Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XDm that I shoot well. Is the new trigger that much better to justify the upgrade?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Full disclosure: I have both the old 3.8 full size as well as the old 5.25. I used to have the old 3.8 compact and the first two generations of the 4.5. I miss those three guns. None of the triggers on any of the XDm’s bothered me. Then I held the XDM Elite OSP in my hand and I knew I had to have it. Never mind that I have no intention of owning a can or don’t really like a red dot on a handgun; the Elite OSP felt great in my hand. And so did the improved trigger. But as much improvements that they made on the trigger, it’s still an XDM trigger.

What I’m saying is, unless you just want an Elite (and lemme tell ya, it’s a sweet feel) don’t waste your money. Get a better trigger for the one you have and spend a third of the money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your advice. I saw a video where Rob Leatham said he was putting flat faced triggers on all his guns. I haven't tried one yet

Reactions: M. J.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I owned two of the original XD-m 5.25 models, and I specifically sold both due to my dislike for the trigger. Here is the story:

Several years ago I won an XD-m 5.25 bi-tone in the, now defunct, GlockTalk forum raffle. After picking up the new 5.25 beauty, I was immediately turned off by the less than stellar trigger on what was supposed to be a "competition-level" handgun. I took it to the range, and although i liked the accuracy, I still could not accept the trigger, and was unwilling to invest well over $100 to make it better. I then sold the like-new XD-m to my wife's boss. A year went by, and I was feeling a bit of regret that I hadn't given the XD-m 5.25 a fair shake, so I went and bought the all black version. I once again had an acceptable few trips to the range, but I never warmed to the gun due once again to the trigger. I mulled over doing a trigger upgrade, but in the end I just decided to sell it and put the money towards a 5" version of the PPQ... I can tell you that the PPQ trigger straight out of the box is so good that it is as if it comes from another galaxy.

Fast forward to a few months ago, when the XD-m Elite was introduced... After reading that Springfield had just introduced a new "Elite version of the XD-m with an improved trigger, I decided that it was time once again to try one out, so I bought the XD-m 5.25 Elite Precision. Upon taking it to the range, I realized that THIS was the XD-m that I had been waiting for. Did it have a World-class trigger like a PPQ, VP9 or an Apex M&P? No, but it was finally a trigger that was not a mismatch to the handgun, and was actually pretty good. I don't think that I will be selling this XD-m Elite anytime soon.

Plenty good for me!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm wondering this too... what's the chances of this being somewhat of a drop-in upgrade?

M. J. do the parts hook up in all the same places?

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I have a XDM9 5.25 that had some trigger work done by Springer. looks stock, but is supposedly adjustable. I have never tried to adjust it. I have added a 'Memory Pad' Grip Safety and a extended Magazine release.

I have two XDM10's 5.25 and 4.5, they have pure stock triggers that I think work well.

I have a XDM9 Elite 3.8" inbound so I'll find out for myself how this works.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a XDM9 5.25 that had some trigger work done by Springer. looks stock, but is supposedly adjustable. I have never tried to adjust it. I have added a 'Memory Pad' Grip Safety and a extended Magazine release.

I have two XDM10's 5.25 and 4.5, they have pure stock triggers that I think work well.

I have a XDM9 Elite 3.8" inbound so I'll find out for myself how this works.

I just got the new Elite 3.8 compact. I also have the Elite OSP. The triggers are definitely different from my two 10mm’s (5.25 and 4.5), but strangely enough, not as different as I expected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got the new Elite 3.8 compact. I also have the Elite OSP. The triggers are definitely different from my two 10mm’s (5.25 and 4.5), but strangely enough, not as different as I expected.
I have been looking everywhere for the compact. Where did you find it?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Even the most basic PRP trigger kit is a huge improvement over stock on the XDM.
I'd like to know how this modification compares to the Elite's trigger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an XDm that I shoot well. Is the new trigger that much better to justify the upgrade?
This may have been covered but this is my opinion. I own an XDM9 3.8 full size. I bought it a couple months before the XDM Elite was announced. When the Elite came out it had everything I wished was on the standard XDM. Such as a match grade trigger, a larger grip safety, ambidextrous slide lever, bigger slide serrations. I cracked my thumb nail twice while racking the XDM because my sweaty hand slipped off of the slide serrations and got caught on the rear sight. The only upgrade I didn't want on the XDM that the Elite has is the flared mag well and higher capacity magazine. But the flared mag well on the Elite can be removed and then you can use standard XDM mags if you want.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't own an Elite but have the std 3.8 for many years. Have dry-fired the Elite a few times while handling them and it's certainly an upgraded trigger over old but still not as nice as others like PPQ, VP9, etc. I want the Elite bad but also don't know if it's enough of an upgrade over my old 3.8. NOW if the 3.8 was available in OSP I'd be all over it. Upgraded trigger and OSP would definitely do it for me. Not sure why neither of the 3.8 Elites aren't OSP yet, the Hellcat and XDS mod2 both offer OSP. ???

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Elite OSP is more of a full size tactical line , I don't think they will add OSP to their 3.8" compacts any time soon most who have OSP ready pistols never use the optional red dots anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I have done a lot of Dry Fire with my XDM9 Elite 3.8 and think it is a comfortable trigger and very consistent, my Lyman scale says 5.4 pounds . It doesn't feel that heavy. Doesn't feel light either I think it works. The factory grip safety with the memory pad is a nice refinement. Love the 'U' notch sights.

Reactions: alexyef

·
Registered
19 Posts
For people selling XD models because of the stock trigger...that's like selling your car because you don't like the stereo. Upgrade the stereo. I don't think I have a single gun where I haven't upgraded the trigger or the springs at the very least, even ones that supposedly come with popular triggers.

I have an XD9 that had a pretty bad trigger out of the box, too much pre-travel, heavy/gritty pull, did a full Springer kit with the seer, springs, trigger and trigger bar and its far better than any other stock striker pistol I've ever tried, night and day difference. Did the same with an XDM, totally different feel for the better. I've read people are happy with the PRP, too, but can't speak to that. You have options, explore them...it's well worth it. If the XD's didn't have the stupid takedown lever right where your lefthand thumb should rest it'd be perfect to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The PRP triggers are an upgrade to the elite IMO. I've got all models of the PRP from the extreme to the drop in models. The overall trigger pull length is shorter than the elite and range from 1 lb 14 oz to 2# 14 oz. If I shot idpa a lot, I'd definitely get an elite for SSP division, but for uspsa, I'd choose any XDm with the PRP.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts