Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned to a coworker that I was considering the XDM Elite 3.8. He told me there were documented instances of the grip safety pin bending or breaking in the previous generation. I’ve read some of the testimonials, but wanted to check here to see if anyone knew if an updated assembly is now being used.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I would certainly like to know what the hell these guys are drinking/smoking that come up with all this crap. Are they using their guns for hammers or pry bars? It seems that there is a group that have a hard on against that grip safety and just can’t get over it. I’m thinking 99% operator error as there are some people that seem to be able to break the un-breakable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll admit I was wondering what kind of treatment these pistols were getting to have an issue such as this. But there was a lot of finger pointing at SA by some individuals who experienced this, some with multiple guns that had identical failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I have owned a full size, XDM 4.5" .40 and a XDMc 3.8" 9mm for quite a few years. They have been with me for EDC, "high energy" training classes, regular range work, and plenty of dry fire. Round count is well over 2000 rounds or so... (stopped counting when there have just been no failures of any sort). The XDM's have been really flawless except for instructor created failures (putting a blank or empty round in a mag, intentionally creating a jam or whatever)..... IMO they are as good as any other firearm out there, and better than many of them.

TSIWrx on this forum has a ton of experience with the XDMs for classes and EDC for the XDMc as well and I think has also had zero problems. No telling what they have experienced to have caused those failures, but IMO, it's gotta be some serious mistreatment of the gun.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I thought about this and the only way that I could imagine that pin getting bent or broken is if the gun was fired without the grip safety depressed. Which would be next to impossible with a properly working gun. The other chance would be if some brainless mongo tried to constantly force-rack the slide without depressing the grip safety. This would force the sear down against the grip safety ledge and possibly bend the pin. This is also in no way the fault of the firearm, just the brainless operator that shouldn’t even own a gun.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
I think the grip safety is solid. Initially developed with a military contract in mind, it still worked for civilians. Works for me as do my 1911's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts