Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I think the XDM Elite fiber-optic U dot sights are excellent in the day, but I have my doubts about the visibility in low light conditions.

What's the consensus on replacing the front fiber optic sight with a front tritium versus replacing the front and rear with 3 tritium dots versus leaving the sights factory?

I know that some of the Hellcats use the white U rear sight with a tritium front sight. Does anyone have any experience with this at night? How does it compare with 3 tritium dots?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
My wife has an XDs with fiberoptic sights. If it is very dark (especially indoors) the sights are worthless.

Yes dump the fiber optic front sight at least, I prefer an all black rear sight but everyone likes something different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@ .45fan Okay, that was my experience as well. If I were to install night sight(s), part of the reason I'm hesitant to change the rear sight is that I have the Compact OSP and I don't want to block the removal of the optics plate. It appears that both the front and rear sight in these Trijicons will work: Trijicon P/N SP801-C-601116.

Any experience with Trijicon night sights? I think every one that I have used has either been Truglo or Ameriglo.

@TSiWRX I always have a flashlight in my pocket and I keep them around the house. Some are better than others, but they all work. So if I understand you correctly, as long as I have the flashlight with me, I might be okay running the factory.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
If you use a white-light, it won't matter, you'll be shooting the silhouette of the sights no matter what the configuration.

The self-luminous Tritium elements do present an advantage in lower-light situations where there is sufficient light for you to positively identify the target but cannot see the sight bodies, however, understand that since you are shooting the dot(s), you won't have as-precise aiming as you would in more well-lit situations where you can see the sight bodies. This post on PistolForums demonstrates this very well:

Whether you want a front-dot-only versus a dot-over-dot (or dash; whatever the rear sight marking is, this is just a straight-line, up/down format) versus a three-dot or dot/outline setup is going to be completely up to your personal preference, as there are pro/con arguments for each configuration. There's also ones where the front/rear markers are of different intensities - and ones where they are different colors. The best way to figure this out is to shoot these different configurations for yourself, under varying conditions/scenarios.

There are sights that pair a gas-tube with the fiber optic, as well as others that have a white-light-"recharged" luminescent ring that surrounds/highlights the tritium, to aid in transitional-light visibility (as even the brightest Tritium tube won't be visible until your eyes are at least somewhat adjusted to the darkness).

Once thing that you will have to somewhat compromise on, though, is that to house the Tritium tube the front sight post will need to be a bit wider. There are a few that are a bit thinner than the rest, but even then, they won't be able to match what you'd otherwise be able to get with the thinnest, non-Tritium.

We all "see" somewhat differently than one another, so there's that to play with, in terms of personal-preference as well.

This old thread was a monster one, and there's a lot of good in-links and out-links (I believe in one of my old posts there, I cited the above PF.com blog entry) -

Overall, my personal opinion is that while I don't need it, I'd like to have it, if-possible - but I don't have night-sights on either my primary HD nor EDC handguns, which both carry a WML (and I also EDC a handheld flashlight, and have one staged with my HD kit).

·
Registered
4,860 Posts

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
^ Ooooh! Those look nice!

I hope they're able to bring out a slim-front-post version, soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I think the DI's might be the best option given the space constraints caused by the optics plate. @Michael_Js is the 507c shake-awake like the 510c? Or do you have to turn it on before holstering like the Hex Dragonfly? (I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to use a red-dot that has no BUIS and has to be left on all day.)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I think the DI's might be the best option given the space constraints caused by the optics plate. @Michael_Js is the 507c shake-awake like the 510c? Or do you have to turn it on before holstering like the Hex Dragonfly? (I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to use a red-dot that has no BUIS and has to be left on all day.)
The 507C is shake-awake...auto shutoff...auto dimming...dual power source...change the batter without removing the sight... Info attached.

Peace,
Michael J.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts