Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question., but it is pretty much at the end.

I recently had my older XDM fail. The trigger acted like it was not resetting (not catching the sear) and the grip safety would stick in the closed position. I took the gun completely apart (needed a good scrubbing anyway) and found that the small rear portion of the Disassembly Bar had broken off. I believe that is what was causing the issue. Either from the small broken piece lodging somewhere in the works and creating havoc or that the small end must still be in place for everything to work properly.

This disassembly bar is connect at its forward end to the take down lever. It is my understanding that when the take lever is in the vertical position, it moves the sear out of the way so that you don't have to pull the trigger to get the slide off.

I heard some custom shops when when performing a trigger job on an XDM, leave out the Disassembly Bar and its associated parts because it just creates an opportunity for a gun failure, and that it also reduces the trigger by about a quarter pound.

I have done a pretty through search and cannot not find any information on which parts may be unnecessary - that is if you are willing to field strip the gun ala Glock style (pull trigger to disengage sear). I also called Springfield and asked about it. They were pretty blunt and said they would not discuss the subject - can't blame them I guess.

Years ago I had a HS2000 and disassembled it several times. I do not remember it having this Disassembly Bar, but I could be wrong.

Since the breakage of this part (which may not be entirely necessary) caused a fatal malfunction of the gun, I am interested in leaving out the unnecessary parts. I routinely field strip Glocks and CZP10s, so pulling the trigger on an empty chamber while pointed in a safe direction is routine for me.

THE QUESTION - does anyone know or have a source that can identify exactly which other parts are associated with the Disassembly Bar and are not needed.

There are three parts I suspect are not needed, one is the bar itself, and the other two are the Disassembly Lever Spring and Disassembler (parts 52, 53 and 54 on the Numrich web page)

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated, but please don't waste your time with posts concerning tampering with safety devices, etc. I know all of that - this is a competition pistol and I am a GAM who is a fanatic about safe gun handling on or off the range - just trying to avoid a repeat of this failure.

Thanks in Advance - TEX ([email protected])

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've only ever seen where the only part left out was the disassembly lever spring. Then I understand that the trigger has to be pressed before takedown a la Gluck.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
I went to an armorer's course years gone by and recall assembling both ways and it worked both ways as described above. I don't recall the parts, sorry

I would call the mothership, they will likely set you straight and get the gun back to working as intended, then you can experiment.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you pull your slide and install a loaded mag into your frame, while holding the mag all the way in the frame does it or the top round contact the ejector? Have you ever run a mag without a sleeve (if some of your mags have sleeves)? In some pistols it is possible to wreck an ejector by slamming a mag in with an open slide, especially if there's nothing at the bottom of the mag to stop it, or if the mag has excess gap to the frame.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to an armorer's course years gone by and recall assembling both ways and it worked both ways as described above. I don't recall the parts, sorry

I would call the mothership, they will likely set you straight and get the gun back to working as intended, then you can experiment.
Thanks for the reply. I called Springfield and they really didn't want to discuss and woudl not even sell me the part because it was part of what they considered a safety system. However I was able to purchase the bar through a third party with no issue. I guess I could experiment, as you say, but the XDM is not the easiest pistol to take apart and reassemble.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you pull your slide and install a loaded mag into your frame, while holding the mag all the way in the frame does it or the top round contact the ejector? Have you ever run a mag without a sleeve (if some of your mags have sleeves)? In some pistols it is possible to wreck an ejector by slamming a mag in with an open slide, especially if there's nothing at the bottom of the mag to stop it, or if the mag has excess gap to the frame.
Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure I understand your response. Are suggesting that a robust slide lock reload may have been what broke the Disassembly Bar?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure I understand your response. Are suggesting that a robust slide lock reload may have been what broke the Disassembly Bar?
No. My bad. It appears I managed to post a reply in the wrong thread. My reply was intended to go into a thread about a damaged ejector.

Springfield is notorious for not selling parts. It's one of the things I don't like about them.

Hopefully your pistol works well after you install the assumed third party disassembly bar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In an earlier post, I talked about how my older XDM had a fatal failure – meaning Roll, Tap and Rack or Lock, Rip, Reload and Rack did not solve the issue. The trigger would not reset and the grip safety seemed to be hung up. The culprit turned out to be a broken Disassembly Bar. The small end broke off and the gun refused to work. Had this been a pistol in an actual fight it could have been fatal for the defender.

I had posed the question as to whether the disassembly parts were needed at all - as all they do is keep you from having the pull the trigger to field strip the gun. In fact it would now seem they were a detriment as the failure of it parts would turn the pistol into a club. The XDM is a beast, in my opinion, to completely disassemble, clean and reassemble – especially when compared to something like a Glock or a Sig 320. One of the replies I received mentioned I should experiment, and so I did. I left out three parts all associated with the disassembly safety. I left out the Disassembly Bar (52), the Disassembler (53), and the Disassembly Lever Spring (54).

Starting out the trigger pull was 3-lbs and 3oz, based on my electronic gauge (average of 5 pulls), but keep in mind I had installed Powder River trigger parts, which if memory serves me was a new sear, trigger face and perhaps a spring change – can’t remember exactly. The XDM trigger was already pretty good, but the Powder River parts were an improvement. This is strictly a competition gun so I was OK with the barely above 3-lb trigger pull.

I broke the XDM down completely except for the magazine release, and hind sight being what it is, I should have left the grip safety alone. What a pain in the butt it was getting that piece of the puzzle back in. Anyway, while I had it apart I smoothed and buffed any bearing or wear surfaces I could find other than the sear itself. I have found a great cheap tool for doing this sort of smoothing and it does not involve a Dremel. I use a beauty supply 4-way nail buffer by Tropical Shine. And it works great. It has blue, pink, white and grey section, each one being a finer grit. The nice thing about a gun that has a lot of rounds through it, is that it is easy to figure out which parts are rubbing against each other.

I cleaned, lubed and reassembled the XDM leaving out the disassembly parts mentioned above and the gun runs fine. Launches a #2 pencil almost to the ceiling tiles, and the trigger pull is now a very consistence 2-lbs and 15.1oz (so basically 3-lbs) – average of six pulls, four of which were exactly the same. The only other change made the pistol over the years was an Apex mag release and extra power spring for the magazines.

Have a Good One - TEX

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
I'm a few days late...my apologies....

The Springer Precision YouTube Channel would have helped. Their trigger kit for the XDM eliminates the auto-take-down, and they also have a video detailing the grip safety disassembly/reassembly.

Glad you figured it out, @TEX (y)

Unfortunately, I don't have a feel for the durability of the auto-take-down components as all of my XDMs are without (using the Springer kits). I don't recall it being a particular problem, with my BE.com searches into long-term/high-round count usage - I want to say this was a one-off weirdo instance. 🤪

How much mileage on this gun, @TEX ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm a few days late...my apologies....

The Springer Precision YouTube Channel would have helped. Their trigger kit for the XDM eliminates the auto-take-down, and they also have a video detailing the grip safety disassembly/reassembly.

Glad you figured it out, @TEX (y)

Unfortunately, I don't have a feel for the durability of the auto-take-down components as all of my XDMs are without (using the Springer kits). I don't recall it being a particular problem, with my BE.com searches into long-term/high-round count usage - I want to say this was a one-off weirdo instance. 🤪

How much mileage on this gun, @TEX ?
Probably 15-20 K rounds and lots of dry firing. Ran IDPA Nationals with it some years back. Finished 2nd in division ESP. Can't seem to line up any decent big IDPA matches for the rest of the year due to my weird schedule, but will do a major USPSA match later in the year and decided to use the XDM. Dug the XDM out to check zero and clean it. It crashed in less than half a box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts