Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a shooting noob, but tend to be relatively accurate. Shot several weapons in a short period of time, and this is the first one that I'm consistently off in one direction. 1911 was all over the map, and so was a glock. So, it could be me, but I'm kinda doubting it. I tend to exhibit no identifiable pattern.

Back to my XDM, at 25' I'm shooting 2-3" left of center. My youngest was doing the same thing. I used the Sellier and Bellot Police Ammo that was on sale at Cabela's. I found it to be hot, bought a box of Federal to take back to the range next week.

At what point do I make the decision to adjust the sight, and how much would it move to correct the error? We're going through CCW class next Saturday, maybe have the instructor run a few round through it?

·
Registered
931 Posts
you say you are a "shooting noob", but you tend to be accurate. then you say with the 1911 and glock you are all over the place.

this kinda contradicts you being accurate.

some pointers:

need to focus on grip, trigger control. Those are the two MOST common problems with shooting, especially the XD. You can probably find over 1M threads related to this topic.

Look online (or on this forum) for the pistol correction chart to help diagnose your shooting problems.

Lastly, you can bench test/shoot your pistol to ensure it is not the gun. 99.99999% chance it is NOT the gun

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Springfield XD: Shoots where ya point it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've had my XDm for 2 years and I have put 10,000 rounds thru it in that time. It always shot a "smidge" left. Which I believed was fine and completely my fault. I had a regional match coming up last saturday so I said "the heck with it" and I asked my local gun smith to drift my rear sight just a bit to the right.(moving the point of impact to the right also)

I'm glad I did. I ended up shooting a stage with a target at 35 yards and I nailed it w/o a point down. To make it more complicated the target was behind and partially covered by a "Non-Threat" which you would lose points if you hit.

Video here:

At the end my friend zoomed in on the target, and I'm certainly glad that I had the sights drifted. FYI - I was aiming for high-chest/collarbone area. I know there is no "bullet-drop" at that range, but Non-Threats are like bullet magnets for me, and I fully intended to take the -1's than I was to take a 5 second hit.

So in the end, the accuracy on my XDm was fine for 5 - 10 yard shots, just an inch or two to the left. But shooting longer distances I am glad I had my sights drifted.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly think there was an issue with the rented glock. I barely hit the paper, my wife missed it several times.

10 shots with the 45, first two missed the target, until I settled down and walked it in. I was struggling with the gun a bit, but will admit it was my inexperience.

I generally hit 4" circle or less at 21 or 25' with the 5 other 9's I've shot. This XDM-C in particular, is generally a smaller circle, but the center (and all the shots are left). My youngest who is scary accurate for her first time out, also tended left

My 22/45, I'm starting to play at 75' with open sights. 5 of 10 shots were in roughly 3" corner target. I'm not sure where the other 5 shots went, because the target already had a bunch of holes in it, but they weren't in that small space. Which surprises me, a LOT. My hands tend to shake, can't see crap, yet I'm hitting the target pretty accurately.

We're going back out sometime during the week with plain old Federal ammo, I'll see if that makes a difference, and will warm up with the 22/45.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Coming from the 1911 I had huge issues trying to learn the trigger on the XDm (my first plastic pistol). I was consistantly left and low when shot off hand. If I rested it on sandbags and concentrated really hard on trigger control I could easily put them right in the bull. Go offhand and back to low and left. Before finally giving up on the pistol I purchased a Powder River trigger kit to see if it would help. The results were simply amazing and I now shoot this pistol better than any 1911 I have owned. The shorter take-up and quicker re-set were the biggest help, but the lighter trigger pull certainly didn't hurt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
trigger control, grip and not limp wristing the pistol is the most common reasons for bad grouping and malfunctions but also have to mention that ammo(especially reloads) can also factor in

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to the range again today. I'll make sure I warm up (and settle down) with the 22/45 before touching the 9. After I get the test shots in, SWMBO needs to get some more practice in before our CCW class Saturday. I want her to go through the class with HER 9. Hopefully work won't be too much of a distraction :)

While some may like the S&B Police load, I wasn't a fan. Taking some plain ole walmart federal today.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got to the range, not too wound up from work, loaded plain old federal in the 9, and my bulk cci stuff into the 22/45

Started off with the 22/45 and basically said WTF, why am I shooting left, these guys were right, it's all me. So I started shooting with the 9, and they were left as seen below and they were both at 21'

this outing was mostly to give SWMBO some time with her new gun, but every once in awhile I got some shots in with my plinker and I'm looking saying, now I settle down... this was also at 21' you only need to worry about the orange highlighter, those were the only shots I owned on this page, the rest were my wife's and the lower left, I was aiming for the vertical line and horizontal between the lines

So I said, ok, what does 50' look like, once again, it's only the orange highlighter that were my shots. So I said screw this, brought the target back to 21', and unfortunately only had the S&B hot ammo for the 9 and shot off the grouping you see below

So is it just me?

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm a shooting noob, but tend to be relatively accurate. Shot several weapons in a short period of time, and this is the first one that I'm consistently off in one direction. 1911 was all over the map, and so was a glock. So, it could be me, but I'm kinda doubting it. I tend to exhibit no identifiable pattern.

Back to my XDM, at 25' I'm shooting 2-3" left of center. My youngest was doing the same thing. I used the Sellier and Bellot Police Ammo that was on sale at Cabela's. I found it to be hot, bought a box of Federal to take back to the range next week.

At what point do I make the decision to adjust the sight, and how much would it move to correct the error? We're going through CCW class next Saturday, maybe have the instructor run a few round through it?
You probably have done this already, but you mentioned you are a newbie so I have to ask, do you know for sure if you are RIGHT HAND DOMINANT AND RIGHT EYE DOMINANT? We just have to make sure so you are using the correct eye to line up your sights. If you haven't done so, you might want to check yours. This might be the reason why you're shooting all over the place.

Every person has it's own sight picture alignment. I, for some reason shoots left like you. ( I'm right hand, right eye dominant) The way I see my picture sight alignment is straight, but when a friend shot the same gun, it was landing right so I know that it's not the gun or the ammo.

So if your eye sight and sight picture alignment is squared away, then just adjust your rear sight slightly to the right, shoot five rounds, adjust until you are on dead center mass on your FPOA then apply blue loktite.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I'm right eye dominate :)

At the range today, the range owner and our CPL instructor wants both my wife (her gun) and I to use the pistol sighting blocks to see if it's off.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

At the range today, the range owner and our CPL instructor wants both my wife (her gun) and I to use the pistol sighting blocks to see if it's off.
As (assuming) more experienced shooters ... Why didn't they just fire a few rounds and see how the gun performed for them ?

·
Registered
178 Posts

So what's the verdict? The user or the equipment?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We were tired after being in the class all day, I didn't think it was an appropriate to try checking it out. The "experienced" shooters both said, what might be good for them, might not be good for me (or my wife). Sooo, I'll schedule some time out at the range when we have some time to do this right. Figure I'll start off using the blocks with the 22/45, because I know that is accurate and get a feel for how to use the block. Then I'll move to the 9. should probably let my wife warm it up with a few rounds first.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Survey says...

Partially user error, partially ammo.

I got some locally hand loaded hollow point 9's, and had a fairly small grouping... pretty much scattered around the circle. Put the Sellier & Bellot Police load back in, back to lower left. Anticipating the bigger bang?

What was really scary was watching my wife with the new ammo... damn, I'm not going to piss her off!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts