Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have had a .45 cal xdm for about 5-6 years now, I've shot it and carried it a lot and it's pretty great.
The only problem it gave me was it used to throw spent shells every direction but 3 o'clock, I replaced the ejector with one of those "extremem ejectors" and it's been fine ever since.
Another notable thing is that once i took the whole slide apart after it got wet (this was after about 5-600 rounds through it) and the striker retaining pin was really bashed and flattened out, I had to destroy it to get the gun apart. I replaced it and havent checked again and it's been way over 600 more rounds since then lol , the pins were a dollar when I last checked, I need to order a couple extra, it's the same diameter pin that holds on the backstrap but half as long so if it was mad max times, you could use that and cut it to size and I guess just duct tape your backstrap on. That's what I plan to do anyway if/when that happens.
Other than that, I have loved my XDM, it's the Lipsey's 4.5" tacticool one in dookie brown aka flat dark earth with the threaded barrel and supressor sights by the way.
I would really like to run a co-witnessed dot that you can change the battery without uninstalling and I would like to do this to my XDM whether it's buying a new slide or getting mine milled, I would prefer to just get mine milled. ANyway, I'll be lurking. I am in the upper midwest, Minneapolis area if anyone is or knows someone who works with XD slides around my area.
Happy shooting and internet utilizing!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi @XDlolXD,

Let this old noob toss you a shy wave 👋 🙋‍♂️ and welcome you to the forum. Nice work with the ejector. Who makes it? I haven't gotten into red dots yet but I'm sure you can find what you're looking for around here somewhere. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I don't have an XD/XDM with a red dot. I've got them on CZs and an M&P.

I considered getting my XD 5" .45 milled for a red dot a couple years ago but never got around to it and don't shoot it much these days (too darn many other projects I'm slowly working through.)

Couple ways to mount a red dot on your pistol. One is to buy a rear sight/dovetail mount. That requires removing the rear sight and install the mount in the dovetail and then installing your red dot of choice on the mount. Some people do it like that but most go to the second method - red dot mounted directly to/into the slide. Some pistols come with the slide milled for a red dot (called Optics Ready - or OR) but many have to have the slide milled to make a spot to set the red dot and attach it to the slide with screws.

Sounds like you'd have to have your XD slide milled for a red dot, or go the rear sight dovetail mount route.

I can't suggest a good place to have the slide milled (based on other products I've bought for mine I'd check out Powder River Precision) as I've not had any done, yet.

As for the red dots? Lots of choices out there. Some are reliable for range use/plinking but not really tough enough for every day carry/rough use. My every day carry guns used to have RMR (Trijicon) on them. Had some issues the company would not fix and I switched to Holoson red dots. No problem for about 8 years with the Trijicon sights. Can't use them as intended now so I've gone to Holosons. So far, no issues with the Holoson sights either (just a few months of use).

The Trijicon and Holoson sights are supposed to be the most durable. You can watch youtube videos of reviewers beating them on wood posts (striking the sight against the wood post to eject/clear/chamber the next round) and even dropping them repeatedly with the pistol upside down so the sight strikes on the cement pad only to find that even though it looks broken it still works just fine and didn't even lose zero.

The advantages of a red dot?
1. Easy to see, all the time. If I lose my glasses I can't see the front sight. The dot is blurry, but visible. I can put a blurry dot on the target all day while the iron sights are useless (without my glasses).
2. With a red dot you don't have to align the sights with each other and the target. You look at the target, not the dot, and when the dot is on the target you pull the trigger. Almost like using a laser. The dot (red, green, amber, whatever color it is) is used like a laser - when it's on the target the bullet will hit where you put the dot.

One other thing. The red dot does not have to be in the center of the lens. Even if the dot is not centered the bullets still go to where the red dot is on the target.

Good luck in your journey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have an XD/XDM with a red dot. I've got them on CZs and an M&P.

I considered getting my XD 5" .45 milled for a red dot a couple years ago but never got around to it and don't shoot it much these days (too darn many other projects I'm slowly working through.)

Couple ways to mount a red dot on your pistol. One is to buy a rear sight/dovetail mount. That requires removing the rear sight and install the mount in the dovetail and then installing your red dot of choice on the mount. Some people do it like that but most go to the second method - red dot mounted directly to/into the slide. Some pistols come with the slide milled for a red dot (called Optics Ready - or OR) but many have to have the slide milled to make a spot to set the red dot and attach it to the slide with screws.

Sounds like you'd have to have your XD slide milled for a red dot, or go the rear sight dovetail mount route.

I can't suggest a good place to have the slide milled (based on other products I've bought for mine I'd check out Powder River Precision) as I've not had any done, yet.

As for the red dots? Lots of choices out there. Some are reliable for range use/plinking but not really tough enough for every day carry/rough use. My every day carry guns used to have RMR (Trijicon) on them. Had some issues the company would not fix and I switched to Holoson red dots. No problem for about 8 years with the Trijicon sights. Can't use them as intended now so I've gone to Holosons. So far, no issues with the Holoson sights either (just a few months of use).

The Trijicon and Holoson sights are supposed to be the most durable. You can watch youtube videos of reviewers beating them on wood posts (striking the sight against the wood post to eject/clear/chamber the next round) and even dropping them repeatedly with the pistol upside down so the sight strikes on the cement pad only to find that even though it looks broken it still works just fine and didn't even lose zero.

The advantages of a red dot?
1. Easy to see, all the time. If I lose my glasses I can't see the front sight. The dot is blurry, but visible. I can put a blurry dot on the target all day while the iron sights are useless (without my glasses).
2. With a red dot you don't have to align the sights with each other and the target. You look at the target, not the dot, and when the dot is on the target you pull the trigger. Almost like using a laser. The dot (red, green, amber, whatever color it is) is used like a laser - when it's on the target the bullet will hit where you put the dot.

One other thing. The red dot does not have to be in the center of the lens. Even if the dot is not centered the bullets still go to where the red dot is on the target.

Good luck in your journey.
Thanks, good info.I have been leaning towards getting the slide milled or getting a different slide. altogether.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts