Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a XDM 9mm and ust can't get a comfortable grip. I have average size hands but have the number 3 backstrap on, and still have a couple problems. The first problem is the grip is just too thin side to side, I can't get a good grip. My second problem is even with the large backstrap my trigger hits the middle of my finger, I find myself having to pull my finger back out of the guard alittle to keep the trigger on the first pad of my finger. What am I doing wrong? I'm not new to pistols, been shooting IDPA and USPSA for years, but not with this gun.

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
... even with the large backstrap my trigger hits the middle of my finger, I find myself having to pull my finger back out of the guard a little to keep the trigger on the first pad of my finger. What am I doing wrong?

That is not at all uncommon for many shooters. I have very long fingers so I have to do that with virtually every pistol I own. With practice it isn't an issue at all.

·
Registered
895 Posts
you should always move your finger out of the trigger guard and let it "float" to hit the front pad and for "trigger finger isolation" this however should have no effect on your grip. your grip is between your middle finger/ring finger and your thumb webbing/ball of palm area, that is the crucial grip point.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What are you used to shooting?

I just got an XDm and the grip is different than my 1911's. I did fidget with my hand position at first, but now I find it to be a very natural pointing and shooting pistol.

I have rather large hands and use the medium strap but always shoot with gloves.

I should have added that my trigger finger is positioned at the first joint.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got a XDM 9mm and ust can't get a comfortable grip. I have average size hands but have the number 3 backstrap on, and still have a couple problems. The first problem is the grip is just too thin side to side, I can't get a good grip. My second problem is even with the large backstrap my trigger hits the middle of my finger, I find myself having to pull my finger back out of the guard alittle to keep the trigger on the first pad of my finger. What am I doing wrong? I'm not new to pistols, been shooting IDPA and USPSA for years, but not with this gun.
I have the #3 backstrap on as well and see your point. However, I have a G19 and the XDM feels much better. Now, I haven't got a Gen 4 yet though. Try the Glock Gen 3 if you need a bigger grip.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Your XDm is obviously defective. Please send it to me immediately. I will waive the usual $100 disposal fee. :lol:

·
Registered
19,743 Posts
I found the backstraps didn't really change the feel of the gun, just the wrist angle to aim it with. The medium and large had me pointed skyward unless I cocked my wrist more than was comfortable. the small gives me a very natural aim with the gun.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Did you buy the gun without shooting it first? Some guns just don't work for some people. I learned that after reading how great the Sig P250 was and became determined to buy it, I rented it at the range just to confirm every magazine article written at the time and discovered I HATED it! I never buy anything without shooting first.

I know I shot the XDM9 before buying and liked it with the medium strap. I tried stepping up to the large strap after I bought it just to see but found it made it too difficult to thumb the magazine release.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I am just curious; when you went to the store to purchase it, how did it feel in the store? I have one on lay-a-way(Xdm 3.8 compact .40) that was really comfortable in the store. I hope I don't run into the same situation you are in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a similar dilemma when I first got my HS9 Service. Prior to my purchase, I was only able to hold the HS45 and liked it much, so I decided to buy the HS9, only to find out later that the grip of the 9 is smaller than the .45 :D I applied some 3M grip tape around the grip (just like I do w/ my other guns) and they helped a lot... though the girth still felt quite small. Like others said, perhaps a little more time shooting the gun, and it will start to fit well. Mine does now and am thinking of getting a 5" :D

On the other hand, it may also not really fit your hands, especially if you've been used to other guns. Try to get used to it a little more (dry-fire/live-fire)....you might adjust to it like I did. Nonetheless, good luck!

·
Registered
342 Posts
XDM don't fit hand. Get a new hand !

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you dont elect to exchange the gun, i reccomend looking for a Houge grip for the XD. it's less than 9.00 and significantly widens the grip. there is a small tab on the bottom (inserts into the back of normal XDs. they dont make one for XDM) that needs to be trimmed off on XDMs, but i have one and for my long fingers it does the trick. might wanna give it a try if you like the gun otherwise.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had to put my hands on the XDm before even thinking about it.

I originally looked at a Glock, but felt I was holding a brick in my hand. So it came down to 3 handguns.

The XDm (which I bought), the S&W M&P, and the FN FNX-40

The XDm felt the best, and I have fairly large hands. I can almost palm a full size basketball. It was the most natural feeling when gripping it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is a strange grip. But boy does it hold once you get it right. Just practice... although that custom cut grip tape looks nice.... :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Are you pulling the middle of the grip into the middle of the v in your shooting hand?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts