Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm in the market for my first gun and after holding a bunch in my hand and trying to absorb all the information, I do believe I'm falling for the XDM. I just wanted to get your opinions on whether this is a good choice for a first handgun. The grip felt good/secure in my hands even with the double stacked magazine which surprised me. I thought the slide was nice and smooth as well. What colors are there to pick from and how is the XDM better than the XD? I'm also considering a Smith M&P and would like your thoughts on that too. I've decided to go with 9mm. Thanks in advance for your advice and please be kind as I'm just learning this stuff. ;) ~Michelle

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
It doesn't matter the opinions of others.

Go to a range where a variety of guns in question that you like is always helpful.

I choose one that always points ( the sights line up ) every time the pistol is presented. Feels good in my hand is a must.

The colors, other than having it power coated, or duracoated which would be any color.
Most common color for the XDm is black, Stainless Steel ( bi-tone), green, or nickel plated..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I understand there are a million opinions out there, but when I get new opinions, they often bring up issues I was unaware of. Then I decide what's important to me. Being my first gun, I'm not sure what my priorities are yet. I had one dealer have me lower then lift the weapons quickly to compare sights, but I'm still not sure what I'm looking for. My husband and I are just trying to narrow down the field, then we'll go shoot my favorites and decide then. Thanks for your help!

·
21,874 Posts
If you cant rent out the guns atleast go to the store and hold them. See which fits your hands best *cough *cough 1911 *cough *cough. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got a couple of HK's and a Walther, but there is something about my XDM/9 that makes it the one I pick up most frequently.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you cant rent out the guns atleast go to the store and hold them. See which fits your hands best *cough *cough 1911 *cough *cough. ;)
Everybody says this, but as a new shooter, I have to say the 1911 was just meh to hold. Pretty much every other gun I held felt better: the Sig 229 Enhanced Elite, the S&W M&P, the HK P30, and finally, the XDm, which was what I purchased.

Which is just further support for the idea that only you can answer this question. If I had gone with prevailing opinion, I'd be unhappy with my gun and probably be thinking about selling it and maybe giving up on shooting before I'd even really started.

But do all you can to actually fire the guns you're considering before you buy. That's the true standard to measure by.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Michelle -

I'm a new shooter too and we just picked up my new XDm 3.8 Compact 9mm today. After checking out dozens of guns, it was the XDm that won me over and I kept coming back to. Overall for me it was the fit and feel in my hand and most importantly that I could comfortably operate the trigger, slide & lock and mag release. I spent the additional $25 to get the bi-tone Silver/Black model :cool:

You may have seen this before; below is a link about choosing a handgun from Kathy Jackson author of the Cornered Cat' http://corneredcat.com/firstgun/tryongun.aspx

My first handgun was the Ruger LCP, although cute as a button and totally concealable, I had difficulty racking the slide and it has a far amount of kickback. After mastering that, the XDm seems easy - lol!

Have fun with your search. After you've looked/tried everything out there, you'll know when you've found the right one :wink:

Linda

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi guys, I'm in the market for my first gun and after holding a bunch in my hand and trying to absorb all the information, I do believe I'm falling for the XDM. I just wanted to get your opinions on whether this is a good choice for a first handgun. The grip felt good/secure in my hands even with the double stacked magazine which surprised me. I thought the slide was nice and smooth as well. What colors are there to pick from and how is the XDM better than the XD? I'm also considering a Smith M&P and would like your thoughts on that too. I've decided to go with 9mm. Thanks in advance for your advice and please be kind as I'm just learning this stuff. ;) ~Michelle
I was in your boat a few weeks ago. I was trying to pick out my first handgun. Luckily I had a gun store/range by me that has about 40 different types of handguns that you can rent. Pay $10, shoot as many of them as you want! good deal.

Before shooting I had tried holding a lot of the more popular guns. XDM felt really good in my hand, I loved it before I ever shot it.... And then I shot it... And then I wanted to marry it.

I shot probably 20 different guns while deciding. I loved the way the XDM shot, loved the trigger pull. Loved everything about it. The other guns I shot had some very good qualities and I really enjoyed some of them. The XDM just stood out to me as my favorite one to shoot. Plus the other ones that I liked were $8-900, I got my XDM compact 9mm for $550 on budsgunshop.com

I didn't actually shoot a standard XD, but from what I've heard the trigger on the XDM is much better. XDM also has 3 different backstraps for the grip, so if the grip feels too fat/skinny when you hold it you can throw in a different strap and make it fit your hand better.

Like everyone else will say, it really depends on you. The xdm is a great gun, but it's really what feels best in your hand and what shoots best for you.

Whatever you get, 9mm is probably a good choice for your first gun. More manageable recoil, and more importantly cheaper ammo. You're going to want to spend a decent amount of time at the range learning to shoot, and it's definitely nice to have a gun that you can put some rounds through and not be thinking the entire time about how much money you're shooting away.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
XDm is a fine choice and I love mine...recently another gun won me over though and I would recommend you check it out before you buy...a CZ 75 SP-01 tactical (all steel) or maybe a CZ 75B.

Holding a gun is a good start to narrow down your choices but shooting it should be the deciding factor. JMHO.

Good luck & welcome!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am a new owner of the xdm 3.8c .40 cal and love it. You asked the difference between the xdm and the xd. There are several but the most important to me is the field stripping of the two. When you want to field strip the xd you must first pull the trigger. When you are field stripping the xdm you do not have to pull the trigger, and it is so easy to field strip

Choose the gun that fits you the best. If you do go with the xdm I don't think you will be sorry.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
The XDm is certainly "sexier" than the XD, and is the next logical progression in the models, but does not come in a subcompact package. My range partner has an "m" and I think the trigger is a little stiffer than both my standard XD's. "Match grade barrel" is a myth, or a marketing strategy.

I do recommend the 9mm. The .40 will eat ya out of house and home when ya started feeding it a couple hundred rounds every week. Something eles you may consider is purchasing in a .40, and getting a "conversion" 9mm barrel for it.

I have also shot enough rounds out of a Beretta PX4 Storm sc, that it has now gone to the "end of the line". Stoger Cougar compact with rotery barrel is one sweet pistol also, that not too many are familar with.

The M&P is a very good pistol, if ya want to buy American. That means something to some people. I also have a Glock 26 on it's way, and there are hords of followers for their line up too.

Either or, if ya land on an XD, your getting one of the worlds top polymere pistols for a very reasonable price. Best of luck and let us all know where ya came down, and how happy you are with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. All excellent advice from knowledgeable users. You don't see that very often on the internet! I'm glad I asked. And thank you to the female shooters for chiming in too. I see there is a lot to keep in mind. I had no idea you could buy a .40 with a 9mm conversion. I'll be sure to ask about that. I did handle a CZ and it was comfortable in my hands as the grip felt smaller. I hadn't even heard of that maker so wasn't sure what to think.

Thanks Linda for the link to corneredcat. She has a lot of good advice for a beginning shooter. I already know a lot more about what to look for in a good fit to my hand. Very good info.

I'm near Minneapolis and we've got a couple good ranges around here, so my next step is to go fire a few. Thanks again for all the good advice!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I did handle a CZ and it was comfortable in my hands as the grip felt smaller. I hadn't even heard of that maker so wasn't sure what to think.
The grip is indeed better than XDm (though that is personal preference). CZ is probably the most prolific pistol in Europe and makes one of the best 9mm (one of the original wonder 9 actually) and ranks up there with the Sig 210 and Browning Hi Power for a lot less.

As I said, try shooting it before making your decision. ;)

Check this link http://www.best9mm.com/ though it is not perfect, it is a good starting point.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Go to every gun shop in your area, rent and shoot the 9mm's they have available and decide what you like, what fits your hand and what you can shoot best.

Glock, S&W, Springfield, Beretta, Colt, Khar, Sig, etc. Full size, compact, sub.

Many more, and too numerous to mention. It 's all personal fit, performance, preference and concelement.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with the XDm for a first gun. The options to modify the grip will give you more options then with any of the other guns you are looking at. I changed my backstraps around a bit and I am now completely satisfied. Good luck with your decision, and remember, it probably won't be your last.... :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow. All excellent advice from knowledgeable users. You don't see that very often on the internet! I'm glad I asked. And thank you to the female shooters for chiming in too. I see there is a lot to keep in mind. I had no idea you could buy a .40 with a 9mm conversion. I'll be sure to ask about that. I did handle a CZ and it was comfortable in my hands as the grip felt smaller. I hadn't even heard of that maker so wasn't sure what to think.

Thanks Linda for the link to corneredcat. She has a lot of good advice for a beginning shooter. I already know a lot more about what to look for in a good fit to my hand. Very good info.

I'm near Minneapolis and we've got a couple good ranges around here, so my next step is to go fire a few. Thanks again for all the good advice!
You're going to find alot of good advice on this forum - you'll find the answer to any question you might come up with - even if you don't go with a Springfield.

I was in the same spot you were in a few months back. I ended up w/ the XDm 9 and haven't regretted that decision one bit. I thought I'd be content w/ only the one gun for awhile, but I'm not. Although I also have a gun that my husband bought a couple of years ago (a .38 snub nose that he's never shot, but I think is fun) I'm already putting money aside to buy a compact 9mm for carry. Not that I wish I had picked up the compact first - I'm happy that I'm doing it in the order I am because I like the feel of the full size. But when people comment that you won't be stopping at one, they're probably right.

I see you're located around Minneapolis - we're almost neighbors, I'm in Duluth. I lived down in your neck of the woods for 20 years, but moved back to my home area about 10 years ago. Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on what you decide on. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you are able to take the guns you want to shoot at a range that's the best way to tell if you are going to like the way the pistol shoots and handles.

·
Registered
588 Posts
In addition to fit, the operating system should be considered. As a first gun, simple might be better. The 1911 has a great trigger but is very unforgiving of sloppy handling. The CZ some recommend with it's SA/DA trigger makes learning a bit more complicated.

The Glock, M&P, and the XD/XDm series triggers are simpler to learn and a tad more forgiving. If these feel right, then shot it and you will probably land there.

You might also give some thought how you will carry it.

CX

·
Registered
29,621 Posts

I'd recommend going to Bill's in Robbinsdale (or Circle Pines).

Both locations will have both an M&P and an XD/XDm to try.

Personally, speaking as someone who has owned both...I'd go with the M&P.

·
Registered
460 Posts
of course you already know that renting is always a good idea before buying so hopefully we can beat that horse for the last time. the main difference between the xd and XDM is the grip angle, it changed just a little and makes a pretty good difference and they changed the grip texture. also the you can replace the backs of the XDM grips to make the handle bigger or smaller so it fits your hands better. the XDMs normally hold more ammo than the XDs and they use a different protective coating on the metals. they also rounded off the top edges on the XDM so its not so blocky. in my opinion the trigger isn't as nice on the M&P and is usually an acquired tastes for seasoned shooters... most new shooters don't like them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts