, you are going to be hard pressed to do better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm the over analytical type however, I have decided that I am going to get a 9mm and I'm going to get a Springfield. I thought I had made up my mind to get the XDm compact because I really like the fact that it can hold 13 rd mag or a 19rd mag, but part of my issues have been around price, availability. I thought about getting it at Bass Pro which so far although shown on their site has not had it (recently) in their local stores in the area. Then I finally went back to the small range where they actually had one used and I thought ok lets get this, and of course it was sold / gone already. :-(

So now at the same range, if I wanted to I could get a full size XDm 9mm used and save some money which would be great or I could just buy the new XDm compact which is what I wanted in the first place (but hoping to get my 10-15% discount at the big store by using a big store credit card) or now I am also slightly considering the XDS which has a great size to it and would be great for carry as well.

I'm taking my ccw class in 2 weeks and have taken some beginner pistol classes (although I grew up hunting / shooting) corporate policy states NO guns including carry and so that is not an option, so most of the time I would probably be home/car/range. Although I suppose there could be people that carry but I don't want to risk my job over something like that...

I have shot everything except for the single stack and see that it could be 3.3 or 4 inch barrel and for the same price the 4 inch barrel seems pretty nice... but as a friend would often point out, if a lot of the time shooting it is at the range then having a larger magazine makes it more fun to shoot. I'm ~6'3 240-250 and supposedly I could carry a larger hand gun than some, but not sure I would on a day to day basis anyway.

This takes me back to where I thought maybe the best of all worlds might be the XDm 3.8 Compact, but I can't make up my mind.

Thoughts / suggestions on making a final decision?
I went through the same thought process. I ended up going to a local range and renting all three and found that I loved the feel of the XDm Compact 3.8. It's the perfect size. You can have the full size grip with the 19 mag or a shorty grip with the 13 mag, or you can do what I did and buy a couple Pearce extensions and have a full size feeling grip on the 13 mag without the extra bulk. This makes it easy to carry (not as easy as the XDs) and still gives you 13 rounds.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I went through the same thought process. I ended up going to a local range and renting all three and found that I loved the feel of the XDm Compact 3.8. It's the perfect size. You can have the full size grip with the 19 mag or a shorty grip with the 13 mag, or you can do what I did and buy a couple Pearce extensions and have a full size feeling grip on the 13 mag without the extra bulk. This makes it easy to carry (not as easy as the XDs) and still gives you 13 rounds.

Agree with This.. I went with the full size XDM 3.8 9mm (Love it) but wished i had gone with the compact instead..

Either Way you will be very pleased with your choice

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I have the XDM 3.8, and carry with AlienGear IWB and Fobus paddle OWB with little problems, other than I cannot seem to decide on one over the other.
The XDM shoots well, eats any ammo, and my Glocklover instructor likes the trigger better than his collection of Glockies.
The biggest issue I have currently, is carrying one or two 19 round magazines without printing. I have Fobus and StickyHolster double carriers, all leave a large, high lump.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts