Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am all about function over fashion. I shoot and carry Glocks all the time but also carry a Generation 1 XD9SC. But I got to tell you guys that the new XDM Elite 3.8 is a sweet looking pistol. The base model with the 3.8 inch barrel that has the frame that ends right where the slide ends. Very awesome looking. I didn't even know that H.S/S.A came out with a new or remade XD pistol. The serrations look way better , the bump on the grip safety is nice , the flat trigger , and supposedly the trigger pull is sweet. What are the store prices or "street" prices that you guys are seeing ? The hard part now is that I have to decide what pistol I have to sell to buy this one. I was just about to buy the IWI Jericho 941 polymer 9mm.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I always thought the original XDM was the best looking and most underrated striker fired pistol on the market, and I still do. I own 8 of them and all are reliable and accurate. The new Elite is awesome, but many of the new features are not priorities I would have asked for other than the new match trigger setup. I hope they drop in to the older XDM's and are cheaper than the PRP trigger upgrades.

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
I think the XD line in general and the XDM in particular are high quality pistols. I have two (XDMs).

I don't find their looks to be offensive, but it's tough to call any of the plastic pistolas available "sexy". The full sized VP9 and P30LS are close.

I believe that in my very first post here at XDTalk I said something to the effect that it (my first M) was about as attractive as a mud tire but that the ugly sucker could shoot.

Bear in mind that it was also my first polymer framed/striker pistol and that harsh critique was based on my own prejudices against, and dearth of experience with them.

I've mellowed.

'Bout time they un-F'd that trigger. Geez, SA... try to keep up.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well now is the hard part of deciding which of my pistols to sell to get the funds to buy this one. I have a Mint and I mean mint Glock 27. I would hate to sell it since it is so simple and reliable. Very few parts , no roll pins and can be taken down completely with no special tools. Then there's my Glock 21SF . Same thing as above , Decisions like these are hard to make.

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
I just bought one. My first gun actually. I'm having a hard time finding an own holster for it. Any suggestions?
What kind of holster are you looking for? Once that's pinned-down it's easier to recommend a source... there are dozens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great question and thanks for telling! I've heard that if there's room between the pistol and the body, it would be easier to train with and since I'm complete new to all of this out seems to make sense to go that that route.
I'm thinking that once I've attained some level of proficiency, I'd then start thinking about concealment.

One of the problems I'm having is not knowing which XD-M models share the same platform. When shopping online, I rarely see the xdm "Elite" 3.8 but instead see only xdm 3.8. So my question is, are there multiple xdm models that come in the 3.8 barrel length and if so, would the same holster perfectly fit both guns?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
Great question and thanks for telling! I've heard that if there's room between the pistol and the body, it would be easier to train with and since I'm complete new to all of this out seems to make sense to go that that route.
I'm thinking that once I've attained some level of proficiency, I'd then start thinking about concealment.

One of the problems I'm having is not knowing which XD-M models share the same platform. When shopping online, I rarely see the xdm "Elite" 3.8 but instead see only xdm 3.8. So my question is, are there multiple xdm models that come in the 3.8 barrel length and if so, would the same holster perfectly fit both guns?

Thanks again!
I don't think there are any significant dimensional differences between the original M and the Elite that would require a different holster.
As for makers, I use Vedder and G-Code for daily IWB carry. Both are top quality. (Pics below are of my EDC P30sk in Vedder and a G-Code Incog for a 3.8 XDM). I'm also a fan of Vedder's cobra-buckle belts.
I also have some prettier leather OWB belt slides from Zoglonje, Mitch Rosen, and Tennessee Holster Co (a sponsor here) that only ever get used in winter or if camping/fishing.
Until you know the hows and whens of your own carry schedule/routine it's difficult to recommend one maker or type over another... a lot of people start out with a hybrid like Alien Gear or Cross Breed, some move on, some stick w the hybrids. That conversation could go on forever. As I said, there are dozens of quality holster makers and people who carry daily will always have their favorites, and a box full of also-rans that just didn't quite work out.

Keeping the grip of the pistol away from your body is to aid in a speedy, unencumbered draw. As long as you can get the thumb of your gun hand in there to grip the pistol you're fine. Keeping the gun tight to the body is better for concealment... it's really a non-issue that takes care of itself, IMO. I would, however, recommend checking the "Combat Cut" box (if available) when buying a carry holster... this cuts the "lip" of the holster lower so you can get a full grip while the gun is still holstered while (hopefully) keeping the trigger fully covered.
20200802_101811.jpg

20200802_102100.jpg

If you're in Phoenix then you have some decisions to make about carry options in hot weather (I lived in Goodyear and Buckeye for 20+ yrs). The ugly palm tree shirt shown above is a hot weather cover garment... I'm fairly slim so a T-shirt alone will show my gun (unless the shirt is HUGE). It's not my favorite look, but it's what's required.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts