Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not new to reloading, but A 9mm has a tapered case and in a auto loader like XDm, I understand you need a full length taper die. Is there some dies better suited for the 9mm cartridge than others... before I purchase the wrong one?? There are so many out there... Lee, redding, Rcbs, Lyman,... not to mention the different models. I use an old C&H single stage press and was using Alliant Unique in the 38/357 but have been told that Bullseye is better for the 9.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Doesn't matter too much what brand of dies you buy, they all work. Lee's are certainly the best deal and work great. I prefer Dillon dies on a progressive press, but since you're using a SS, any dies will be fine.

I prefer slightly slower powders than BE for 9mm. WST, or 231 are good choices. BE will of course work as well, just be careful not to accidentally double charge a case.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
As Rox noted, all the die manuf dies will correctly resize te 9mm case if setup properly.
IMO, you already have one of the best 9mm powders for full midrange to full power loads in Unique. The guy that recommended BE is not an experienced or knowledgeable reloader. The 9mm is a small volumn/high pressure round. It builds pressure faster than say a round like the 45acp. Stuffing small charges of uberfast powder, like BE, can get you into trouble very quickly. Powder in sthe burn range of Unique are a better bet for 95% of the guys reloading 9mm.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Thanks Guys... I'll stick with unique and look for a die set on e-bay.
IMO, you are better off buying a new set of Lee carbide dies & call it good enough. The issue w/ E-bay, you never really know what you are getting & save very little over new stuff.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
IMO, you are better off buying a new set of Lee carbide dies & call it good enough. The issue w/ E-bay, you never really knwo waht you are getting & save very little over new stuff.
I've yet to see a good deal on reloading gear on eBay as well.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have loaded a ton with an RCBS carbide die set for my XD9. I use Unique or Power Pistol. I've never had any problems.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I use Hornady new dimension dies for both 9mm and 45acp. Both die sets work perfectly. I've very pleased with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts