Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(:( Wtf i think the trigger should be the most important thing on a comp gun. With the same trigger as regular xdm i don't see how this pistol sets it self above the competition. Glock 34 and Smith m&p pro 9 both have around 40% perecent less trigger pull then the new XDM comp right out the box.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
How do you know the only review of the pistol the writer says the reset is a 10th of an inch. That would mean the trigger has some kind of work on it.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
sniff sniff? Is that the stench of rank speculation I detect?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I read it from Rob Leathmen himself on Brian Enos shooting comp forums. The trigger will be the same as the regular xdm at 6lb-8lbs with the same reset according to Rob's screen name TGO. Post number#70. New xdm - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo! - Page 3.
According to Rob the 525 has ALL the features he asked for in a competition gun. Why, for the love of everything good and holy, wouldn't he ask for a better trigger?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read it from Rob Leathmen himself on Brian Enos shooting comp forums. The trigger will be the same as the regular xdm at 6lb-8lbs with the same reset according to Rob's screen name TGO. Post number#70. New xdm - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo! - Page 3
The Brian Enos thread is a good thread for those interested. Rob just speculated on the price:

BTW, the price thing. There never was a 5.25 at a Cabella's for $1400.00! Just to be clear, the 5.25 is not going to cost $600.00 more than a 4.5 XDm. I'm guessing more like the price of an adjustable sight install on a fixed sight XDm.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I suspect more XDm marketing hype, much like the "match grade barrel".
The new gun looks cool, and I like the FO sight but if the trigger hasn't been upgraded then it's just being marketed as a comp gun.
Flared mag well and extended mag release, anyone?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
This is a good thread for those interested. Rob just speculated on the price:

BTW, the price thing. There never was a 5.25 at a Cabella's for $1400.00! Just to be clear, the 5.25 is not going to cost $600.00 more than a 4.5 XDm. I'm guessing more like the price of an adjustable sight install on a fixed sight XDm.
Yep heard the gun talk radio interview and they said it's under a grand.

·
Registered
895 Posts
i love the trigger of the xdm line, once broken in it is amazing, i dont see everyones beef with it, sorry i like a trigger that you can feel, but for anyone thats picky i heard there is a company that literally removes the trigger and installs a horse hair in its place so even the slightest wind will set it off... perfect for you picky no trigger at all people.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
i love the trigger of the xdm line, once broken in it is amazing, i dont see everyones beef with it, sorry i like a trigger that you can feel, but for anyone thats picky i heard there is a company that literally removes the trigger and installs a horse hair in its place so even the slightest wind will set it off... perfect for you picky no trigger at all people.
Respectfully, I gather that your experience with handguns is not... broad.

Not trying to be a putz here, but trigger reset is KEY. A long, goofy sweep towards the front of the trigger guard, followed by a long, stacked pull until break is NOT ideal.

Shoot a 1911 with a decent trigger job and get back to us.

I don't necessarily advocate for a light trigger - just a crisp one, with a nice, short reset. The Springfield XD doesn't have that, but the sweep is akin to the great revolvers in the '70s from Smith and Wesson, albeit about 1/2 the distance. The XD Competition model SHOULD have a short, light-ish (sub 5 lb.), crisp trigger with a likewise reset. The fact that it doesn't isn't a good thing, and will hamper people seeking to buy the pistol for competition.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Just when is broken in? I had over 2500 rounds through mine, and it was still a mushy bag of poo. I had a springer precision trigger job done on it, and it's now a good trigger. Not great, but good. FYI, 7200 rounds as of this morning.

·
Registered
895 Posts
compare an xdm's trigger reset to a stock xd, the xdm is far less. they even clearly advertise 'Minimal reset trigger' since the xdm is an upgraded xd it comes with a better trigger already, 'mush' has nothing to do with reset

respectfully 'to each his own' i forget that sometimes
respectfully my handgun experience is broad, do you know me?

·
Registered
117 Posts
A competition gun should be ready right out of the box and not need another modification especially a +$1K gun. I think even the stock triggers suck, but understand the problem with getting sued if Springfield made if too good.

If you pay close to $550 for your XDm, then throw in another $150 for a trigger job, then you could have purchased a Sig which is a better class of gun than a XD/XDm. Even the Glock trigger can be modified far cheaper than the XD/XDm.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Dont forget, this gun was meant to compete in the production class. Also, if you read through the thread on the Brian Enos forum, Rob Leatham says he shot one of his best strings with the stock trigger.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dont forget, this gun was meant to compete in the production class. Also, if you read through the thread on the Brian Enos forum, Rob Leatham says he shot one of his best strings with the stock trigger.

That guy is a master at shooting and can shoot any xd good. It is very clear that he asked and will have his trigger upgraded as it is a significance benefit in performance.

Glock's & Smith's comp model's have a 4.5lb -4lb trigger with a smoother shorter reset right out of the box from the factory. It's a significant advantage in performance to the heavy 8lb trigger and long reset on the XDM. Why cant Springfield make a improvement? Very disappointing as a huge XD/XDM fan. Being that the XD/XDM is not as mod friendly and mod's are more pricey i think Springfield should make it a point to give a better starting point on this gun, especially being a comp model.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That guy is a master at shooting and can shoot any xd good. It is very clear that he asked and will have his trigger upgraded as it is a significance benefit in performance.

Glock's & Smith's comp model's have a 4.5lb -4lb trigger with a smoother shorter reset right out of the box from the factory. It's a significant advantage in performance to the heavy 8lb trigger and long reset on the XDM. Why cant Springfield make a improvement? Very disappointing as a huge XD/XDM fan. Being that the XD/XDM is not as mod friendly and mod's are more pricey i think Springfield should make it a point to give a better starting point on this gun, especially being a comp model.
Point taken;)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
According to Rob the 525 has ALL the features he asked for in a competition gun. Why, for the love of everything good and holy, wouldn't he ask for a better trigger?
Or maybe because he has a custom shop do all his trigger work, so his triggers are exactly what he wants them to be.

The nice thing about the way they do them is they are more than suitable out of the box for duty use and those shooters who want a sweet trick trigger can get one. Even high end 2K+ guns generally don't have the best trigger job they can have.

I don't have any info on the pricing, but I would think that if you take an XDM and put adjustable sights on it, you will be in the ball park for price if SA sticks to their general pricing guidelines.

We have different front sights being made, so there will be options for the early adapters. The rear sights will take a little bit longer.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Or maybe because he has a custom shop do all his trigger work, so his triggers are exactly what he wants them to be.

The nice thing about the way they do them is they are more than suitable out of the box for duty use and those shooters who want a sweet trick trigger can get one. Even high end 2K+ guns generally don't have the best trigger job they can have.

I don't have any info on the pricing, but I would think that if you take an XDM and put adjustable sights on it, you will be in the ball park for price if SA sticks to their general pricing guidelines.

We have different front sights being made, so there will be options for the early adapters. The rear sights will take a little bit longer.
Word !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts